Activity Forums From C.J. Book Shop News

• Book Shop News

Posted by CJB on October 7, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Hi everyone!

We thought it might be a good and helpful idea to have an evergreen topic where we could quickly update you all about new items, items being retired, and discount/price updates in the book shop!

BrokenVoid replied 8 months, 3 weeks ago 25 Members · 185 Replies
  • 185 Replies
  • CJB

Administrator
    October 7, 2020 at 5:51 pm

To kick the topic off, we have a couple of big updates!

First,

Pins:

Now that we’ve finally settled in here in Portland and unpacked everything from the NYC office–

The Briar Society 2020 Chapter Pin is back in stock!

And to celebrate, it’s on sale this week for $16.50 (it’s a big boy)!

Members of The Briar Society can pick up a pin (or several) at the discounted member price of $9.

Second,

Candles:

The latest batch of AG ALchemy Magiq candles have been poured and cured and are going to ship out today!

If you’re interested in either the melts or one of the two jarred candles, check them out today so you can have yours included in this shipment!

Finally,

Downloads:

We’ve done a lot of work on the backend so that now when you buy an ebook from us, not only will you still receive a helpful email (and support) from our digital distributor Bookfunnel, the links to those books will now be available in the Downloads tab of your account page on the main site!

AND– we’ve also gone back and updated EVERY SINGLE PAST ORDER since 2017 so that anyone who’s bought an ebook from us should also see them in the Downloads tabs. (If you don’t, please let us know and we’ll look into it.)

• Catherine

December 1, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Since today was the official launch day for the new AG Alchemy: Chapters candles, I want to make sure they’re added here!

Plus, for today ONLY (12/1), you can get 15% off any of the new candles with the code CHAPTERS15!!

Plus, if you haven’t shopped any of our #Briarbroke2020 merch yet, you can browse it here in the Small Business Saturday category on our website!

We’ve got a bunch of new limited edition tees featuring designs from The Guide to Magiq, I Am the Cagliostro, the original Monarch Papers artwork, and an expanded, more easily searchable guild catalog with new guild badge tees and comfy sweatshirts!

• hamza

December 2, 2020 at 11:12 am

If you are unaware of it let me us make you aware we are importer of one of the finest stationery in town so knock on us if you required any stationery services at doorstep.

Follow:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tickstationery/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tickstationery

• CJB

Administrator
    December 10, 2020 at 6:25 pm

Just an FYI, if you want candles or melts in time for Christmas, tomorrow is the last day to order them. I’ll pour a new batch over the weekend and ship them out midweek once they cure!

If you bought a new Chapter candle or melt, I’m dropping them off at the post office in an hour!

• BrokenVoid

December 16, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Just got my Alistair and Ben candle. The postal service wasn’t very kind to the box but everything is intact. I love the AG Alchemy sticker on the outside. The holographic sticker is pretty wild to look at, and almost gives me a headache.

• BrokenVoid

December 16, 2020 at 7:28 pm

I also just realized it has a wood wick, which makes it ten times better! I didn’t know when I bought it but wood wick candles are my favorite.

• CJB

Administrator
      December 16, 2020 at 7:31 pm

Haaaaa yeah, we should probably mention that in the description. I hope you like the scent! (Be sure to let the wax melt across the entire candle the first time so that you get the most out of your candle.) :cjheart:

• BrokenVoid

December 16, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Yeah I saw that note on the back of the card. I’ve never thought about that with my other candles but it’s a great tip and I’ll be sure to do that in the future. The jar is still very cold so I’ll wait a little while before I light it.

• Lexington

December 16, 2020 at 7:44 pm

I have to say, that packaging was great. I could tell mine was banged up—Alistair & Ben too—but it survived just fine.

• CJB

Administrator
      December 16, 2020 at 7:48 pm

These boxes are pricey but they really keep the candles safe. Unfortunately, I used the last of my stock on this shipment and they’re now backordered until February.

Luckily, I have the original packaging we used for Magiq, small box + tons of crinkle paper, which is just as protective but not as cool. If any of your actual candles were damaged beyond burning by the post office, please let me know and I’ll conjure you up a replacement.

• CJB

Administrator
    December 16, 2020 at 7:57 pm

I’m especially proud of the Chapter line of candles because, aside from the absolutely beautiful “chapter header” images illustrated by my dear friend Sunny, these are completely “author-crafted.” The label design, the scent profile, the pouring, assembly, packing, and shipping.

They feel just as personal as the knowledge that some of you own the physical books I’ve written, more so in some ways, because I don’t really “touch” the books myself, outside of the writing and formatting. But these candles were in my hands every step of the way.

From me to one of my amazing readers. I think it’s so cool. :cjsmile:

As time allows, I want to do more things like this. The one-on-one connection thing.

• BrokenVoid

December 16, 2020 at 10:45 pm

I definitely like the Alistair and Ben candle, I do think I would like a fully-scented version more than the half-scented one I got. I have an almost constant stuffy nose, so even with the candle right next to me on my desk I can’t really smell anything other than the candle smoke. It’s an issue with me rather than the candle, but now I know when I inevitably order another one later on I should get the fully-scented version.

• CJB

Administrator
      December 17, 2020 at 1:38 am

I may tweak the “half” part of “half-scented” and if you find that this percentage is too low, let me know. Again, happy to replace it as I continue to hone in on the “master recipe” for these candles.

For the full scent candle, I currently use 9% fragrance and 4.5% for the half, but I feel like somewhere closer to 6% might be better because it’s notably less intense but still fills the room.

• BrokenVoid

December 17, 2020 at 1:46 am

I think that might be better. When the candle is lit I only occasionally get a very light scent from it, so it doesn’t feel like I’m really getting the intended effect from it. Maybe it’s just me, and others could have different opinions once they get theirs. I can smell it easily if I hold up the jar when the wax is hardened, but for some reason it doesn’t seem like it’s releasing much scent when it’s burning.

• CJB

Administrator
          December 17, 2020 at 4:41 pm

Yeah, 4.5% may just not be enough for “hot throw” of the fragrance. I’m going to pour a 6% candle and send it to you so I can get your thoughts.

• BrokenVoid

December 17, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Oh thank you! I’ll happily try it out and let you know.

• Augustus_Octavian

December 17, 2020 at 3:39 pm

I got my Alistair & Ben candle last night, and I have to say it’s my favorite so far! My packaging was pristine when it arrived, as was the candle. The instruction card is a really neat, helpful addition!

Just out of curiosity, I’m seeing a lot of “Alistair & Ben”’s in the comments – which was the most popular out of the three Chapter candles?

• CJB

Administrator
      December 17, 2020 at 3:44 pm

Alistair & Ben was the most popular by a country mile. :slight_smile: second was Martin, followed by Deirdre.

That’s probably the order I would’ve chosen them as a customer, just based on my personal preferences and the scent profiles in the descriptions.

• BrokenVoid

December 17, 2020 at 11:33 pm

I’ve had it burning in the kitchen for about an hour. Every now and then I can smell it briefly as I walk past, but as soon as I think about it it’s gone. It’s like it’s playing games with me.

• Ginger

December 18, 2020 at 3:52 am

Maybe it’s just the amount of Magiq CJ imbued the candle with. He put just a dash too much in that particular one, and now yours happens to be sentient and mischievous :joy:

• BrokenVoid

December 18, 2020 at 4:40 am

It sure does seem that way…

• josephinekelly

December 18, 2020 at 6:13 pm

I just got my Martin candle last night and it smells amazing! I haven’t had a chance to burn it yet, but I’m excited! Maybe it will knock some of that famous Marty focus into my brain and I’ll be able get some real work down on my novel!

• CJB

Administrator
      December 18, 2020 at 7:04 pm

That makes me so happy to hear! I’ve been burning a Martin candle in my office this week and the leather and sandalwood notes in particular make the room smell like a library. I’m glad you like it too!

• Tinker

December 18, 2020 at 10:07 pm

I got my Deirdre candle a couple days ago! I haven’t lit it yet, but it smells so nice!! It’s very reminiscent of a perfume I mixed for myself in high school and wore like, every day, but with a dash of something else that adds a nice balance.

• CJB

Administrator
      December 18, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Thank you for letting me know! I wanted to do a more floral scent but also wanted to balance the florals with sweeter elements like blackberries and lemon, and a touch of cedar and amber to add some earthiness and “age.”

• Augustus_Octavian

December 24, 2020 at 2:33 pm

My Martin wax melt for my office is arriving TODAY! and I’m so excited to smell it.

I bought this cool Edison bulb wax melter for it, because yes, I am ready to start a fragrant life.

• CJB

Administrator
      December 24, 2020 at 3:57 pm

That’s such a cool melter!

I saw this one on TikTok:

It flickers and looks like a little flickering, wood-burning stove and I’ve been coveting it even though I DO NOT need one more wax melter.

• Nimueh

December 24, 2020 at 4:15 pm

Ooo, this is gorgeous! Definitely gonna need to find myself a cool warmer like this when I finally manage to sort my desk situation out in the new year!! May need to ask you guys for your fav places to get melts (other than AG, of course :laughing: )

• Ginger

December 25, 2020 at 7:35 pm

The Martin wax melt arrived in the mail yesterday and let me tell you, I was hesitant because I’m not a big coffee person (read: not at all. Don’t @ me about that) but everyone in my family is so the actual scent of coffee is pretty welcoming woah this is a long sidebar

Anyways, I was hesitant when ordering because some coffee scents just … ain’t it …

But this wax melt is DIVINE

Just lovely.

It’s not in your face, just this subtle warm scent that makes a room feel favoured and worked in and cozy and ah it’s perfect for Martin.

I can’t wait for the Alistair and Ben candle to come :spiritseergimme:

• CJB

Administrator
      December 25, 2020 at 7:43 pm

OMG, that makes me SO happy.

I completely agree about coffee-scented things and I bought no less than ONE DOZEN different versions of coffee fragrance oil, trying to find the perfect one. Not sweet, not acrid or bitter, not “flavored” with vanilla or hazelnut… I wanted the smell of coffee beans and the steam coming off a cup of coffee and I didn’t stop until I ended up using a perfumer’s distillation of coffee instead of an oil marketed for candlemaking. There’s VERY little in the finished formula, but I couldn’t have a Martin candle without coffee. It just didn’t make sense.

• Ginger

December 25, 2020 at 7:53 pm

Woah that’s some serious dedication to finding the perfect scent. Just shows how invested you are in every aspect of your company, and I appreciate it dearly.

I think all your efforts more than paid off. :cjheart:

• CJB

Administrator
          December 25, 2020 at 8:01 pm

:cjheart: Thank you.

I love learning new skills and really enjoy making things for you all, especially when it’s a “concept to creation” process like these candles.

I could try and expand and make a line of candles based on popular books like a lot of (great and smart) candle makers do, but I’ve learned these past couple of years that when I instead focus on this world and enriching this experience for us, instead of trying to appeal to everyone, I am happier, you’re happier, and we slowly grow with people who “get it” instead of making an extra buck or two from people who don’t.

• Augustus_Octavian

December 26, 2020 at 8:58 pm

Absolutely, positively :100: – the scent is warm and inviting. The leather is more “vintage book” than “new leather jacket” and it’s spot-on perfect. Nice work, @CJB!

• CJB

Administrator
        December 26, 2020 at 11:16 pm

Thank you!!

• Augustus_Octavian

December 27, 2020 at 12:26 pm

You’re welcome!

• AugustAbel

January 2, 2021 at 6:21 pm

Dude, just got my candle melts, haven’t used them for their intended purpose yet, but they smell so good. I love Alistair & Ben but Martin’s is interesting, like it’s a barely there scent but it smells familiar and conjours lost memories, maybe I’ll be able to smell it better when I melt it and more specific scents. Deride is very floral smelling and slightly overwhelming while also smelling good but I’m hoping it’ll balance out once it fills a whole room.

• CJB

Administrator
      January 2, 2021 at 6:23 pm

:cjheart:

Deirdre definitely gets more complex in the melting/burning. Let me know your thoughts once you’ve had time to try them out!

• BrokenVoid

January 3, 2021 at 12:20 am

My half-scented Alistair and Ben candle has definitely gotten stronger now that I’ve burned it a few times. The first few times it was hard to smell but it’s really nice now.

• josephinekelly

January 3, 2021 at 9:01 pm

First time I burned the Martin candle, I was sitting next to it thinking it wasn’t very strong. But I got up to make lunch and when I came back into the room and it had deepened to this wonderful warm coffee/woodshop scent that sort of settled into the room. It was very cozy!

• Remus

January 3, 2021 at 5:40 pm

I finally got my Alistair and Ben candle (it took a holiday detour to Tennessee and Mississippi) and I really love the packaging AND the scent. I still haven’t burned away my Vivindity’s Glade candle (it’s just so pretty, plus it works well as a passive air freshener), but I’m excited to burn them both in the future.

• CJB

Administrator
    January 5, 2021 at 3:41 pm

Happy January, Mounties!

I’ve had the idea of doing Wheel of the Year melts and candles for a while but felt like January was the right time to launch them–

So I am!

Introducing … Imbolc, which now always gives me fond Cagliostro memories, and goes on sale today!

“Winter wanes and spring unfurls, cold earth and candles melt, a wand of birch for waking seeds in frozen ground once dwelt.”

Imbolc

It’s a frosty, cozy blend of birch branch, incense smoke, and new green leaf, perfect for altars or just dreaming of spring in winter!

Imbolc-Mood-2

I’m going to ship these all at once, on the 18th, to make sure they get to you by Imbolc, but they’re perfect for burning all the way to Beltane, which will be the next in line!

This is an uber-limited scent, so if you’re interested, pick one up!

• BrokenVoid

January 5, 2021 at 6:58 pm

Will these candles be available from now on like Magiq, or are they limited like the Vidivinty’s Glade?

• Catherine

January 5, 2021 at 9:45 pm

These will be limited and available until the next Wheel of the Year celebration, so until Beltane! (Around May 1).

• BrokenVoid

January 6, 2021 at 12:05 am

Gotcha, thank you.

• CJB

Administrator
    January 6, 2021 at 5:35 pm

Morning Mounties!

As we near the official publishing of The Book of Briars, ( :sweat_smile:) I wanted to give an update regarding the hardcovers some of you longtime Mounties may have pre-ordered waaaaay back in 2017 when The Monarch Papers was ending.

Originally, there was a bundle that included a guild-specific dust jacket over a clothbound book with silver foiling. The mockup looked like this:

Unfortunately, some things have changed in the subsequent years, including our printer no longer offering true clothbound covers, and the setup cost per version being pretty expensive.

So, logistically and financially, the above cover concept just won’t work now. But–

I have a solution I think you might like.

Lightning Source (our printer) does offer an option for a dust jacket over a case laminate cover. Normally, that wouldn’t be a viable option because you’d have the same cover on the book as you would the dust jacket, for twice the price, but with The Book of Briars, we happen to have two distinct covers.

The official cover, and the original cover from The Monarch Papers!

So if you pre-ordered a collection in 2017 with a limited guild dust jacket hardcover, here’s what I’ve put together to make up for the changes:

You get both!

But, if you’re not happy with this option and would rather be refunded the cost of the hardcover, I completely understand. Just send me a message via the support chat on ackerlygreen.com and I’ll take care of you.

The two questions left are…

Should the original case laminate cover be the locked or unlocked version?

And should it have all the scuffs and scratches it suffered on its journey back from 1998?

• Lexington

January 6, 2021 at 7:15 pm

Wow, that is GORGEOUS.

• Ginger

January 7, 2021 at 3:02 am

That’s a great alternative!

Wow that was so long ago I don’t even remember if I ordered it or not :thinking::woman_shrugging:t2: But I’m excited either way!

I think unlocked would be fun! Because then we get the symbols not just the keyholes plus we’re reading the actual thing so it makes sense to be unlocked ?

Time travel scuffs

Are we talking about the crispy Book?

Do you have a mock-up for that? :eyes:

• Ashburn

January 7, 2021 at 3:20 am

That would be our copy, I think the time travel scuffs would be from the Day or Change bringing forward the 98’s copy.

I think that’s a great work around! I’d go with unlocked w/time travel scuffs.

• Ginger

January 7, 2021 at 3:29 am

Ah you’re right.

I was just trying to visualize what that would look like and my brain immediately went Cripsy Book? You want the Crispy Book?

Guess it’ll just be burned into my memory forever :joy: Pun fully intended.

Then yes. I personally think travel scuffs would be super cool!

• Sellalellen

January 7, 2021 at 9:23 am

I also immediately thought crispy version. That was a rough day.

• CJB

Administrator
    January 6, 2021 at 10:06 pm

It’s a big week for the Ackerly Green Book Shop…

The Briar Society Coin Relic is now officially available for purchase!

IMG_0994-1

IMG_1000

IMG_1008

If you have an annual Briar Society membership you’ll see the coin is free for you, and monthly members can purchase it at a 50% discount, just go through the checkout and pay the flat rate shipping class we usually use for pins!

• CJB

Administrator
    January 7, 2021 at 3:46 am

I can do scuffs!

• Sapphire

January 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm

Awww man, the candles especially the wheel of the year range, I want so much! But shipping is brutal, I know there isn’t much you can do about it, but it does mean I cant justify it to myself :frowning:

Guessing there’s no option to combine shipping?

I shall have to live vicariously through everyone else’s reviews and hope shipping comes down at some point in the future.

• CJB

Administrator
      January 7, 2021 at 4:19 pm

EDIT: Please read to the bottom because there ends up being potential good news!

Believe me, I feel you with how frustrating shipping is on this kind of stuff. Shipping one candle to your neck of the woods costs $28-$30 which is just absurd. So I charge a flat rate of $19 and eat the $9-$10 difference myself so that readers outside of the US and Canada can get cool stuff they want. That $9-$10 is the profit I would’ve made on the candle. (I’m not saying that to be all wow, I’m awesome, I just want you to know I completely understand how frustrating this is and am trying to make it a little less painful.)

(side note, my print-on-demand stuff like shirts, hoodies, and hats are fulfilled by Printful which has fulfillment in the US AND Europe which makes shipping for those products MUCH more reasonable.)

The reason I don’t combine shipping on candles right now is because I only have reinforced boxes that ship one at a time. I am looking into bigger boxes to ship 2+ candles but boxes are hard to come by right now during the pandemic and using a different box than the kind I’m using right now would also mean I’d have to buy additional packing material, etc.

So, hmmmm … I thought this was going to be a boring, disappointing business post, but then I did a little calculating …

If I could find a box and packing for 3-4 candles, the cost of sending 3 candles via USPS in a 9x9x4 box would be around $45-$50 which is definitely a savings… I could charge somewhere around $38-$42. would that be something non-US, non-CA readers would be interested in?

ALSO, (this post is getting happier and happier) once we get up to four candles, UPS becomes cheaper than USPS, and would cost around the same as sending 3. :man_shrugging: I could do something like, “Buy 3 or 4 and and only pay shipping for 2.”

Let me know your thoughts, but I could look into this if there’s interest!

• Sapphire

January 7, 2021 at 4:26 pm

The break down is greatly appreciated, even though you don’t need to justify it, shipping global sucks!

UK has done a great job isolating itself recently and I’m seeing lots of shops either refusing to ship or greatly increasing shipping costs to cover the new charges.

I’d certainly be interested in buying multiple to enable a more palatable combined shipping, even more so if it meant you didn’t have to cut into your profits to achieve it.

• CJB

Administrator
          January 7, 2021 at 4:30 pm

That’s very sweet of you, and I’m glad you brought this up because if I can make it work, I think this could be a really nice solution for a lot of people. This “Buy more and save” idea could work for everyone, it just involves some research on my part and … :grimacing: math. The jobs I never dreamed I’d be learning to do as an indie author now include International shipping logistics. :laughing:

We need a Community Fellowship just for offsetting shipping internationally. :cjheart:

• Lexington

January 8, 2021 at 2:23 am

Well, now that you’re doing candles in series … have you considered subscriptions? I pretty much know I’m going to get the seasonal candles when they come out, so I’d gladly pay up front (which may defray some shipping in the interim).

• LoliOwar

May 27, 2021 at 8:08 pm

When you say things like this to Mounties with candle problems, it is just unfair. I do not want to read where this convo went even though I have been happily reading about the shop and candlemaking for the past hour between doing small amounts of work.

Edited: I have to stop reading my goblin brain is screaming to buy all the shiny, smelly, magiqy things.

• heather-w-carroll

May 27, 2021 at 9:25 pm

OMG, @LoliOwar! The candles are all WONDERFUL!

Yep. You’re gonna need to get them… :wink:

• LoliOwar

May 27, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Off work now to read the rest of the thread and hide my cards.

• heather-w-carroll

May 27, 2021 at 11:01 pm

I’m an enabler. :smiling_imp:

• LoliOwar

May 27, 2021 at 11:04 pm

I see this but I need the next books first and I have a super special trip coming up that I must do all the savings for. If you arent careful ABN may come bop us both out of our candle musings.

• CJB

Administrator
    January 7, 2021 at 4:47 pm

Oh, also, one big roadblock has been that it’s hard to find good, reliable box/material suppliers outside of Uline right now. Uline is a massive shipping product provider here in the US with really good deals on boxes and shipping supplies, but I refuse to buy from them because their owners are also A-list Trump supporters and I always try to vote with my wallet (in addition to actual voting, of course.)

They have beautiful, black shipping boxes and I love the vibe, but not enough to support them. :cjsmile:

• Ginger

January 7, 2021 at 10:09 pm

If it helps you feel validated at all, when I handled logistics for the radio station I used to work at we had the same problem with ULine. The catalog had so many things that could’ve made things so much easier and cheaper and simpler. To us it was also more important that we didn’t support them, though, more important that we supported local wherever possible. Yes, things were a pain in the butt, but they worked out.

So as someone who has been in that position, I applaud you for also going the tougher route that I believe is more worth it.

As a consumer, I would also happily spend more money if it meant not supporting absolutely awful people.

I adore that you cater every part of AGP to follow your beliefs and values, even if it means more work and more math on your part. :cjheart:

• CJB

Administrator
    January 11, 2021 at 1:20 am

So, for international (non US and CA) Mounties, I’ve worked out some scaling flat rates for buying additional candles and would love your thoughts:

International Flat Rate Shipping for Candles:

1 Candle:

Flat Rate = $19

2 Candles:

Flat rate = $30

3 or 4 Candles:

Flat Rate = $40

Once we’re up in the 3-4 candle range, UPS becomes much more reasonable than USPS and I can afford to switch over, cut into the candle profit a little, but still come out on top because I’m selling 3-4 candles, and you’re saving almost $40 in shipping when compared to buying 4 candles individually!

I’ll also create scaling tables for US/CA if this seems like a good arrangement. Let me know!

• Sapphire

January 13, 2021 at 10:52 am

Would it be possible to do a pre-order of all 4 Wheel of the Year Candles for delivery once the last one has released?

• CJB

Administrator
        January 13, 2021 at 4:09 pm

Let me think about how to manage that and I’ll get back with you… :cjheart:

• CJB

Administrator
        January 18, 2021 at 7:08 pm

So, I think what I’ll do is sell a four-candle “Wheel of the Year” gift set in December, where you can buy all four candles at once before the new year starts and save a ton on shipping? With a gift set I could also maybe knock a little more off shipping…

• CJB

Administrator
    January 11, 2021 at 10:57 pm

New Product Announcement!

I can’t tell you just how excited I am for you all to see what just launched in the shop!

I’ve been working on these behind-the-scenes with our pin manufacturer since last fall, and I’m proud to say the official Ackerly Green Bookmark is now live in the shop for pre-order!

What started as a weird little idea I had, became a hacked together mockup I sent to my pin guy in October:

Which then became a project we spent two months perfecting, turning it into a real product design:

Which finally became an actual product that just arrived from the other side of the world!

Never lose your place in the story again.

“Whether you’re diving into the books of the Briarverse or whittling down your 2021 reading list, this beautiful, high-polish enamel bookmark, featuring the Ackerly Green logo and Herman the Hippocampus mascot, will keep your spot in style, and unlike paper bookmarks (and receipts and envelopes and post-its) this metal and enamel keepsake will last for years of reading.”

The Ackerly Green Enamel Bookmark is made of hard-enamel gold charms with purple/aqua accents connected by a 3-inch chain in a matching gold-tone finish.

We have a limited batch of 100 bookmarks, and they’re available pre-order now for $12.50! (And Briar Society members get an additional 15% off.)

I’ll start fulfilling them as soon as the Imbolc candles and Briar Society coins go out this week!

Aren’t they beautiful?!

• Catherine

January 12, 2021 at 3:11 pm

Just for the sake of keeping everything together, linking the Enamel Bookmark announcement post here!

And for easy ordering:

• CJB

Administrator
    January 15, 2021 at 8:11 pm

In today’s shop news, I have about 30 amber candle jars left, and they are out of stock absolutely everywhere, including my secret little company I was buying from for months, until the spring. So there may be an unexpected AG Alchemy redesign for the secret candles I have planned for spring. :sweat_smile:

Also, I mentioned that our usual candle boxes are also out of stock so I’m using the test stock we bought way back when we started selling the Magiq candles. And I just saw that although we bought them through a 3rd party, they’re Uline boxes. :roll_eyes:

I have these Uline boxes and some very environmentally-unfriendly poly mailers that I also want to phase out, but just throwing them away seems even worse… so know that I have conscientious products from progressively aligned companies as well, but I’m going to get through the other stuff I currently have first. :purple_heart:

• Sellalellen

January 15, 2021 at 8:25 pm

I think at this point it would be more wasteful to not use what you already have. You can always find something more ethical next time but if you have these items lying around anyway you might as well use them.

• BrokenVoid

January 15, 2021 at 8:27 pm

I agree with Sel, might as well use them since you already have them. There’s not much you can do if all the other options are MIA. I still appreciate that you make every effort possible to do the right thing.

• Augustus_Octavian

January 19, 2021 at 10:03 pm

I just got my Imbolc melts, and the scent is really just incredible! I know they’re limited run, but I will definitely be buying again when they come in stock.

It’s clean and fresh, with just a hint of smokiness. I don’t detect anything powdery or floral. Maybe a touch of incense.

• BrokenVoid

January 20, 2021 at 7:07 pm

My Imbolc candle just got delivered back at home, so I’ll get it this weekend.

• josephinekelly

January 20, 2021 at 9:53 pm

Slowly but steadily, AG Alchemy is taking over my desk…

• CJB

Administrator
      January 20, 2021 at 10:15 pm

My plan is almost complete…

• grace-nessen

January 20, 2021 at 11:38 pm

This feels like the adipose episode of doctor who except the candles will come to life and magically clean my room and do the dishes while I sleep

• CJB

Administrator
          January 21, 2021 at 1:08 am

I love that ep. Donna Noble is the best.

• CJB

Administrator
      January 21, 2021 at 2:59 am

@Augustus_Octavian I’m glad you got it so quickly and enjoy it so much! @Sorrel, seeing all those candles makes me SO happy and humbled at the same time, and @BrokenVoid, knowing you’re legit excited to get something like the bookmark from AGP is just incredible. I LOVE creating these things for all of you. :cjheart:

• BrokenVoid

January 21, 2021 at 2:03 am

I think the bookmark is the most excited I’ve been for an AGP delivery, second to my TBS welcome package last year. And the fact that the TBS coin is with it makes it even better.

• AugustAbel

January 21, 2021 at 4:11 am

The Imbloc smells amazing, it reminds me of walking through a Renaissance festival, that bite of cold in the air mixing with the smell of a good fire and hardy gentle smelling flowers. The bookmark is awesome and shiny so raccoon brain kicked in for a second when I saw it. I love the Briar coin, it’s super cool and has a nice weight to it.

• CJB

Administrator
      January 21, 2021 at 4:28 pm

OMG, I love it!

I feel like I’m getting better at developing these scents and I really love it when what I was hoping to convey comes through! Cold air, good fire, hardy flowers. It’s hard to convey cold or “winter” without using something evergreen like fir, but I found that birch has a sort of astringent, almost minty after smell that “feels” cool.

I have HUNDREDS of fragrance oil samplers and one of my favorite things is planning a new candle, pulling them all down off the shelf, and seeing what works for the candle I want to make.

I was thinking about doing a video about the candle making process sometime soon, and maybe I’ll do a video of developing a candle like Beltane which is coming up next (aside from some v. v. secret candles in the spring)!

• BrokenVoid

January 23, 2021 at 12:12 am

Got my Imbolc candle and bookmark today. The candle really does smell like the border between winter and spring, it’s honestly mind blowing. The bookmark is beautiful and I love the way it shines as it catches the light!

• CJB

Administrator
      January 23, 2021 at 3:34 am

I’m so glad you like them, and thanks for notes on Imbolc, I appreciate it!

• BrokenVoid

January 23, 2021 at 4:04 pm

Immediately put to use !

• CJB

Administrator
    January 25, 2021 at 10:52 pm

I have managed to (hopefully) secure a stock of jars from overseas that should be here in a couple of months, just before I run out, but in my research, I also found these:

And I’m kiiiiind of in love. They’re very apothecary/alchemy/regeant feeling. A little pricier than my current jars, but not crazy…

Does anyone have thoughts on slightly taller candles/cork lids?

Also? They come in black, which could be v. useful for future surprises. :cjtea:

EDIT: And they’re made of recycled glass!

• grace-nessen

January 25, 2021 at 11:36 pm

I like that they’re recycled! And I can definitely imagine some really good alchemy vibes for… AG Alchemy.

• Lexington

January 26, 2021 at 2:58 am

Whatever you do, don’t read my mind and see that I’m thinking about bath salts …

• CJB

Administrator
      January 26, 2021 at 3:15 am

:cjtea:

• BrokenVoid

January 27, 2021 at 5:05 am

I think a pin of the hippocampus on the keychain would be beautiful! I love the turquoise with the shimmer of the gold around it! Every time I see it hanging from my book I just get hypnotized for a few seconds.

• EternalHearts

January 27, 2021 at 1:50 pm

So, is anyone waiting for a Cole candle? I hadn’t been, but the idea popped into my mind when I just saw the Instagram post for Marty and Deirdre.

• CJB

Administrator
        January 27, 2021 at 2:11 pm

I bet Cole smells good.

I’m thinking I’ll ask Mounties to submit nominations/suggestions for the next series of Chapter candles.

But the next round might not be characters. :cjtea:

• BrokenVoid

January 27, 2021 at 3:50 pm

Guild candles???

• EternalHearts

January 27, 2021 at 5:04 pm

Hot damn, an Ebbie candle would be nice. Ocean (duh) and stone (they have a smell, but I have no idea how to create it), with a hint of fir (the Oreiads were the nymphs of mountain conifers).

You’re welcome @CJB :smiley:

• BrokenVoid

January 31, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Finally got my TBS coin and oh my WORD I love it! The dark black of the briars makes the really pop out, and the weight is perfect.

• CJB

Administrator
      February 1, 2021 at 3:55 pm

I’m glad it made it to you safe and sound! I keep mine by my key board because the size and weight make it fun to fidget with.

• BrokenVoid

February 1, 2021 at 6:03 pm

I do too, I keep it right in front of my keyboard so I can stare at it and fidget with it while I’m waiting for something.

• Sapphire

February 1, 2021 at 5:46 pm

Out of curiosity have all the coins been posted?

• CJB

Administrator
      February 1, 2021 at 6:08 pm

They have! If you have an annual membership you just have to go through the checkout process to get it. You should see the Relic is free for you if you’re signed in at the shop!

• Sapphire

February 1, 2021 at 6:10 pm

Awesome, I really should have checked that sooner!

• BrokenVoid

February 1, 2021 at 6:11 pm

I know I’ve said this before, but I’m so excited to slowly build a collection of TBS relics.

• CJB

Administrator
      February 1, 2021 at 7:44 pm

:spiritseergimme:

• BrokenVoid

February 2, 2021 at 2:51 am

Have you had any troublesome candles that just don’t want to stay lit? My Imbolc candle only seems to stay lit for a few minutes before it burns itself out. I can’t tell if maybe the wick length isn’t right or it got some wax splashed on it.

• AugustAbel

February 2, 2021 at 3:12 am

Oh I had the same problem, so I used my torch lighter and just torched it for a minute or two and then it stayed lit after that.

• CJB

Administrator
          February 2, 2021 at 3:40 am

Be sure to let the wax melt across the entire top of the candle when burning it, especially the first time, otherwise tunneling can happen, which “drowns” the wick. Heating the entire top of the candle will fix it.

• BrokenVoid

February 2, 2021 at 3:42 am

Maybe I accidentally splashed some wax onto the wick when I moved it. I’ll try excavating some more of the wick once the wax hardens and maybe I can let it breathe more. I appreciate the help!

• josephinekelly

February 2, 2021 at 7:07 am

I’ve had this with a few of them on the first burn, where I’ve had to relight a few times. But after that, they’ve all burned great.

• BrokenVoid

February 2, 2021 at 2:53 pm
  • CJB

Administrator
    February 2, 2021 at 4:35 pm

You know, this was bugging me, the wick thing, so I did a little (a lot of) research last night.

The wick I’m currently using is made for soy/natural blends, but the flame it holds is described as “low and flat, tear-shaped” whereas a couple of other wick options have a taller flame, and I wonder if that might be the source of the issue a couple of you have had getting your candles to stay lit? With the amount of fragrance oil I use and the softness of the soy/coconut wax, I wonder if the little low flame gets drowned if I clip the wick too short?

So, I’m going to test it out! I ordered a new batch of wicks last night with taller flames and they should be here in a week or so (I prefer taller flames myself, but I initially bought these wicks from a fellow business owner who’d overbought supplies for their own candle hustle.)

If anyone runs into issues keeping the wick lit in your AG Alchemy candle let me know and I’ll send you a replacement wick, free of charge. It’s not too hard to replace the wick, you just need tweezers, pliers, or even strong fingernails to pull the old one out of the little metal clip at the bottom of the candle jar, and stick the new one in.

• BrokenVoid

February 2, 2021 at 4:45 pm

I did get mine to work. I just had to scoop out some wax to expose a bigger portion of the wick and now it seems to be staying lit, so you might be right about that. Maybe the small flame needs more room to breathe than a taller one.

• BrokenVoid

February 28, 2021 at 2:57 pm

Ordered a Martin candle, I’m very interested to try it out. I usually tend to like the nature-oriented ones like Imbolc and Alistair and Ben, but I think I’ll branch out and try something a bit different this time. It sounds like the people who have gotten it already have really liked it, so I’m optimistic.

• heather-w-carroll

February 28, 2021 at 6:36 pm

I’m slowly growing my collection of Ackerly Green objets d’art.

• CJB

Administrator
      February 28, 2021 at 6:36 pm

Ahhhhhhhh :cjheart:

• EternalHearts

February 28, 2021 at 10:15 pm

I’m so torn about my Hermie sticker – laptop or RocketBook?!

• heather-w-carroll

March 1, 2021 at 6:59 pm

I’m going to put Hermie on my moleskine that I’m keeping TBS notes in, but I also appreciate a good laptop sticker!

Yesterday I ordered four of the AG candles to place around the house because I was worried about their continued availability. (I got all except for Deirdre because I’m sometimes suspicious of florals and I was concerned that it would be hard to find packaging for five candles. It was a tough decision, though, because I love all of the Deirdre base notes–cedar, amber, and musk. I may need to order it later…)

• CJB

Administrator
          March 1, 2021 at 7:03 pm

I saw your order, and I’m shipping it out today! Thank you so much!

Florals aren’t usually my thing either. I prefer greener less blossomy notes when it comes to botanical candles, but I wanted to offer options for everyone. Deirdre is very rose/floral forward when cold in the jar, but gets a lot more nuanced when lit.

I’m going to start turning the extra wax I always have into little testers and will throw some into orders in the future!

• BrokenVoid

March 4, 2021 at 1:58 am

Just got my Martin candle and I really like it. It really does remind my of an old bookstore which is awesome.

• heather-w-carroll

March 4, 2021 at 8:56 pm

Candles are here! Candles are here!

Conversation with Spouse, a candleholic

insert much sniffing of candles here

H: Author-designed and crafted! He really did a great job, didn’t he?

S: Oh wow! Very impressed!

• CJB

Administrator
      March 4, 2021 at 8:59 pm

:cjheart: oh wow, that makes me SO happy! Thank you so much for sharing your pics, your thoughts, and your unboxing!

Also, hi kitty!

• josephinekelly

March 4, 2021 at 9:25 pm

Pro-tip: Imbolc + open windows on an early spring day = your home will smell like a meadowland adventure. Something about the cool air just really lifts it!

• CJB

Administrator
    April 5, 2021 at 4:03 pm

Don’t freak out or anything, but both The Briar Society: Chapter One adaptation AND the

Neithernor RPG Alpha Handbook are out today!

If you’re into RPGs, or you’re interested in finding out what happened in last year’s Briar Society narrative and how it all connected to The Book of Briars release on the forum (even members who experienced it might find something new), go check them out. :cjheart:

The Briar Society: Chapter One is also the first book we’ve done that includes photos and images for the puzzles, including the work that members created to solve them!

Finally, just look at these covers:

• Augustus_Octavian

April 5, 2021 at 5:15 pm

Those covers :heart_eyes:

• Alligatoramberlee

April 5, 2021 at 8:05 pm

That “N” especially is just…heavy. Like, you could pick up the N and throw it at someone.

• CJB

Administrator
          April 5, 2021 at 9:36 pm

I want a 3D printer just to make one to throw.

• CJB

Administrator
    April 6, 2021 at 4:05 pm

Wheel of the Year candle news!

This is the last week to grab your Imbolc candles or melts before they’re retired to make way for Beltane next Monday!

Beltane goes on sale Monday morning (2021-04-12T15:00:00Z) and the first shipment will go out priority on Friday the 16th (2021-04-17T00:00:00Z) to ensure it makes it to you in time for May 1st!

Here’s a sneak peek of Beltane’s scent profile?

Top: Green Floral, Green Leaves, Ozone

Middle: Fig, Jasmine

Base: Light Musk, Wood, Moss

:candle: :cjheart: :candle:

Also, if you didn’t know, I’ve lowered candle shipping rates, making them a flat rate by country, and also the cost goes down the more candles you pick up in one purchase.

• Nimueh

April 6, 2021 at 4:39 pm

I just used up the last of my scented candles so… :eyes:

• CJB

Administrator
      April 6, 2021 at 4:55 pm

It’s almost like… I knew. :cjtea:

• BrokenVoid

April 9, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Just put the new wick in my Martin candle and it’s now burning fabulously, thank you so much!

• CJB

Administrator
    April 12, 2021 at 4:44 pm

Hey all! The second Wheel of the Year candle is now live in the shop and the first batch will be going out this week! I also have a handful of Imbolc candles left if you want to save on shipping by buying more than one candle!

Beltane is the perfect mix of spring and summer. When you take the lid, the scent is immediately fresh, green, and sweetened with juicy, figgy notes. When lit, it also gives off a warming, earthy undertone that smells like sun-warmed earth. I’ve been burning it in my office all week and everyone in my house loves it!

Theme: Summer Born in Spring

Head: Geranium, Spring Leaves, Ozone

Heart: Fig, Jasmine, Saffron

Soil: Light Musk, Wood, Moss

“Spring gives way to summer spirits, bonfire, bloom, and birth.

Painted petals, ripened fruit, the glory of the earth.”

• Tinker

April 12, 2021 at 6:47 pm

Oh I had totally meant last week to ask if there’d be an overlap where both were available and then it slipped my mind :joy: that’s perfect!

• BrokenVoid

April 15, 2021 at 4:08 pm

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but is there a planned date when BoB physical copies are expected to be sent out? No rush, I’m just curious.

• CJB

Administrator
    April 15, 2021 at 4:11 pm

I’m just waiting on the final proof copy to be printed and sent to me from my printer so I can check it myself before I fulfill all the orders.

• CJB

Administrator
    April 16, 2021 at 6:56 pm

Three big shop updates for Friday!

Candles:

I got the labels back from the local printer just in time, and the first batch of Beltane candles are going out today to ensure they arrive in time for the summer festivities!

The Book of Briars:

The hardcovers of The Book of Briars have been a fun challenge. I format the manuscripts and covers myself, and this is the first time working with hardcovers, case laminate books, AND dust jackets! The final proof has been accepted, and I should have a proof copy in my hands in the next 7-10 days!

You may not know this, but I designed the original Book of Briars site cover myself using about a thousand different elements, including cloth textures, borders, grit brushes, grunge, and even editing photos of antique doors to make the locks (I vaguely remember making my own screw heads in photoshop to match the lock bevels :roll_eyes:)

I wanted to recreate that original design for the case laminate cover under the dust jacket and basically had to rebuild it from scratch (the original cover was pretty low-res and the dimensions WAY wider than the finished book, so I couldn’t just re-use it) and make sure it worked with the back, spine, and sides of a real-life three-dimensional cover. It took blood, sweat, and tears, but here’s the final unwrapped image!

I left just enough dirt from its journey from 1998 to your bookshelf!

The Book of Briars again!

For those of you asking about paperback versions of The Book of Briars…

Here you go! The proof for the paperback cover came back looking great, and it’s officially ready for order and shipping!

It will also be available on Amazon in a week or so, but when you buy physical books from the Ackerly Green, you get a digitally signed copy with a personalized message from someone cool (kidding, it’s from me.)

:cjheart:

• Tinker

April 20, 2021 at 4:34 am

Candles arrived today! I didn’t light either yet, but they smelled amazing in the jar!!

• AugustAbel

April 20, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Got mine too, they all smell great although my Martin one doesn’t have a label on it so that’s interesting. I’m off to light my Magic one right now as it smells the best.

• CJB

Administrator
      April 20, 2021 at 2:49 pm

What?! Is the label in the box? The labels are always on days or weeks before they ship, so that’s really strange! I’m happy to send another label!

• AugustAbel

April 20, 2021 at 4:24 pm

I was pretty surprised too, then I thought it was pretty funny that the other candles had labels and there were stickers in the box but that one wasn’t labeled. No label in the box either, that would be appreciated, thanks.

• CJB

Administrator
      April 20, 2021 at 4:36 pm

You know, I did get a little heat-gun-happy when I was polishing the tops of some of the candles. I wonder if I melted it clean off. I’m so sorry. I’ve already put the replacement label in the mail with a couple of surprises for your trouble. :cjheart:

• AugustAbel

April 20, 2021 at 4:40 pm

Lol you’re good, thanks.

• heather-w-carroll

April 21, 2021 at 8:50 pm

First lighting of my new candles. For any floral-averse readers: I love both of these. They are wonderful, complex fragrances, and the floral notes are balanced, not overwhelming. :purple_heart:

EDITED TO ADD: OMG! The lit candle scent is absolutely perfect for Deirdre!

• CJB

Administrator
      April 21, 2021 at 9:02 pm

I’m normally not a floral candle fan but I’ve been rotating these two in the office for the past month. I’ve noticed with more complex floral/green scents, they really shine when lit, their richer notes getting a chance to shine. I probably wouldn’t have given these a chance if I’d smelled them unlit in a shop, but I’m kind of in love now.

• heather-w-carroll

April 21, 2021 at 9:14 pm

I have to get ALL of the candles that come out because I take an inordinate amount of joy out of lighting the candle for the correct narrator when I’m reading.

• Tinker

April 22, 2021 at 3:11 am

I was definitely debating lighting one today but I had been leaning towards the Beltane one and it’s not Beltane yet so it didn’t feel right :joy:

• AugustAbel

April 22, 2021 at 11:01 pm

All fixed up and burning away, thanks for sending the label and goodies.

• Sellalellen

April 24, 2021 at 2:00 am

I’m so excited to see the old green BoB cover on my shelf :sob:

• Nimueh

April 27, 2021 at 6:43 pm

Today is a good day! My candles arrived this afternoon!!! Currently burning Deirdre, though I have had to put it inside my old Magiq container as it seems the bottom of the jar was broken in transit.

• CJB

Administrator
      April 27, 2021 at 6:47 pm

Oh no! So sorry about that. Wow, its journey must have been a particularly rugged one to break with all that packing material. Let me know if you run into any issues with it burning post breakage, if you want a replacement, or if you’d just like a Deirdre label to cover the Magiq label!

• Nimueh

April 27, 2021 at 11:13 pm

It’s all good! It’s burning well and fits perfectly in the old jar! Tbh, the extra jar is only really to stop melted wax from going everywhere. On closer inspection of the box, I can clearly see that one corner seems to have taken a decent hit, so that’s probably the source.

On the plus, really loving how sweet and fruity Deirdre is!

• CJB

Administrator
    May 18, 2021 at 7:32 pm

Even though I’m part of the LGBTQ+ community, I’ve never done queer-specific/queer-pride merchandise for Pride month, or in general, simply because I didn’t want it to feel like I was trying to hop on the capitalist bandwagon that roles in every June.

I saw a funny video online last night about queer people being targeted in the month of June by companies that don’t normally seem all that interested in us and it made me laugh, but also got me thinking… I DO care about queer culture and the LGBTQ+ fam, I’ve made a promise to myself to be more public and open about my progressive, liberal stances, and Ackerly Green is not only queer-owned but adamantly inclusive of marginalized groups in both community and narrative.

Which got me asking… Why DON’T I have queer-related merchandise?!

And why don’t I use that merch to donate to causes like Outright International to help advocate for and protect queer people around the world?

So, anyway, I cranked out some designs last night (see below) and I’m really happy with them.

Here are a couple of bold “Filled” guild badges with the Gay Men’s flag and the Trans flag:

And simpler “Outlined” examples with a Balimora Lesbian flag and a Flinterforge Straight Ally flag:

Pride Shirts

Instead of creating an option for every pride flag (there’s a lot of them), I’m going to put a 2021 Pride Shirt and Tank Top up in the shop this week with design examples and if you want one, just pick your guild, size, shirt color, and then let me know which pride flag you’d like by leaving a note in the comment field during checkout.

I’ll hand-design it for you, send the design for you to sign off on, and get it to you in time for June!

Now when I say #guildpride in June, I really mean it. :cjheart:

• cjheighton1998

May 19, 2021 at 5:32 am

awwwww man, here i go using the community fellowship

• Ginger

May 20, 2021 at 7:13 pm

Ugh you’ve no idea how refreshing it is to hear other people acknowledge that seeing Pride merch suddenly everywhere in the month of June is usually just a way to make money off a group that wouldn’t normally be consumers at most of those businesses.

It’s also vastly different in my books when it’s queer creators making Pride merch, because it’s members of the community celebrating that community.

So like yes big business in the WORST usually, and I very much dislike buying Pride merch that way.

But also shut up and take all of my money.

I can’t believe you made custom designs off the guild badges!! That’s amazing!! That you also made one for allies is chef’s kiss we love to see it :eaveshug: I’m so excited :cjheart:

• Ashburn

May 28, 2021 at 1:58 pm

I saw ads on Facebook for the shirts!

…but they redirect to the 404 page when I try to view the listing in the proper AG non-Facebook shop. :confused:

• CJB

Administrator
        May 28, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Yeah, Facebook takes it upon itself to create ads for new products, even if they’re private and I haven’t launched them yet. :roll_eyes: But they’re going live today! Had to work out some kinks with the customization!

• Skylad

May 28, 2021 at 2:29 pm

:cjtea: :deirdreexcited:

• Ginger

May 20, 2021 at 7:13 pm

Also:

It’s me.

• audra-polk

May 21, 2021 at 8:24 pm

Can I double like something? Hahahahaha

• Sellalellen

May 22, 2021 at 6:29 pm

I’m literally in the middle of downsizing my wardrobe why do you do this to me :sob:

Also would you consider some designs with a fade between the colours? Both for aesthetic reasons and becasue its subtler for those of us who aren’t out to everyone in real life yet.

• CJB

Administrator
      May 22, 2021 at 6:30 pm

I’m making each one custom so absolutely!

• CJB

Administrator
    May 27, 2021 at 5:18 pm

In case you didn’t know, the brand new guild pins are finally in the shop, they’re under $10, and they fall under the same flat rate shipping I have for all pins and buttons.

ALSO, I still have a few of the original pins, which haven’t been in the shop for a couple years. If I still have the old guild-specific pin in stock, I’ll pop one in with the new one!

Also, did I mention that I love the PNW? I can take these pins and my camera out to my front yard and get these shots.

IMG_1189 IMG_1193 IMG_1196 IMG_1213 IMG_1214 IMG_1227

Aren’t they beauties?! I’m so proud of them.

• Augustus_Octavian

May 27, 2021 at 7:13 pm

I’m really excited to get mine! I love the double-backing, as pins and buttons tend to go missing from my backpack otherwise :grimacing:

• CJB

Administrator
    May 28, 2021 at 9:16 pm

Okay, it’s ready!

https://ackerlygreen.com/product/guild-pride-2021-shirt/

Because there are so many possible options, I will be manually designing and submitting each shirt individually. :sweat_smile:

To make sure I can process them all in time, so they arrive sometime in June, I am going to make this product available from right now through 2021-06-04T07:00:00Z

I will try my hardest to have this permanently in the shop someday, but my friends, there are A LOT of LGBTQ+ flags, and right now, it’s easier to make custom orders than to design a shirt for each flag.

Make sure to let me know which flag you’d like in the order notes on checkout, and I’ll send you the design for your approval!

• Fellowship

May 29, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Hello!

@CJB and the Ackerly Green Community Fellowship are proud to announce our first Fellowship Reserve items: Guild Badge Pins!

We’re reserving 12 pins for those who ask for them, funded by generous donations from the AG community. If you’d like one, PM this account (@Fellowship) and I’ll reply with a coupon code which can be used to purchase a guild pin in the shop.

Reminder:

• Community members Trust Level 2 or higher can request two items per year, and items are on a first-come-first-serve basis.

• When using a Fellowship coupon code, please only have one item in your cart. Any other items you might be purchasing need to be in a separate order so we can keep track of Fellowship reserve item orders.

I’m very proud of the caring and kindness in our community. Thank each of you for making this such a special corner of the world!

• AugustAbel

June 17, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Dude, these are so awesome, I got them a couple days ago and I am so in love with them. Thanks so much for making them so cool @CJB.

• heather-w-carroll

June 20, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Flinterforge Spouse loves his shirt! (I can’t put mine on until my post-op appointment in a couple weeks, though.)

Ooh! I can do this, though! Welcome to my closet.

• audra-polk

June 20, 2021 at 7:56 pm

That’s a good closet!

• heather-w-carroll

June 21, 2021 at 9:00 pm

It’s completely Flinterforged by the spouse! Go to my journal to see the secret entrance to my witchcraft room!

• CJB

Administrator
    July 15, 2021 at 3:00 pm

So…update on the Lughnasa candle:

I was really, really happy with the scent I came up with, all herbs and hay and cedarwood, so over the past two weeks I made a few trial candles to get the ratio of fragrance to wax just right…

But for some reason, no matter what I try, the candle has minimal cold throw (how strong it is when unlit) and virtually no hot throw. I’ve tried nearly doubling the fragrance %, driving across town to a new wax supplier because I thought the wax might be the issue, and even using some natural additives (which I’ve never used before), which are meant to help with scent throw.

It’s just too faint.

Which means… I’m going to have to reformulate the scent completely—this weekend.

I know a few of you are looking forward to this candle (thank you, AG Alchemy fans!), and I’m sorry for the delay. I should’ve tested the scent sooner, but the past couple of months have been devoted to TBS, the new novel, and wrapping up our kids’ first school year in Portland. I just didn’t have any extra time.

I have hundreds of scent bases to build with, so I know I’ll come up with an alternative this weekend that’s just as good, if not better, but I’m just bummed I couldn’t make this one work.

• CJB

Administrator
      July 19, 2021 at 2:42 pm

I worked on the Lughnasa candle over the weekend and I think I’ve got it figured out. The new candles I poured are still definitely less intense than Imbolc or Beltane, but I always intended them to be an airy, lighter scent. By fiddling with the scent blend a little and adding more coconut cream to the soy wax blend I was able to boost the power quite a bit, and what I’m seeing now is that as they continue to cure they get stronger.

So, they are officially in the shop!

“Season’s peak, the first cool night, summer ending soon.
      A field of friends out reveling beneath a harvest moon.”

Head: Fresh Mewn Grass, Flowering Thyme

Heart: Harvest Hay, Balsam

Soul: Toasted Cedarwood, Vetiver

• CJB

Administrator
        July 22, 2021 at 7:35 pm

I’m happy to follow up that as the Lughnasa candle cures, the scent gets much more pronounced! The batch I’m sending out tomorrow was pouring on Monday so if you’re able to give them a few days before you light them, they’ll perform beautifully! :cjheart: :candle:

• CJB

Administrator
    August 26, 2021 at 4:34 pm

Two Big Shop Announcements Today!

First, omg, I’m so excited…

Neithernor Fate Dice

The Briarverse has official dice, and they’re now available for purchase!

Dice-Purple-Full_5

They come six to a set, and you can choose from an “all-guild” set or a premium set where all six dice rep one guild!

• The dice are made of silky-smooth translucent acrylic in Ackerly Green’s signature “magimystic purple” with contrasting white debossing.
    • The 1-5 sides of each die have both numerical symbols and “+” and “-” symbols to work seamlessly with the Neithernor RPG and other Fate-based games, as well as any game requiring standard dice.
    • The sixth side of each die is emblazoned with one of the six Briarverse guild symbols: Weatherwatch’s torch and telescope, Gossmere’s lotus, the Flinterforge furnace, Ebenguard’s bow and arrow, Thornmouth’s lantern, and Balimora’s entwined trees.
    • Each set comes prepacked in a black velveteen bag to ensure they arrive ready to roll and in pristine condition.

Neithernor: RPG

Second, the Beta version of the Neithernor RPG guidebook is officially live!

We made big changes to clarify and expand on character creation and game mechanics (see the full changelog here) and basically rewrote the example game within the guidebook from scratch!

If you already pre-ordered the Hardcover, Paperback, or Complete Digital version of the book, you can download the Beta for free!

• Sellalellen

September 5, 2021 at 3:55 am

Agh they look so cool!

• Tinker

November 4, 2021 at 10:52 pm

I had an AG Alchemy question that I thought might be useful to others:

What’s the cold throw of the full-scent wax melts like? I’m not supposed to have candles or wax warmers in my apartment, so I was thinking of just…using a wax melt at room temperature as a room fragrance thing, and I was wondering if that might work?

• EternalHearts

November 5, 2021 at 12:53 pm

While I can’t answer the question directly, is the wax warmer rule about flames or the hot liquid wax, because there are options for electric warmers.

• Tinker

November 5, 2021 at 7:06 pm

So…the lease is a bit weird and contradictory…like, candles are prohibited but then there’s another clause that says if you light candles you’ll be charged on move-out for any soot that has to be removed from the walls? so like, it’s prohibited but they expect people to do it anyway??? So a tea light wax melter is definitely out. There’s another section that prohibits “strong smells” in general (and that’s about as specific as that clause gets)…so I was hesitant to do an electric one as well, but figured a room temperature thing would be not so strong it could be smelled from the hall but maybe strong enough to still work in my (small) apartment?

(is it possible I’m over-thinking this? yea. but I’ve had a number of weird maintenance things so I don’t want to risk bending rules when maintenance has been having to come so often)

• CJB

Administrator
          November 5, 2021 at 8:42 pm

Hi Tink! So the melts, when melted, can usually be smelled about 1-1.5 rooms away. They’re not overpowering (Magiq is the strongest in both candle and melt form) and when each cube is remelted becomes fainter and fainter, until it doesn’t give off scent after 3-5 uses. They’re fairly scented even without being melted, but I’d say they’d be about .5 a room’s worth of scent “cold.” I think you’d be fine with an electric warmer, but if you’re concerned, then having them at room temp or even so where sunny would be a great alternative. Usually in leases, in my experience, when they prohibit “strong smells” it’s usually about cooking. :cjheart:

• Tinker

November 5, 2021 at 11:05 pm

Thank you!!

• Ashburn

November 5, 2021 at 2:10 pm

I don’t know about the melts, but I catch a whiff of my lidless Magiq candle from the other side of my bedroom when it gets a bit warmish.

• Lexington

November 7, 2021 at 10:16 pm

I hate to ask, given how busy everyone’s been—did I miss the Samhain candle? I’ve really enjoyed the others and just looked up and realized Samhain had flown past.

• CJB

Administrator
      November 7, 2021 at 10:21 pm

I tried to get ahead of demand for Lughnasa and made a TON of those candles, but only sold 4-5. I was so overwhelmed with work and writing anyway, and just assumed the interest had waned.

Basically, I need to get better at letting everyone know about new releases. Until then, I’m either going to do pre-orders to gauge interest or maybe go back to slower-delivered made-to-order. :cjheart:

• BrokenVoid

November 9, 2021 at 1:28 pm

I am planning on getting a Lughnasa candle, I just don’t have the extra money quite yet.

• Tinker

November 9, 2021 at 11:35 pm

I definitely forgot that wax melts were a thing until last week and thought I’d have to miss out on the AG Alchemy stuff because of my apartment’s candle policy…so as long as wax melts are still a viable part of your plan :eyes:

• Cynical

November 11, 2021 at 3:55 am

I feel like I should chime in to mention that you can actually get wax warmers that fit candles, and can turn your entire candle into a massive wax melt, for people who cannot do flames in their homes for whatever reason! I have one and it’s great for when I’m worried my adhd-brain will lead me to forget that I have an open flame just sitting there and just, like, leave the house without putting it out first, or something.

• BrokenVoid

November 15, 2021 at 3:46 am

Yeah my fiancee mentioned those to me the other day because I have a bunch of candles that have burned through the wick but still have a little layer of wax at the bottom, so a candle warmer is useful in that situation too.