Activity Forums The Hall of Hobbies Gaming Garrison Currently Playing Super Topic

Tagged: 

• Currently Playing Super Topic

Posted by Remus on June 15, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Hey there, Mounties!

I wanted to make a thread where folks can discuss what games we are currently playing, as well as our thoughts and observations (à la The Currently Reading Super Topic in the Bookish category). I know we sometimes do this in our Gaming Mounties thread, but I wanted to make a dedicated thread for us to discuss the games we’re currently playing rather than just general gaming news and thoughts (which I feel that thread works really well for).

Feel free to include quotes or images that really stick out to you about the game your currently playing and your experience! If you post any spoiler-y things, though, be sure to use spoiler brackets to hide them!

Nimueh replied 1 year, 1 month ago 10 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Remus

June 15, 2021 at 11:37 pm

I can start: recently, I’ve been getting back into The Elder Scrolls games, specific Skyrim and Oblivion since those are the ones I own. My spouse and I got on the Skyrim bandwagon pretty late (we bought it for Switch in 2018 and then didn’t really play it until 2019) and we’ve played it in spurts over the past couple of years (including a spurt that’s happening right now). That’s why my spouse also bought Oblivion for us for Valentine’s Day in 2020.

So far, I’m the only one who’s played Oblivion, and while the animation is rougher than Skyrim’s, I’m really enjoying some of the differences. While the leveling system is kind of intensive, I like having a clear archetype I’m working toward that works well. For those who are interested, I’m a Breton Spellsword born under the sign of the Lady! I’ll keep folks updated as anything else comes up!

• Augustus_Octavian

June 16, 2021 at 10:19 am

A man after my own heart. I deeply love the Elder Scrolls games, as you’re about to find out (if you didn’t know already). My kids have discovered Minecraft, so I’m playing that a bunch with them (and sometimes at night after they go to bed – don’t tell them, they would be pissed).

I’ve also been playing Solasta: Crown of the Magister. It’s video game DnD, and it’s SO GOOD. I played up to the stop point in early access, but now that it’s fully released, I’m thinking up a new party to play through it with in full.

Other than that, I periodically fire up Morrowind and now is one of those times. My last character was a Telvanni Magelord (Dunmer Mage, sign of the Apprentice) complete with mushroom stronghold also going through the main quest. My new character is an Imperial Paladin (Knight, sign of the Ritual) who was disgraced from the Legion for a crime he didn’t commit, and it trying to work his way back through the ranks in this new, foreign land. He’ll ignore the main quest, but planning on him moving to Solstheim and playing through the Raven Rock questline once I finish in the Legion, and having him “retire” there as Factor of the colony. Overthink much, Augo?

Although, @Ginger’s Dragon Age talk makes me want to finally go back and finish Inquisition.

• CJB

Administrator
        June 16, 2021 at 3:22 pm

Same. Ginger is the coven tome of DA lore.

• meadhbh-hawtin

June 16, 2021 at 12:56 am

Oh man, I love Oblivion! I’ve got many fond memories of watching my brother be better at it than me ^.^

Right now I’m playing a lot of Valheim, with some breaks for Monster Hunter now and then. I’ve got quite a few unfinished games to go through (including Breath of the Wild, rip) but I want to pick up Spiritfarer soon.

• Ginger

June 16, 2021 at 3:23 pm

Less currently playing and more games I’m juggling and aren’t complete?

Breath of the Wild – absolutely beautiful honestly. Just a big boi so I play here and there.

For some reason I told myself I was going to play through the first two Witcher games before I was allowed to play 3, to realize that they were just as bad as everyone said for myself. Spoiler alert: they are. It’s rough. Decent story and like the world is interesting, not great game play. Why does the first game look so dated despite its release date? I have so many questions. May abandon, who knows.

I was stoked to finally play through Morrowind (and all the Elder Scrolls although I have played Skyrim many moons ago) but wow it’s a massive game that will take a good long while. So it has also become an every now and then game for me.

I guess I should add replays of Dragon Age to this list, because I always got a new save on the go.

I have one in Origins and in II that I intend to complete, currently.

I told myself I was going to play one game at a time and finish each one before starting the next. Wow, what a joke that was.

• djsolare

June 16, 2021 at 3:26 pm

Wild Hunt is vastly superior than the other two but Witcher 2 is still pretty fun.

Witcher 1… well, I highly suggest you find a Let’s Play and/or get a save file that covers all the major choices you want.

• Ginger

June 16, 2021 at 3:36 pm

Haha the original advice I got was:

Ignore 1 it doesn’t exist to you any longer.

2 is fun if you want to play it, if you don’t at least know what happens.

Yeah, that’s the only reason I didn’t jump ship yet on 1, is because I wanted to go through the major choices, but I was silly and forgot all about playthroughs. Good call.

You’re correct though, 2 is fun. Especially coming from 1 :sweat_smile:

• Ginger

June 16, 2021 at 3:32 pm

@Augustus_Octavian do it so I have someone to nerd to :pleading_face:

The storyline , especially near the end is wild. Plus the dlcs I was not expecting them to go the way they did at all.

But I do understand, Inquisition can get so tedious with all the side quests that don’t seem to have much pay off. That’s one of my biggest woes of the game. I’m the Inquisitor why don’t I have people to go pick elfroot or wrangle this druffalo back to some farm? So I get you. Sometimes you need a break. Looking at you Hinterlands

@CJB hahaha thank you

Funny you should say that because last night when insomnia hit I made an itemized list of all the expanded media in chronological order and if I was able to acquire or experience it or not, and whether I had. I’m running out of new content to explore. :sweat_smile:

My friend who originally recommended Dragon Age to me feels some type of way because they can no longer keep up with my lore discussions and theories. Or understand why I’m so invested in the history of chess in Thedas.

• CJB

Administrator
      June 16, 2021 at 3:38 pm

I do this too, but with the Briarverse.

I guess I’m my biggest fan? :grimacing:

• Ginger

June 16, 2021 at 4:15 pm

If YOU can’t enjoy the world you created, then what’s the point?

I support you.

You don’t happen to have a list kicking around maybe titled something like oh I don’t know ‘All the Important Things the Mountaineers Overlooked’ that you’d be willing to share? :grin:

• CJB

Administrator
          June 16, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Leave that to Spiritseer in TBS. :wink:

• djsolare

June 16, 2021 at 4:19 pm

That’s the title of the seventeenth book. We get it when we unlock all of the BoBs and beat up all the Silvers and take their lunch money.

• audra-polk

June 16, 2021 at 9:04 pm

I am a big fan of resource management, simulation games and tower defense. So I have not played basically any of the games already mentioned, but boy do I love video games!

I am currently going back and forth between a few games; Creeper World 3 (tower defense kind of, best game ever), Oxygen Not Included, Cities: Skylines, and Surviving Mars. I have so much fun starting from the beginning that I’ve spent…… a lot of hours playing these games, and have never gotten past the “easy/medium” parts of them. But I don’t judge myself, we play video games to have fun! Sometimes things are made to get really complicated after a certain point, and I just am not always wanting to put in the effort and learn tiny intricacies.

• Cynical

June 16, 2021 at 9:27 pm

Resource management is my jam. Oxygen Not Included is an amazing and wonderful title that I can spend literal days obsessing over, designing ways for a base to become more and more efficient as I go on. And yes I also really enjoy the initial building process and starting from the beginning and often never actually finish a run before I quit and start all over again, so I totally get you!

In terms of what I’ve been playing, I mean, at the moment I’ve sorta put all my games on hold so I can catch up with a certain specific book series since I’m still new and all…

But in general, I’ve been playing Griftlands! A roguelike deckbuilder by Klei Entertainment. It recently came out of Early Access and I’ve been really enjoying the full release. I’m not usually that into either roguelikes or deckbuilders, but I’m a big fan of other Klei titles, so I was willing to check it out, and I got completely hooked!

• audra-polk

June 17, 2021 at 12:08 am

I have also really enjoyed playing some of Klei’s games, Don’t Starve specifically. With a review like that, maybe I’ll check it out!

• djsolare

June 26, 2021 at 12:45 am

I got all the Myst games at a considerable discount yesterday so I started that today. I have to say, compared to certain puzzles I’ve had the pleasure of working with lately, Myst is practically trivial

• Remus

June 29, 2021 at 7:53 pm

Since my spouse and I only have one copy of Skyrim, I shifted to another Switch game that I can play in handheld mode: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity! I’ve been really excited about this game because I loved the idea of integrating the world of BoTW into a Warriors game, but I haven’t gotten to play it too much since we got it last holiday season because my spouse wants to focus on finally beating the original Hyrule Warriors first. That’s a pretty tall order (especially because we lost all of our previous progress in our jump from Wii U to Switch), and since we’ve already beaten the campaign, I decided to go ahead and play the new game. I’m really enjoying it – in many ways now than the original – and I can’t wait to see where the story goes!

Another game I just started (again) is Sky: Children of Light which launched today on the Switch (it was previously only on mobile. I know a couple of other Mounties used to play, so maybe we can all hop on and play together again!

• djsolare

December 9, 2021 at 5:43 pm

I recently picked Watch Dogs: Legion back up after I put it down for Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla a long time ago and forgot about it. Been kind of struggling in life in general lately and a good immersive game always helps with that, but I’ve been thinking about MMOs recently too.

Is there anyone here who plays one regularly and/or has a really good active guild that would accept noobs? My new job is pretty solitary so some new social activity would be good for me. Bonus points if I can play on my janky work laptop (I ran the FFXIV benchmark tool and it basically just told me no)

• BrokenVoid

December 10, 2021 at 3:14 pm

I know a lot of people here play Lord of the Rings Online, so much so that there’s actually a separate LOTRO topic. I’ve never gotten into MMOs much because I don’t play video games nearly as often as most of my friends do, so they tended to progress too fast for me.

• Nimueh

December 10, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Hm… Not sure about MMOs, but a group of gaming friends and I play a lot of Conan Exiles (multiplayer survival) whenever there’s an update. We’ve all been playing on and off since early access, and I’m sure anyone wanting to join would be more than welcome! It runs okay on older laptops, but I’d definitely check somewhere like CanIRunIt. MMOs have been a little sparse recently as the 2 that a lot were waiting on (new LOTR MMO and a Harry Potter MMO) have been cancelled/delayed.

If anyone here is interested in a gaming community, I happily invite all of you into mine on discord. It’s a group of us that came together from a streamer, but we moved away when he started to change his content into something more religious. Wide range of games and people, but I’ll say it’s an 18+ server as we don’t really filter content much so I won’t post a link to it in here. If people do wish to join I can DM a link.

Activity Forums The Hall of Hobbies Gaming Garrison Currently Playing Super Topic

You must be logged in to create new discussions.