Activity Forums The Hall of Hobbies Crafters’ Castle Hook & Needle Craft – (The Court of Grandmothers)

• Ashburn

August 12, 2019 at 8:56 pm

And I made a thing that will be added to my cross-stitch queue.

Indeed2point0

It’s 150×231 as far as actual rows/columns with stitches, but I left an empty space all the way around so it says 152×233.

I feel like that page is a community favorite (and definitely one of mine), so… :cjmagiq:

Indeed

8/13: I nudged the F a bit to the right, and the link is updated to reflect the change; also switched to new screenshot.

• Sellalellen

August 12, 2019 at 9:09 pm

!! This might become my favourite thread! “Indeed” is everything I didn’t know I wanted, and @Cj_Heighton you did very well in accidentally naming us.

• cjheighton1998

August 12, 2019 at 9:21 pm

oh no. You went and did it. You madmen.

• Ashburn

August 12, 2019 at 9:22 pm

:steve: :yarn:

• Ashburn

August 12, 2019 at 11:24 pm

Oh, that reminds me, yarn things!

Dragon I made for a friend’s baby shower

My still-not-finished solar system blanket that desperately needs blocking to not look like a skirt with the hole filled in.

• Ashburn

August 12, 2019 at 11:42 pm

And some embroidered blocks for a Labyrinth quilt that’s about half finished

A paper pieced block I tried designing (and another dragon)

I’ll see if I can find some pics of the blocks for my Hobbit quilt (that also needs to be finished, but at least all the blocks are done :sweat_smile:).

• Viviane

August 13, 2019 at 1:09 am

OH NO. You went and shared that Liquid Fralm pattern, and I have too many unfinished projects, but I NEED IT!!! :rofl:

• Ashburn

August 13, 2019 at 2:39 am

I’ll be tweaking it a smidge in the morning, so hold off on saving it just yet! (The placement of the F is bothering me)

• Ashburn

August 13, 2019 at 2:43 am

I finished blocks 31-40 of my temperature blanket (my current big project), the most diverse set of ten so far. (The flash seems to wash out the color in the Aspen and Spring Green in the second row center and far right)

Technically they’ll all be lined up as part of the same row, but I figured it’d be easier to see concept/details grouping them like that.

• Connielass

August 13, 2019 at 3:23 am

yells “Allonsy!” and dives headlong into the madness

• Sellalellen

August 15, 2019 at 8:26 am

I made these socks for a friend who just had a baby this morning. I’d meant to make something larger but the baby came a little sooner than expected so I sort of rushed to make these.

I’m actually really impressed with this pattern, so I’m going to link it to this post.

You don’t need to leave a hole and then come back afterwards to finish the heel, instead you crochet continuously from the toe to the cuff, working a few short rounds in between to make the heel, and then continue stitching in the round with no pesky joining.

The pattern is also written well, and the stitch counts are all accurate, so I didn’t have to adjust anything to make it come out like the ones in the picture.

• Ashburn

August 20, 2019 at 10:52 pm

Want in on a group cross-stitch project? I’m plotting one at the moment!

How it will work:

1. I finish designing it/getting supplies together
    2. I send it to first person who wants to work on it (I’ll probably do a bit myself first so there’s something there); I’ll make sure it fits in a small padded envelope to protect it/save on shipping
    3. Recipient stitches some, packs it back up, sends on to the next person
    4. Repeat until finished!
    • Vega

October 14, 2019 at 10:49 pm

sounds like a great project

• Sellalellen

August 21, 2019 at 2:28 am

Sounds fun

• Ashburn

August 22, 2019 at 9:33 pm

I made a new poll to figure out how many people were interested in participating in this group cross-stitch thing (since I’m super smart and forgot to make voters visible in the last one :sweat_smile:).

It’ll be up for at least a week, so if you’re interested… :eaves:

• Sellalellen

August 23, 2019 at 1:55 am

Maybe after the group project is done, it could find a home at the office of a certain publishing company? :cjtea:

• Ashburn

August 23, 2019 at 2:18 am

:cjtea: :cjtea:

• meadhbh-hawtin

September 12, 2019 at 5:33 am

Finally hit the point where I had to move my hoop so I took the chance to snap a picture of my project. I’ve made quite a few mistakes, but so far I’m very happy with how it’s going!

70165992_592031581334276_3224647852265308160_n

I’ve never embroidered lettering before and it’s definitely been a trial for me. I fully expect this project to take at least a year, especially with how bad I am at sitting down and working on it.

Here’s what it’s going to look like when it’s finished (there’s some blood, if you’re iffy with that):

• Viviane

September 12, 2019 at 4:51 pm

This is so gorgeous. I love the design!

• josephinekelly

September 12, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Oh wow, that is an ambitious design! How do you find stitching on denim? I’ve only done suede and silk.

I’ve rather fallen off with my knitting and embroidery over the last few years because…well, life. But I did a huge Viking braid blanket for my husband that took nearly a year and something like 40 skeins of yarn. And I desperately need to finish the present I started for a friend in the UK. It was originally a wedding gift and they just had their second anniversary. :grimacing:

• meadhbh-hawtin

September 13, 2019 at 12:59 am

@Viviane thanks! I’m hoping it looks as nice embroidered as drawn ha

@Sorrel Personally I like stitching with denim, I find it holds up to more of my abuse than other fabrics. I have a tendency to rip holes into thinner fabrics, which is why a lot of my projects are on hold until I get myself under control. The hardest part of this jacket is getting the seams into my hoops. I’ve never done suede, though, which sounds like an interesting project!

• Sellalellen

October 12, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Because I shaved my hair off, my head has been cold and I needed a hat. So I sat down to crochet one at maybe 8pm, and kept telling myself “One more row and then I’ll go to bed” but I didn’t finish until 4am and didn’t even notice the time passing.

Then I thought it looked too plain, so I pulled out my embroidery things and decided to make an eye out of some felt. I figured it wouldn’t take more than ten minutes or so, because I was only going to use flat colours and basic stitching. I got over ambitious and ended up using 3 different thread colours for the iris and that made things take even longer. Still didn’t think I was taking that long.

By the time I finished with the eye and sewed it to the hat (with a little stuffing for realistic curve), it was 6:40am. So basically I accidentally spent the whole night making things and now it’s time to be awake again. I don’t regret it, as it looks cool and it’s comfy, but I really need to work on my awareness of time while in the middle of a project.

• BrokenVoid

October 12, 2019 at 8:58 pm

I absolutely love that hat Sel! It’s super cool!

• lesleydominic

October 12, 2019 at 10:17 pm

Loooove the hat, the eye is such a cool detail!

• Connielass

October 12, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Who’s on Ravelry?! I have the same username there.

• josephinekelly

October 12, 2019 at 8:26 pm

I’m on Ravelry as chameleonarcher, but I don’t really do much with it other than collect patterns every now and then. I haven’t been knitting or stitching much recently.

Buuut I just found out my best friend is pregnant, so I’m going to be hunting for nerdy baby blankets to make!!

• Ashburn

October 12, 2019 at 10:11 pm

Congrats to your friend!

And I’m not sure if her free patterns are on ravelry or not, but I know Yarn Geek Makes (once Two Hearts Crochet) is currently four or five letters into a knit/corner-to-corner crochet alphabet nerd blanket that looks to be small human-sized when finished… (and plenty of folks are designing their own options for letters that cover fandoms that aren’t their thing and sharing them on the Facebook group).

I’m aerosimmy on ravelry, also a pattern hoarder. :deirdrexd:

• Ashburn

October 14, 2019 at 3:41 am

I may have just purchased another previous Steotchalong pattern (bought one the other night for a gift for Ashbro).

Specifically, the Star Wars “Home Sweet Home” one is going to be a gift, and the Samuel L Jackson a la Pulp Fiction one was another one I thought he might like that I also just really want to make. :deirdrexd:

• Connielass

October 17, 2019 at 10:15 pm
  • Connielass

October 18, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Anyone else love having zippered pockets, but loathe making them?

• Ashburn

October 18, 2019 at 7:24 pm

I haven’t, but can only imagine what a pain in the backside they are.

• Viviane

October 18, 2019 at 8:57 pm

Zippered anything is loathsome. Pockets are doubly so.

• Connielass

October 19, 2019 at 12:35 am

After many ripped-out and redone stitches, stabbed fingers, and unintelligible cussing, it’s finished!

Find more pics on my Insta

• Ashburn

October 19, 2019 at 12:46 am

The unintelligible cussing means you know it’s working. :simon:

Looks great!

• Connielass

October 19, 2019 at 1:06 am

I think next time I make another one for myself, I’ll make it taller by maybe a couple inches so I can put a zipper on the front…

• Connielass

October 28, 2019 at 11:28 pm

I really want to urge people who live in cold climates, please do what you can for the homeless. I’m using up my stash of acrylic yarns to make hats for homeless in Philadelphia

Maple Leaf hat on Ravelry if anyone’s curious

• Catherine

October 29, 2019 at 5:23 pm

That’s a great idea! I’ve been wanting to look into where I can donate some hats as well, because nobody I know needs another hat but I have a bunch of yarn and just like having something to do with my hands. Love that pattern too!

• Ashburn

November 24, 2019 at 3:48 am

I finished my brother’s Christmas gift! (Aside from ironing/framing)

Now I can get back to my temperature blanket. :eaves:

• Connielass

November 25, 2019 at 7:24 am

I just finished my first attempt at a Boston bag. Christmas gift for my sister.

It has six pockets total; two zippered and four patch. This was also my first attempt using elastic cording. I also used the main fabric from the outside of the bag as the inside bottom and side lining. I lost track of how many times I stabbed myself.

Now I have to figure out how to make Mom’s without her seeing it, considering the sewing machine is in her bedroom.

• Ashburn

November 25, 2019 at 11:48 am

Ooh, that fabric… :cjheart:

It looks great though, the crafting deities have clearly appreciated the finger-pricks.

• EternalHearts

December 6, 2019 at 9:40 pm

That bag is gorgeous!

Many thanks to @Ashburn for pointing me in this direction, I will have to pick back up the project I’m currently working on (a birthday gift for my Man of Honor 2 Septembers ago…).

• Catherine

December 9, 2019 at 2:14 pm

I am currently working on socks for the first time and oh my goodness it is so much harder than I thought it would be!!! I also intended for them to be a Christmas gift but now I think I might have to reconsider…

• EternalHearts

December 9, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Keep the hope of Christmas, but give yourself an allowance to Little Christmas!

• KhaosRose

December 11, 2019 at 5:35 am

You peeps are awesome. Just finished browsing this thread (pun intended), and I’m super impressed. I’ve been working on this one big counted cross-stitch since I was about 10 years old lol. A lot of life has happened since then, but I know I’ll finish it eventually. Just doing even a few threads at a time, once every few weeks/month. Happy crafting!

• Catherine

December 17, 2019 at 2:20 pm

Finished these lil slouchy slippers last night!! They’re slightly mismatched (accidentally bound off the ankle tighter on one than the other) and meant to be a Christmas present for my boyfriend but chances they actually fit him are…slim. We’ll see :grimacing:

• Catherine

December 18, 2019 at 3:40 pm

Update: they fit!!! I am shocked but pleased!!!

• Marlificent

December 19, 2019 at 12:02 am

Everyone’s creations look so cool! And amazingly done too!

I have a little something to share as well!

It’s a skirt I made a couple years ago but I love it so much! I wear it a lot to parties :slight_smile:

It even has pockets!!!

• Sellalellen

December 19, 2019 at 10:27 am

Pockets! :heart_eyes:

• Marlificent

December 19, 2019 at 7:42 pm

My favourite part to be honest :joy::joy::joy:

• EternalHearts

December 19, 2019 at 6:22 pm

That’s gorgeous! I do wish I were able to sew, I’d make/improve many of my clothes.

• Marlificent

December 19, 2019 at 7:45 pm

It’s definitely a useful skill! I taught myself using a couple of my mothers old pieces & patterns (she used to be a dressmaker) Mum also helped a LOT when I was first starting out :blush:

• Ashburn

December 19, 2019 at 3:23 pm

A couple folks were knitting during the AG+ game night last night (I’ve crocheted during part of one in the past), and the idea came up to see if the Court of Grandmothers was interested in possibly doing a virtual crafting bee at some point. Or a “stitch & bitch,” as its called nowadays.

So, poll time!

• Yes, Mounties and crafts on video chat!
    • Crafting on video chat isn’t really my thing…

voters

I’m sure the time frame can get sorted once we figure out who’s interested.

• CJB

Administrator
      December 19, 2019 at 4:43 pm

I hadn’t knit in about five years and it was a blast to do while playing last night. As an introvert, it made a video hangout much easier, because I was focused on something else. I will definitely join a Mounty video crafting bee when I have the time!

• josephinekelly

December 20, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Video chat crafting would probably help me to finish some projects. And sort out my work room.

• dara-ferland

December 20, 2019 at 10:14 pm

Yeah Ive got stuff too that I can’t get finished. It’s ok if it’s not needle based but still pretty fussy like that? :3

• Ashburn

December 20, 2019 at 10:15 pm

For the eventual craft bee? Sure!

• dara-ferland

December 20, 2019 at 10:22 pm

I’ve been trying to paint and built models for years o. O I’m determined to do some things for myself this year but I tend to just sit and scroll from being tired! I could do better than that n. ~

• Connielass

December 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm

As with my other hobbies, my needle/yarn crafting is on the back burner now while I job hunt. :disappointed:

• Catherine

December 30, 2019 at 4:02 pm

Made this hat for my mom for Christmas!! I had to learn how to do the eyelets which was tricky but well worth it!! This was my first attempt at DIY pom-pom making too and I’m honestly shocked everything turned out as well as it did :joy:

• Sellalellen

December 30, 2019 at 7:59 pm

Honestly if you said you bought that from a store I’d believe you. Very well done.

• Sapphire

December 30, 2019 at 10:26 pm

My other half is currently both shocked and impressed with me.

My last knitting project, a scarf, took me 13months to complete.

He got me a DIY cardigan from Wool and the Gang for Christmas and I’m already about 2/3s though the back panel.

Finding it more relaxing than I used to, although that’s probably down to improved technique.

• Ashburn

January 9, 2020 at 6:56 pm

I found a cross stitch kit I got ages ago (10-ish years?), finally going to do it!

I’d work on my temperature blanket, but discovered I missed a color when I ordered everything last year. :cagsko:

Edit: this is going to be…interesting. The pattern looks like it was designed by hand on graph paper, and not all of the colors in the key are labeled (the two colors for the water aren’t even colored in on the key!)

I’m just going to translate this thing to stitchfiddle, of the 28 colors that came in here, 13 are actually labeled as far as where they go.

• Sellalellen

January 23, 2020 at 12:50 am

A dice bad made from the yarn from my Secret Saberlane gift. It was easy to work with, and became unexpectedly soft after I blocked it.

• Catherine

January 23, 2020 at 1:29 pm

Omg it’s adorable!!! We love that yarn it’s so nice. So glad you found a good use for it!!!

• josephinekelly

January 23, 2020 at 5:06 pm

Wow, that is lovely! And the top looks like a star…you have skills.

• Ashburn

January 24, 2020 at 12:40 am

One of the outdoor kittens (that’s probably old enough to not be a kitten anymore) decided digging through the outside half of my draft blocker was a constructive way to get inside, so no more draft blocker. :bashfacepalm:

I decided to make a one-sided one for the inside with some of my yarn stash. Stripes based on number of active named/numbered storms each day of the 2004 hurricane season (it was A Time :tm:).

My colors for this project from 0-4:

(The gray isn’t actually that dark)

• Connielass

January 25, 2020 at 1:43 am

First finished project of 2020! (And ready in time for spell-casting Feb)

Three Pines Hat on Ravelry

• Catherine

January 27, 2020 at 8:05 pm

What a cool pattern!!

• Connielass

February 15, 2020 at 10:38 pm

My first attempt at anything resembling quilting. It turned out better than I’d expected, considering. I’d also had reservations about the mismatched shade of thread, but I really like how it looks here.

• meadhbh-hawtin

February 17, 2020 at 1:24 am

Took a break from my jacket to make a present for my mom, now I just need to find some felt to finish it.

alpaca

I’m also working on making a shirt, which is slow going since I’m handsewing all of it and need to source some materials. It’s still cheaper than buying the shirt I’m basing it off of, though, and I’m getting a lot better at finishing seams!

I ALSO joined a group that is a year of historical Viking sewing projects, and the first one is coming up in March. I’m not sure I’ll actually make any of them (I tend towards later period stuff) but I might make an outfit just to have on hand.

• Ashburn

February 17, 2020 at 3:27 am

That looks fantastic!

All those knots… :cagsko:

• meadhbh-hawtin

February 17, 2020 at 3:38 am

The knots actually went really quickly! I was surprised because I haven’t actually done that many French knots before, but it only took me about three or four hours for the whole project.

• Ashburn

February 17, 2020 at 3:32 am

I took a break from my draft dodger since all the crocheting is starting to rough up my fingers.

Went and designed a couple cross stitch projects featuring Mountie quotes that I very much look forward to stitching. :deirdreexcited:

• Sellalellen

February 17, 2020 at 9:14 am

I’ve never managed to get the hang of French Knots. They tend to unravel while I’m pulling the thread through.

• EternalHearts

February 17, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Same here @Sellalellen. I always just make a regular knot after struggling with the French for approximately 20 million years.

• Tinker

February 18, 2020 at 6:56 am

A little bit late (I think it’s now been a bit over a week since I finished) but I made my first quilt! It was very simple – large block panels and some border between it, and I didn’t really do any topstitching aside from the outer border) but I’m so happy with how it came out!! This one was a gift for someone, but I kindaaaaa wanna make one for me now :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Ashburn

February 18, 2020 at 11:53 am

And if you (or anyone else, for that matter) feel like taking a stab at some geeky paper pieced quilt blocks, I’m more than happy to introduce folks to the absolute mess of free patterns I know about. :simon:

(Seriously, I love my Lonely Mountain block in the Hobbit quilt I need to put together)

• meadhbh-hawtin

February 19, 2020 at 3:16 am

What have you got? I’ve never done quilting, but it is something I eventually want to get into!

• Ashburn

February 19, 2020 at 4:38 am

Okay, the sheer number of patterns is a little overwhelming at first glance now compared to when I first found it, but Fandom in Stitches has so many things that I want to make, and there are so many layouts that people have modified to make their own (I’m looking at the Project of Doom bookshelf). :spiritseergimme:

Most of the patterns are paper pieced quilt blocks, but there are some embroidery blocks as well (Doctor Who, Labyrinth, I think X Files…).

• Ashburn

February 20, 2020 at 3:15 pm
    • josephinekelly

February 21, 2020 at 5:45 pm

:heart_eyes: That is DELIGHTFUL!!!

• Ashburn

February 18, 2022 at 3:24 am

:spiritseergimme: I finished putting the top together! :cagsfabulous:

According to IMDB, I started working on this about 10 years ago. :cagsko:

Now to figure out the backing and finish this sucker! :aetherdetermined:

• Ashburn

February 25, 2020 at 12:00 am

I finished one of the little cross stitch patterns I designed last week, a quote from @OracleSage.

• Ashburn

March 3, 2020 at 4:52 pm

I finished the other little (about the height of a sharpie) Mountie quote project, this time courtesy of @Augustus_Octavian (September was a good month for Goss quotes)

(In other news, that s in nachos does not show up well in that photo…)

• grace-nessen

March 3, 2020 at 4:58 pm

This is so good! The way you embellished “light” looks amazing! I miss cross-stitching and making new patterns so much

• Augustus_Octavian

March 3, 2020 at 5:11 pm

That made me smile.

• Ashburn

March 17, 2020 at 9:54 pm

Yarn crafters! One of the crafting groups I follow on Facebook shared a Finnish(?) designer’s post regarding a ravelry coupon code good for one free pattern in light of most everyone suddenly being kept home.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1149575055378665&id=183522148650632

I got the geeky one that is supposed to be part of a series of patterns… :eyes:

• Connielass

March 23, 2020 at 2:17 pm

Well…

The clutch wallet I’ve been working on is 90% finished. It wasn’t until after I finished sewing, trimming and pressing the main body that I realized I did it with the lining wrong side out.

At this point I really don’t think I have the energy to pick it all apart and do again…

• Viviane

March 26, 2020 at 11:11 pm

Sooo, since we’re all living the #Quarantine life now, any interest in doing a virtual crafting hangout?

• Sellalellen

March 27, 2020 at 4:45 pm

That would be awesome!