Activity Forums Community The Briarverse How Do Your (Other) Fandoms Fit Into The Briarverse Guilds?

• How Do Your (Other) Fandoms Fit Into The Briarverse Guilds?

Posted by CJB on December 10, 2020 at 4:17 pm

This post I made a few days ago:

Got me thinking … how would the six Briarverse guilds map to other Mounties’ favorite fandoms?

The Prompt:

Imagine characters from other worlds you love just took the Guide to Magiq Assessment. It can be books, TV, comics, manga, music groups, anything goes!

The Challenge:

One character in each guild, no overlap, no redundancies. They are becoming a balanced master coven, which means representation from each of the six corners.

Bonus (optional) challenge:

No bad guys in Balimora :laughing:

Discuss, debate, and even offer alternate versions of the same fandoms! Did I do Buffy justice? Let me know!

CJB replied 8 months, 1 week ago 9 Members · 25 Replies
  • 25 Replies
  • Ashburn

December 10, 2020 at 5:28 pm

Outlander (based off the show, as I wasn’t patient enough to read the books first and haven’t got round to it :deirdrexd:)

:weatherwatch: (Young) Ian

:gossmere: Claire

:flinterforge: Brianna

:ebenguard: Jamie?

:thornmouth: Roger

:balimora: Murtagh?

Little iffy on Ebbie and Bali, but the others seem fairly obvious choices.

• CJB

Administrator
      December 10, 2020 at 5:29 pm

@Catherine, what say you? :cjheart:

• Catherine

December 10, 2020 at 5:32 pm

Jamie is TOTALLY an Ebenguard. Murtagh…hmm. I kind of see him as an Ebenguard too, maybe?? Although, the whole fugitive on-the-run arc of the most recent couple of seasons (I think that was the most recent season?) is very Balimora for sure.

Agree with all the other choices!! Trying to think of another good, clear fit for Bali…

• Ashburn

December 10, 2020 at 5:35 pm

It was a combination of that particular spoiler and the “ok, then I’ll marry you.” like it was the most obvious choice when Frank’s ancestors were going to be orphaned/widowed several seasons ago.

Another thought for Bali would be that French royal guy they were schmoozing back before the war?

• Catherine

December 10, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Oh YES I forgot about that part! I’m thinking Geillis for Balimora too, maybe??

• Ashburn

December 10, 2020 at 5:38 pm

I feel like she ends up stealing bonus points, though, even if she didn’t start out as a “bad guy.”

• Catherine

December 10, 2020 at 5:41 pm

Ahh, very true. I was thinking more along the lines of how she’s the first person to help show Claire which herbs and things to work with in the very beginning. Her methods of…“researching” the natural world definitely lose her bonus points in the end, though.

• Ashburn

December 10, 2020 at 5:41 pm

Also didn’t think Ian would appreciate being next to her on the Chronocompass. :grimacing:

• Catherine

December 10, 2020 at 5:43 pm

I think Ian would want her as far, far away as possible :colewat:

I’d say Ian also has some Bali tendencies, but definitely more Weatherwatch than anything else.

• Ashburn

December 10, 2020 at 5:45 pm

What about that reverend/preacher guy that married Marsali and Fergus?

• Catherine

December 10, 2020 at 5:46 pm

omg, yes :joy:

What would Marsali be?? I feel like she and Claire are very similar, they’d make a good Goss team.

• Augustus_Octavian

December 10, 2020 at 5:48 pm

Dresden Files

:weatherwatch: Sanya

:gossmere: Waldo Butters

:flinterforge: Bob

:ebenguard: Harry Dresden

:thornmouth: Ivy (The Archive)

:balimora: River Shoulders

• VictorianFlorist

December 11, 2020 at 3:44 am

Stormlight Archive

:flinterforge: Navani Kholin

:thornmouth: Jasnah Kholin

:ebenguard: Kaladin Stormblessed

:balimora: Shallan Davar

:balimora: Lift

:weatherwatch: Rysn Ftori

:gossmere: Renarin Kholin

:ebenguard: Dalinar Kholin

With stormlight I could probably go on and on and on, honestly

edit: Very disappointed in myself that it didn’t occur to me that Lopen would be a textbook Balimoran.

• josephinekelly

December 11, 2020 at 5:52 pm

Lopen and Lift are absolutely Balimora! Snitching pancakes and stickin’ folks to walls, gancho!

Some more Rosharans for you:

:gossmere: Rock

:weatherwatch: Eshonai

:thornmouth: Venli

:ebenguard: Rlain

:gossmere: Teft (world’s gruffest, grumpiest Gossmere)

:ebenguard: Taravangian

:balimora: Wit

:flinterforge: Adolin Kholin

On the surface, Adolin seems all Ebenguard but under all the soldiering instilled in him from childhood, he’s got a dogged “I’m going to get this done” streak. Though certain recent developments could put him with his brother in Gossmere, too.

• josephinekelly

December 11, 2020 at 8:36 pm

Actual answers to the challenge because before I was just excited:

Lord of the Rings (keeping it in the Fellowship)

:flinterforge: Gimli

:balimora: Legolas

:ebenguard: Aragorn

:thornmouth: Frodo

:weatherwatch: Merry

:gossmere: Samwise

(Just to finish out the set, Boromir is Ebenguard, Pippin is Weatherwatch, and so is Gandalf the Grey. But Gandalf the White is the Cagliostro. :laughing:)

• Augustus_Octavian

December 11, 2020 at 9:42 pm

Oh boy. You just opened up a whole can of worms :rofl:

• josephinekelly

December 11, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Lol, he’s in such good company, though! Most of my favorite Elves would be Flinters! I did consider Gandalf for it, but Gimli’s creating of a new kingdom at Aglarond won me over. I feel like “made a kingdom out of nothing” is a very Flinterforge-in-Middle-earth thing to do.

• VictorianFlorist

December 11, 2020 at 10:08 pm

Now I’m thinking about mistborn too

:balimora: Kelsier (Though if you know spoilers he might be arguably a :weatherwatch:)

:balimora: Vin (I had a lot of trouble pinning Vin down and am still unsure)

:thornmouth: Elend Venture

:gossmere: Sazed

:ebenguard: Marsh

:gossmere: Breeze

:flinterforge: Clubs

Era 2

:ebenguard: Waxilliam

:balimora: Wayne

:thornmouth: Marasi

:gossmere: or :thornmouth: Steris

:flinterforge: Ranette

• Sellalellen

December 11, 2020 at 11:56 pm

Vin definitely seems Bali to me.

• Ginger

December 12, 2020 at 5:31 am

I agree wholeheartedly with almost the entirety of your choices. Especially Elend :joy: my favourite nerd

I would agree on both accounts for Kelsier but I’m leaning more towards Bali. The whole sometimes change can only come through destruction, mixed with the ‘in a society built on rules and roles and hierarchies if you want things to change you have to sow chaos’ really put him in the Bali category for me.

I would put Vin in Balimora, but she is a tough one. I think it’s difficult because she very much is a product of her environment, and one of her biggest goals for most of her life was simply to survive, so that makes it tough to sort out who she actually is underneath all that.

Interesting choice for Sazed.

Boy is a walking encyclopedia and you choose Goss. I don’t disagree with that choice, though. I do think that some of the reasons I would put him in Gossmere could also be used in a Thornmouth case.

What were your reasons, Vic? I’m curious.

I just miss talking about Mistborn tbh

• VictorianFlorist

December 12, 2020 at 5:44 am

For Sazed I really took into account the way his character changed in the third book and his eventually transformation. Tindwyl’s (sp?) death had such a profound affect on his his relationship to Terri’s culture and his role as a keeper.

I feel like Sazed is a very knowledgeable character, but post her death, he no longer saw the inherent value in knowledge. His relationship changed from simply storing knowledge to storing it with the motivation and hope that said knowledge will one day help another, which I feel.is very goss.

And it speaks to how keepers were trained as well. I truly feel like the keepers were thornmouth, archiving information for the sake of information. But Sazed was always considered a bad keeper. Sazed worked to actually influence the world instead of merely observing. I feel like his empathy for others was key in this

(Forgive me if I’m a bit rambly, I have a really bad cold and I don’t usually get this sick nor take medication like I am so its throwing me for a loop.)

• Ginger

December 13, 2020 at 7:23 am

All incredibly valid points that I agree with. I love the rambles, don’t worry.

I would’ve put him in Gossmere purely on his relationships with the characters around him in the first book. He always manages to give his friends exactly what they need, even if they don’t know they need it. Sure he’s not perfect, but other characters seem comfortable around him without him really trying, and that just screamed Goss helping others find a home in other people not merely a place.

And then he only grows from there, and I agree his transformation in the third book only solidified him as Gossmere. He had all that knowledge, but still not the answers that would ease his grief and pain. The realization that a library full of information couldn’t explain away the emotions that go along with living was huge for him, I think.

• EternalHearts

December 12, 2020 at 3:10 am

Okay, okay; I’m in. Sailor Moon Sailor Senshi

My main list for @CJB’s uber-coven:

:gossmere: Sailor Moon

:ebenguard: Sailor Neptune

:weatherwatch: Sailor Mars

:thornmouth: Sailor Pluto

:balimora: Sailor Saturn

:flinterforge: Sailor Mercury

And just for referenece because I can’t leave the other Senshi without their Guilds:

:weatherwatch: Sailor Jupiter

:gossmere: Sailor Venus

:flinterforge: Tuxedo Mask

:ebenguard: Sailor Uranus

:gossmere: Sailor Chibi Moon

• Ashburn

December 1, 2021 at 4:47 pm

Okay, it’s been almost a year, time for some topic resurrection! :cagsfabulous:

My brain is a little too amped at the moment to choose, but after seeing the new Ghostbusters movie last week it definitely got me thinking.

Anybody happen to have any thoughts/opinions? New characters absolutely welcome, but really feel the original four need to be in there.

Spengler, I think, is probably somewhere in the ballpark of :thornmouth: and :balimora:, with the mad science stuff.

• CJB

Administrator
      December 1, 2021 at 6:23 pm

Ghostbusters was a big influence on me and my work. And the lore is surprisingly deep.