Activity Forums The Reading Room Mountie Motivation Fitness Challenge

• Mountie Motivation Fitness Challenge

Posted by Augustus_Octavian on January 2, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Happy New Year, Mountaineers!

I’m so inspired every day by our community, especially initiatives that come from our members themselves like @Deyavi’s NaNoWriMo project. Now that the holidays are over, I’d like to challenge everyone to step up to a month of fitness.

I know, I know. New Year’s resolutions… people signing up for the gym then dropping out. It’s cliche, but it’s also when gym and fitness club memberships are cheapest, so it will be the best time to get the most folks involved.

I’ve played around with a few group/social fitness apps over the past few months, but really haven’t found anything that crosses platforms (Android/iOS) and fits our needs. I, for one, am surprisingly averse to competition so I’d rather see us all work together towards a common goal than against each other in a “who can lift the most weight” or “who goes to the gym the most” type deal. So, I figured we could use this thread as a common ground for mutual movitation, inspiration, and then I can post some specific “challenges” that we can all work towards together… more on that later.

This all being said, I’d like to formally invite @everyone to join me in a month of fitness, community and camaraderie.

Augustus_Octavian replied 4 years, 8 months ago 14 Members · 69 Replies
  • 69 Replies
  • Augustus_Octavian

January 2, 2018 at 3:50 pm

I’d like to start out by sharing a social media post from a high school friend of mine; she also just happens to be a competitive/semi-pro body builder, massage therapist and all-round nice gal:

“Oh hey it’s the time of year when people make resolutions to get healthier and start showing up at the gym/all the meatheads and gym rats start whining about all the “resolutioners” and saying stuff like “can’t wait until February when they all give up.”

If you are saying this crap – you are a jerk. Maybe they gave up in part because they don’t like being surrounded by jerks. We were all noobs once. Cut the @#$%.

To ya’ll starting out – awesome. You are gonna be SO JACKED. If anyone glares at you, talks down to you, or tries to intimidate you, they are jerks (and you joined a @#$%ty gym, sorry. Hope you didn’t sign a contract.) Don’t let the bastards get you down (and don’t do squats on the smith machine.)

• Augustus_Octavian

January 2, 2018 at 4:05 pm

So, what do I do?

I started going to the gym for the first time really in my life about 4 years ago. I started going with a friend, which made all the difference. Telling my friend I’d meet him at the gym in the morning before work made me feel accountable, and kept me from rolling over and going back to sleep many, many mornings. Although we’re separated (sometimes literally by continents), I hope to have that same aspect of social accountability here, together, in our community. It’s been a year since my friend and I were able to work out together, but I’ve been able to keep up my commitment for a whole year; working out together changed my lifestyle, and I was finally able to go beyond simply going because I told him I would. It look a while.

So, I go to the gym 2-3 morning a week, before work. My work day starts at 8, and I like to arrive a little early, which puts me getting up at 5 am, starting my workout by 5:30, and leaving the gym by 7:00 – 7:15 am to get to work for 7:30. I always start out with 30 minutes of cardio (elliptical, bike or rowing machine). Rarely… well, very rarely, I’ll hop into an early morning yoga class instead of cardio. I then do an 45 minutes to an hour of weight training. I rotate between chest, triceps and abs; back and biceps; legs and shoulders. I’ll probably post specific workouts as I do them during the week.

I can tell you that it’s been a long, slow road – and it’s supposed to be. Signing up for a one month fitness challenge or making a New Year’s resolution is only the first step. But I will tell you that it’s drastically improved my health, my confidence and even weird day to day things like being able to open jars more easily. I wouldn’t change it for all the extra hours of sleep in the world.

• Nighteater

January 2, 2018 at 5:32 pm

I have a couple of quick start routines Ill try and post later that don’t require any equipment.

• Ashburn

January 2, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Now that I don’t have the Run Through History I did last year (mostly on my bike, shh), with it’s deadline of the end of the year to finish, I may end up taking a bit of a break from my extra biking.

That said, I still have Amerithon to finish, and it would be great to finish it this year (so glad it doesn’t have a strict deadline to finish). To do that, I would need to do about 45.5 miles per week, which won’t be accurate since that’s definitely not happening this week.

An app that is used in a couple virtual running clubs I’m part of (that include biking, walking, etc.) is Charity Miles. They encourage creative means of racking up miles (not just walking/running/biking), and I forget the breakdown but miles submitted = money donated to whichever charity you happen to choose. It uses the GPS and accelerometer on your phone depending on if it’s on indoor or outdoor mode. They also have options for making teams so you can see how many miles have been done collectively (or compete on the leaderboard :wink: ). It can be a bit buggy, but figured I’d mention it.

• Augustus_Octavian

January 3, 2018 at 1:01 pm

I’d like to start coming up with some group challenges, but I need a sense of how many people are interested in order to set appropriate goals – who’s with me?

• Sellalellen

January 3, 2018 at 2:59 pm

I’ve started learning a kpop dance routine in order to exercise more. I’d prefer to run, but there’s 3 feet of snow outside and I’m clumsy enough as is without ice underfoot.

My main problem is remembering to work out consistently. I’ll be great for a week and then suddenly forget I had any goal in mind.

• Nighteater

January 3, 2018 at 5:41 pm
  • Nimueh

January 3, 2018 at 6:46 pm

My main problem is I’m always so tired when I get back from class to even think about exercising. I walk about 30-40mins to Uni 4 days a week, and occasionally more if I’m doing a concert or something. That’s it, exercise done. Unless you count the 2.5hours of Archery I do a week.

I have this year decided that I need to loose weight however. I got graduation in a year and a half, and there’s no way I’m having my photo taken for that the way I look now. Nuhah, this has to be the year I get something done. How that’ll happen, god only knows, but I’m gonna try (and probably fail after a week if I even get started).

Urg, I said to myself I wasn’t gonna go on a moan when I started this, looks like I failed…

• Augustus_Octavian

January 3, 2018 at 7:34 pm

I get you. I don’t even consider exercising after I leave work- I’m too exhausted, have too much going on in my mind, and just want to go home, relax and spend time with my family. That’s why the early morning thing works so well for me – I’ve been sticking with it for four years. I feel awake and energized for the rest of the day when I work out in the mornings. It’s not for everybody, but it might be a good solution – is there a gym on campus you could use before classes?

• Nimueh

January 3, 2018 at 7:57 pm

Um, I think so. It’s 20mins away from where I’m staying though, and I’m lucky if I’m awake with enough time to get to class as it is lol. I’m not a morning person in the slightest…

Meh, I’m sure I’ll come up with something that suits me. Got a folder of easy, geeky workouts I’ve been meaning to actually try and follow, we’ll see how it goes.

• Nimueh

January 3, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Oh dear, I may have found a solution… http://www.ludosport.net/en/academies-schools/the-academies/ There’s one of these 10mins from me…

• Augustus_Octavian

January 9, 2018 at 11:15 am

Here we are on Tuesday, 6 am Eastern. It’s my gym morning. I skipped a couple of days last week to deal with the big snow storm, but that’s part of why I’m posting today: discipline is important, but life happens. Just because you had an exam, a foot of snow, a death in the family, it doesn’t mean you’ve failed if you missed a session. It’s okay. You can always pick back up later in the week.

Back to “back and biceps.” Get ’em, kids.

• Augustus_Octavian

January 12, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Friday Challenge: Cole’s Footsteps

Okay Mountaineers – here’s the first of hopefully many Friday Challenges. We’re going to start small and work our way up. Back between Fragments 14 and 15, our beloved Chronocompass dragged @CRSumner all over Central Park.

According to Google Maps, this was a total of 2.6 miles. This Friday’s challenge is to walk/run/jog/elliptical that much distance in a single session. Bicycling doesn’t count. Post here when you’ve completed the challenge – new challenge coming next Friday!

• Sellalellen

January 12, 2018 at 7:52 pm

That’s roughly 4.2 km for anyone not in the States.

• Ashburn

January 13, 2018 at 4:33 am

QuickMemo _2018-01-12-23-20-50

Done!

• Sellalellen

January 13, 2018 at 9:07 pm
  • Augustus_Octavian

January 14, 2018 at 3:24 pm

Awesome work, @Ashburn and @Sellalellen!

• Augustus_Octavian

January 16, 2018 at 11:13 am

Edit:. I just realized I shorted it by 0.2 miles. Always next time!

• Nimueh

January 16, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Does walking 1.8 miles to and from an exam count, adding up to 2.6 miles? ‘Cause yeah, that was my day today…

Edit: Never mind, I just actually read the challenge… No way I was doign 2.6 in one session, 1.8 nearly killed me…

• Augustus_Octavian

January 16, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Good effort though! Walking as a function of necessity (rather than driving, for example) is an awesome way to incorporate exercise into day-to-day life.

• Augustus_Octavian

January 17, 2018 at 11:57 am

Having joined 2/3rds into TMP, I could use some help identifying any physical aspects of TMP that could be made into weekly challenges. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are more than welcome!

• CJB

Administrator
      January 17, 2018 at 12:36 pm

I love Cole’s journey walk idea, very creative TMP-related challenge!

Here’s my miles for yesterday, though a museum tour and used book scout figured heavily into my 7 miles walked. (Also, living in NYC, you walk. A lot.)

• Augustus_Octavian

January 17, 2018 at 12:40 pm

CJB hitting it out of the park! I hope at least 2.6 of those were contiguous for purposes of completing the challenge, though :wink:

• CJB

Administrator
          January 17, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Oh yeah, I was wizarding my feet off at The Met.

• CJB

Administrator
    January 17, 2018 at 12:53 pm

I think some Ebbie-inspired “hone the mind and body” challenges could be cool too.

• Augustus_Octavian

January 17, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Guild-inspired challenges would be perfect! Thanks for the idea – I’ve already come up with the first one for Friday!

• Leigha

January 17, 2018 at 7:29 pm

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

• Augustus_Octavian

January 17, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Glad to hear that you’ve run this by your physician – drastic weight loss plans should always be vetted by a trusted, licensed medical professional before they’re initiated/undertaken. Also glad to hear that you’re feeling better doing it!

• Robert

January 17, 2018 at 8:03 pm

That sounds interesting to me @Leigha. I’ll check it out. Thank you for sharing.

• Augustus_Octavian

January 19, 2018 at 11:12 am

That’s more like it. New (guild-inspired!) challenge later today.

• Augustus_Octavian

January 19, 2018 at 8:57 pm

Friday Challenge: Gossmere Tranquility

This is the first of six guild-inspired challenges. I’m very bias, but I think starting off with Gossmere will be perfect. We Gossmerim aren’t renown for our physical prowess or fighting skill, and health/wellness isn’t also only about physical strength, speed or stamina. Strength of the mind and spirit is just as important to health and wellness as bodily strength.

So this week’s Gossmere-inspired challenge is to meditate. The goal is 10 minutes every day.

New to meditation? There are some great, mindfulness-based resources out there to help, including apps like Headspace and Buddhify, guided meditations on YouTube and other social media sites. Good luck this week, Moutaineers!

• Augustus_Octavian

January 22, 2018 at 1:18 am

I’m honestly having more trouble with this challenge than the last one!

• mariahgarell

January 22, 2018 at 3:22 am

Teaching your mind to be quiet can be harder than teaching your body to be active.

• CJB

Administrator
      January 22, 2018 at 11:52 am

I’ve used Headspace off and on for a year now and still only do 5 minutes at a time.

What I like about Headspace is how it teaches to repurpose thought, not drive them out.

• mariahgarell

January 22, 2018 at 4:36 pm

I think a key to meditation is that you accept when your thoughts wander, and don’t work so hard to make your mind empty. Just acknowledge when you have thoughts, the direction they’re going in, and then gently redirect without getting caught up in the fact that you were “distracted.”

Meditation is such a tricky thing. But I’ve been told that the only thing that makes it “incorrect” is when you stress out over whether or not you’re doing it “right.”

• Sellalellen

January 22, 2018 at 9:05 pm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onemangamestudio.MeditationGame this one is pretty good for beginners I think. There’s no voiced narration but it does a good job of getting you in the mindset.

• sdhockaday

January 24, 2018 at 1:16 am

Even though the months almost over I thought I’d get in on it! Decided to start working out with my friend! One hour of kick boxing and a couple of climbs on the rock climbing wall!

• Augustus_Octavian

January 24, 2018 at 1:26 am

I’m proud of you, 5! Those are awesome workouts.

FYI, we’ll go longer than one month :cjtea:

• Augustus_Octavian

January 26, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Happy Friday, Mountaineers!

I hope everyone feels one with the Magiqverse after last week’s Gossmere Tranquility medication challenge. You’re going to need for this week’s challenge. May I present…

Friday Challenge: Ebenguard Discipline

I’d like to thank @OracleSage for the inspiration for this challenge. What exercise better distills the balance between mind and body, the self-discipline of the Ebenguard than … “planks?” Planks are deceptively simple, but in reality very, very difficult. Trust me.

What is a “plank” you ask? It’s an exercise where you hold a posture face down, resting on your feet and elbows with your back kept perfectly straight. A picture is worth a thousand words, so…

plank

Photo courtesy of Muscle and Fitness, where there’s a great detailed article and video on planks.

Okay, Mountaineers – your challenge is work up to planking for one minute. How often you plank is up to you. “Hahahaha, Augbro! I can already plank for one minute! Challenge: Complete!” you say. Then, sir/madam, if you can already plank for one full (excruciating) minute, your challenge is to increase the duration of your maximum plank time by 30 seconds.

Good luck this week, Mounties!

• mariahgarell

January 26, 2018 at 4:17 pm

YES PLANKS HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS TRYING TO STRENGTHEN MY CORE?

(The only thing I think could hold a candle to planks is wall sits!)

• Ashburn

January 26, 2018 at 7:53 pm

I remember the bain that is wall sits from tai chi class, oof.

• Tinker

January 27, 2018 at 5:46 am

I haven’t done planks in literal years…But I’m down to try to get back into it…

• Sellalellen

January 27, 2018 at 7:10 am

My method for timing my planks/distracting myself is watching short videos on my phone while I do it. You’ll be staring at the ground anyway and it’s more fun than counting. So here is a collection of funny YouTube videos, all one minute or under. I haven’t seen all of them but I highly reccomend Benedict Cumberbatch Trying to Pronounce Penguins. Although come to think of it maybe laughing while planking isnt ideal. Idk.

• Remus

January 29, 2018 at 1:34 am

So planks are my favorite exercise, but I’ve neglected working out in any capacity since July or so. But Augo’s challenge this week, so I decided to try to plank for as long as I could after a long period of inactivity, and…

I did pretty well! I’m definitely going to start doing more of the core exercises I used to do, but if nothing else, I’m going to see how much longer I can last than this!

• Tinker

January 29, 2018 at 6:51 am

Okay, day 3 of planks and I’ve gotten up to 50 seconds (No timer proof tho…I’ve been watching music videos as motivation)! So still a bit more to go to meet the goal, but I’m feeling good, given it’s probably been like 6 years since I’ve done planks…

Unexpected obstacles so far: my apartment is almost completely carpeted, so I got mad rug burns on my elbows after the first two nights.

• Augustus_Octavian

January 30, 2018 at 11:32 am

I’m no @Remus, but I made the goal time!

• Augustus_Octavian

February 1, 2018 at 11:05 am
  • Augustus_Octavian

February 4, 2018 at 8:33 pm

A little late with this challenge, but better late then never.

This week, it’s Weatherwatch Motion!

Always on the move in search of the Further Fire, I wanted a to choose a body-weight exercise with constant movement that honors the Weatherwatch guild. So for this week’s challenge: Burpees!

No, I don’t mean what happens after too many burgers and sodas aboard the Ascension on the way to the next adventure. Burpees are an exercise where you drop from a standing position to a crouch, hands on the ground in front of you. You then extend your legs backwards, out straight, bring your legs back into a crouching position then stand up, raising your arms over your head. If you’re feeling ambitious and want to work your chest, do a pushup in the middle of all that.

The challenge is… 25 burpees! Go!

• Augustus_Octavian

February 5, 2018 at 1:42 am

Meant to post this as a quick how-to link, too:

• Nighteater

February 8, 2018 at 8:58 pm

I know its a bit late to the party, but for those still interested, try mediating while planking, it will help the time pass and distract from the exertion.

• Augustus_Octavian

February 9, 2018 at 2:47 pm

We’re going to take a brief break from guild-themed challenges (don’t worry, Flinterforge – your time will come) and retrace more of our dear friend @CRSumner with another Cole’s Footsteps Challenge! This one is inadvertently shorter than Footsteps Challenge #1, at about 1/2 the distance, but I think we could all use a breather after the torment of burpees. So, here goes:

This week’s Cole’s Footsteps Challenge is to run, walk or jog 1.5 miles in a single session. Go!

• Sellalellen

February 9, 2018 at 9:35 pm

That’s 2.4 km

• Rimor

February 9, 2018 at 9:39 pm

I think Augo is secretly trying to kill us! :joy:

• Augustus_Octavian

February 9, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Dude – 2.4 km/1.5 miles is about 30 minutes of brisk walking. You can do it, no sweat. Literally. You probably won’t even sweat.

• Rimor

February 9, 2018 at 9:41 pm

Grumbles something about walking to the fridge is hard enough

• Augustus_Octavian

February 12, 2018 at 11:28 am

I also did the 25 burpees I owed you.

• Augustus_Octavian

February 16, 2018 at 5:44 pm

Happy Friday, Mounties! We’re heading in to the long weekend, and back to guild-themed challenges. I’ve tried to stick with body weight exercises that require no equipment, but for this week you will need access to a pull up bar, at home or at the gym. This week’s challenge is… Balimoran Strength

Strong back muscles are key to climbing in the forested/jungle terrain Balimorans call home. These will also work your biceps and other key arm muscles. So, to complete this challenge, do a set of pull ups until failure each time you exercise. True to the chaotic nature of Balimorans, this number will be different and unique for each of us.

Can’t do a pull up? Start with “inverse pull ups”- take a standing jump at a pull up bar and grasp the bar at the height of the jump and hold your position for as long as possible. As slowly as you can, lower yourself down to the ground. This will build the muscles needed to eventually overcome the gravitational constant and do a full pull up on your own! If you’re at a gym, you could also try weight-assisted pull ups, but that requires some highly specialized equipment.

• Viviane

February 16, 2018 at 5:51 pm

LOL. So I totally did 1.5 miles (on a treadmill, but still) yesterday and I was all excited but then I FORGOT to post it here. :joy:

On the subject of this week: I very much do not have access to a pull-up bar – thanks, useless tiny apartment workout room. Maybe I can co-opt monkey-bars in the park next door? Any better suggestions for those of us stranded without gym memberships/other adequate fitness facilities?

• Augustus_Octavian

February 19, 2018 at 11:05 pm

How’s it going, Mountaineers? This happened this morning. They were inverse pull ups though, since I have a long way to go on my upper body strength!

• Augustus_Octavian

February 23, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Happy Friday, Mounties!

This week’s challenge is inspired by our friends in Thornmouth… sitting in their libraries, among walls and walls of books… That’s right! The Thornmouth Stillness Challenge is Wall Sits!

You’re going to want to bring a book, because the challenge is to wall sit for two minutes. If you can already wall sit for two or more minutes, 1) screw you and 2) add a 10 pound/4.5 kg medicine ball (or any other 10 pound/4.5 kg object, really).

Good luck, Mountaineers!

• mariahgarell

February 23, 2018 at 4:25 pm

YES I have been waiting for this one.

You’re just picking all my favorites for these challenges!

• Augustus_Octavian

March 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm

And here we are, with the final installment of the Mountie Motivation Fitness Challenge – Flinterforge Industry. The Day’s Work is the essence of the Flinterforge mindset: using one’s hands to transform, to improve. Putting your hands in the soil, getting them dirty, to make something new out of raw materials.

For this challenge, you’ll be putting your hands to the ground to transform your own body: pushups to failure. That means doing as many pushups as you possibly can until you literally can’t pick your body up off the ground. You will be amazed at how quickly this transforms the muscles of your arms and chest, with simple (and free!) body weight exercise.

There’s no need to post the number of pushups you do here – everyone’s numbers will be different, and really aren’t comparable across ages, sexes and body builds. I want anyone participating to do three sets over the course of the week, and feel free to post that they’re done on this thread.

This has been a really fun initiative. I have one last thing to share with everyone next week after the Flinterforge challenge is over. Stay tuned, Mountaineers!

• Augustus_Octavian

March 19, 2018 at 10:15 am

Two out of three sets!

• Augustus_Octavian

March 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Hello Mounties!

I would really like to thank everyone for joining in on our fitness challenge. I’m really proud of everyone who participated in the weekly challenges! The MVP award goes to @Remus, who left me in his dust doing planks.

I wanted to leave everyone with one last pretty neat thing – it’s called Hero’s Journey, and it’s a free, RPG-based fitness program developed by a company called Darebee. It’s meant to be done daily, but a good friend and I are doing it on weekends to supplement our regular Monday-Wednesday-Friday gym time. It requires little-to-no equipment. It’s surprisingly difficult. If you’re interested, also poke around on the website since they have some other cool programs, like a sci-fi space ballad based program, and even an exercise programs for mothers, using your baby as a weight.

I’m very proud of you, Mounties! Keep it up!

Augo

Activity Forums The Reading Room Mountie Motivation Fitness Challenge

You must be logged in to create new discussions.