Activity Forums The Hall of Hobbies Crafters’ Castle Mystery Stitch-along (cross-stitch)

• Mystery Stitch-along (cross-stitch)

Posted by Ashburn on May 9, 2019 at 1:03 am

Okay, this invite of sorts may ramble a bit, so apologies if it gets hard to follow.

Tl;dr: There is a mystery cross-stitch project coming this summer, orchestrated by some non-magiq folks, that I have done the past couple years.Their site says content may range as high as an R-rating on the movie scale, but usually for crude humor related to body parts/adult activities (specifics are my observation), and there are usually completion options with friendlier ratings. Is anyone interested in participating?

Long version:

There is a thing out in other parts of the internet called Steotchalong. I found it after all the pattern pieces were up for year 5, and fully participated in year 6 (last year).

Steotchalong is a mystery cross-stitch project with multiple endings/ways to complete it, where the pattern is released over the course of several weeks (last year’s the endings were in week 9). The designer may (read: likely will) make it look like you’re stitching something naughty by selecting certain parts of the pattern to release earlier than others. Last year, parts of some letters looked like a particular number that would fit that description.

They did it over the fall holidays last year rather than over the summer, so when I tried to see if any Mounties wanted to join the fun the timing was less than ideal.

I’ll put a link here to a photo of the one that I finished last year as part of a gift exchange.

Edit: last photo in Rev’s post Winter Gift Exchange Unwrapping – #2 by Revenir

I’d love to, but I have no idea how to cross-stitch/they take so much time to complete.

It’s super easy, the only parts that might possibly need more than the standard making-a-little-x-over-and-over are in some of the pre-designed endings, and they do put diagrams for how to make those more difficult stitches if you really want those options for your own. As for it being time-consuming, they release the pattern in chunks of 100-150 or so stitches for an entire week, and there’s no hard-fast rule that you have to keep up with the releases. The project itself, depending on count of fabric, usually fits in a 5×7 frame.

What would I even need/does it cost anything?

If you happen to have cross-stitching supplies already, it may cost you nothing! The patterns will likely have pay-what-you-want links on the cover pages, but they aren’t mandatory.

Things you’ll need if you’re starting from zero:

Aida cloth (which count the designer used will be released later, but can be done on just about any of them; the number on the aida is how many x-es per inch, so the higher the number, the smaller it will be)

Embroidery floss – the kind that easily comes apart into six strands. Specific colors, if they are specified (last year’s pattern was “pick 4 that you like”) should be announced along with the size of the project.

A needle (so long as you can fit 2-3 strands of the floss in the eye, any sewing needle you happen to have is fine)

Some people use embroidery rings to keep their projects taut, or fabric markers to mark out a grid so it’s easier to find where the stitches need to go. I usually just put masking tape on the edges of my fabric to keep it from fraying, and on the example further up I made grid marks along the outer edge with sewing thread (five blocks over, five blocks under, and so on).

The last time they did it over the summer, it looks like the scant details pre-pattern release were posted mid/late June, so ample time to think about it.

Anyone interested? Or have any other questions?

Ashburn replied 2 years, 4 months ago 13 Members · 120 Replies
  • 120 Replies
  • AsterBlair

May 9, 2019 at 2:38 am

I’d really enjoy that, simply because I’ve been meaning to get back on the cross stitch wagon, and recently came into bunch of floss and stuff. I think the ongoing mystery also would keep me committed, because I can only seem to focus when I have a deadline :roll_eyes:.

• Viviane

May 9, 2019 at 2:01 pm

Oooh, this would be fun! And doing it together would probably motivate me to finish it. Count me in!

• Ashburn

May 10, 2019 at 3:54 am

Okay, I felt like digging up the actual pictures I took of the ones I’ve made from these things in the past.

A magiq version of 2017’s

Two other fandom ones I made for a gift exchange that year

And the one I finished last year (familiar if you followed the link in the first post)

I also initially started one in :ebenguard: colors, but gift exchange got in the way.

• revenaisreve

May 10, 2019 at 6:03 am

I still have that on my desk. It’s beautiful. :cjheart:

• Ashburn

June 6, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Still no word on details for the stitch-along, but I’m keeping an eye out!

In other news… I might design my own Magiq cross stitch project.

The designer for a crochet group I follow went fishing for geeky things she could use for an A-Z geek project. Being that everyone else was posting plenty of more mainstream things, I didn’t bother putting my two cents in about this.

But it made me think. Most of her projects are corner-to-corner, which could easily be translated to cross stitch (or vice versa)…

Magiq-verse alphabet cross stitch :deirdreexcited:

It will be mine

So when I’m taking a break from my other project(s), I’ll be thinking on what to include in it. There are so many T things off the top of my head I may have to do “(Time) Donut” (because that obviously has to be included).

Naturally, I’ll be sharing the designs when they’re done. :cjsmile:

• Nimuir

June 6, 2019 at 10:19 pm

The photos you posted look so cool and now I want to learn cross-stitch!

It’ll be cool to see those designs when they’re done :hushed:

• Ashburn

June 7, 2019 at 9:38 pm

I started making a list last night! It is by no means comprehensive (I may throw a few more guild affinities in, especially if it might be better use affinities as representation rather than actual guild names). With some of the things on here, I may not do as many pictures as part of this as I’d like (it would have to be huge to make some things recognizable). :eavessweat:

But yeah, any other suggestions? I haven’t done a thorough check on the end of the alphabet, but if anyone that’s read through more recently remembers anything, suggest away!

A Aether/Artificer’s Whim

B Balimora/Bestiary Arts

C Cags/Call to Hearth/Choreomancy

D Deeds/Durkonos

E Ebenguard/Evolutionary Magimystics

F Flinterforge

G Gossmere

H Herman

I Itsuki/Inlaudetus

J Joradian Safeguard

K King Rabbit/Knatz

L Lost Athenaeum/Little Red House

M Marty/Many Hands

N Nightmare Buddies/Navimancy/Neithercouriers

O Obenhedge/Obscuriotempus/Oracular Eye

P Philosomancy/Peering Arts

Q mirumagiQum/magiQ

R Robert Ate The Time Donut

S Stormslayer/Sand and Stone Scrying/Steve

T Thornmouth/Tome Kindling

U Unicorn’s Gait/Uproot/Undo, Multimystics/Unanchored

V Vhelicorus/Vordicriminant

W Weatherwatch

X

Y

Z

• Ashburn

June 15, 2019 at 7:34 pm

tl;dr: Does anyone have any longer magiqal words that could be used for X, Y, and Z?

~~

Okay, still no word on the stitch-along I initially made this thread for, but I’m done-ish with plotting the words out for the Magiq Alphabet cross-stitch thing.

I say done-ish because I’m feeling kind of meh about how small a space the last three letters take up in comparison to everything else above it.

At the moment, those spots are populated by galifanX, fraYlily, and breeZesigh.

I have other words that are about the same length (or shorter), but they’re sandwiched in with longer ones (even mirumagiqum doesn’t bother me too much, though I could easily shorten it to magiq). And with those short ones all on the visual base of the word tower, it looks like it’s going to topple over.

• Ashburn

June 29, 2019 at 11:38 pm

WE HAVE DATES

My nearly-obsessive checking of the organizer’s Facebook page have paid off!

…sort of.

August 3rd the thread requirements and size of the project will be announced (last year it was 10pm EST for pattern drops in case anyone gets to the point where they must have pattern).

August 17th will be the first part of the pattern!

They have some preliminary announcements and team sign ups (for official through-them-on-Facebook teams) the last couple weeks of July, but the big news things start in August.

So yeah, I’ll be back with more info in about a month! :knatzspoopy:

…we’ll see if I get any further with the magiq cross stitch before then :sweat_smile:

• Viviane

June 30, 2019 at 4:40 pm

Woo hoo! Maybe I’ll have finished the pattern I started a month ago by then!

• Ashburn

July 15, 2019 at 12:24 am

I’m pretty much done with a different super secret project, and I don’t want to be that person absorbed by their phone right now, so I’m trying to plot out graphic portions of the Magiq cross stitch.

Of course I has to start here:

And I think I’m going to try to fill that tilting bottom section (from short words being used for letters in the middle of them) with something big enough to balance it out. Was trying to justify pillars or something, but the Wishing Jar is right around there…

…It has also just come to my attention just how huge this alphabet beast is going to be. (By how close I’m putting my face to the page as I try to see the little squares in dim lighting)

This might have printed out about the size it would be if stitched on the fabric I used on the Flintershop one I made, maybe the next size smaller. :cagsko:

Definitely starting to think smaller groupings of things might be a good idea for the beginners/less craft-crazy of us.

• Ashburn

July 21, 2019 at 3:46 am

Okay, there were some very broad details announced on the video for the mystery stitch-along.

• The project is going to be like the ones before my time, where the picture is the same and there are different text options (the one I am definitely getting during their past project amnesty sale has Han and Chewie in the style of a Home Sweet Home cross stitch, with several other text options).
    • There are 11 parts to the pattern this year, so final part is released October 26th.
    • Apparently there will be some partial stitches in the main pattern, as well as mandatory backstitching, but they will be covered in the directions in great detail so everybody can do it. Backstitching starts in part 10.

And I’ll be back in a couple weeks with info on supplies/project size! :hermanthumbs:

• Viviane

July 24, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Question – is there potential for interest from this group that we could form an official team? Or perhaps all join another existing team?

• Tinker

July 24, 2019 at 6:18 pm

I would perhaps be interested…

• Ashburn

July 24, 2019 at 6:33 pm

I know last year there was a minimum of five for an official team, and that likely will remain the same. Opening of team sign ups and further details on that portion will be on this Saturday’s video, as will the official Facebook group for this particular year’s project.

The gist of it involves each group member being in the new official Facebook group, picking a team captain for purposes of having a single point of contact, and the team captain letting them know their team roster (using our names as they appear on Facebook) and team name.

As far as additional team activities, last year there were things like “make something spooky” and a civic duty week (voting/volunteering in the community) and I think a Christmassy thing? Most of those will likely be replaced by other things since it’ll be done before the holidays. Others included picture of a famous person with your project, stitching in cool places, having your whole team finish their projects within a certain amount of time after the final pattern drop, working on a group stitching project where at least five team members got their hands on it… And of course we’d be able to participate in as many or as few of the extra activities as we’d like, but they do award points. Oh, and there were points for having a team logo early on! (My team last year was Cross Snitches and the logo was a snitch made of thread with needle wings, and our group project is finally heading to the last person who wanted to work on it :sweat_smile:)

Edit: I found my team’s logo

• Ashburn

July 28, 2019 at 12:52 am

The video comes up in a few hours, but the official Facebook group is live. Here’s the link if anyone’s interested in making an official team; there’s a secret password at the bottom of the description for joining the group. (We’d all need to be in the group) Fair warning to those sensitive to language, the designer uses it frequently, though never in a mean way.

And here’s the top of the group form to see what’s involved (basically just people’s Facebook names on the bottom of the form and the email address for the captain).

If there’s any other info on the video tonight, I’ll be sure to add it! :laurensmile:

• Ashburn

August 1, 2019 at 2:27 am

Okay, so there was no video on Saturday, just the posting of the group form.

So, I guess the way to go about it would be message your Facebook name to whoever’s submitting the form once you’re in the group, and once there’s at least five (including the submitter) they send in the form? We can always add more later if desired.

Should also decide on a team name if we’re going all in. Something related to here seems to make the most sense. :brandonthinking:

• Ashburn

August 3, 2019 at 8:01 pm

Thread list comes out today! (And size of project, but colors)

It says “afternoon,” but it’s 4pm already, so we’ll see just how afternoon it is.

I’ll keep an eye out while I partake of PoGo’s community day and post here on my way to the craft store if it posts while I’m out. :deirdrexd:

• Ashburn

August 3, 2019 at 9:51 pm

Holy crap.

So many colors. :cagsko:

Have some screenshots of the list:

So I tried counting, and it looks like there are 60 colors in this beast. :cagsrip:

• Viviane

August 4, 2019 at 1:20 am

I had. The same thought. OMG.

• Ashburn

August 4, 2019 at 1:29 am

More info, now that I’m not out walking around testing my phone’s battery life. :sweat_smile:

Having just decided to bus/walk over to the craft store (after PoGo) and get as many of the colors as I could, it’s going to run close to $40 USD just for the floss without any discounts according to the prices at the Joann I went to. (0.56 per color, 2.79 for each of the shiny ones) Thankfully I was able to use a couple coupons and bring it closer to $30 (:cagsko:), but still need to find four of the colors.

As for fabric color, they recommend something of the light neutral variety for it to turn out as expected, but crazy/dark fabrics are stitchers prerogative. (I didn’t screenshot because it said something that rhymes with magical witches)

They also recommend possibly using a sharp needle for week 10, sounds like we’ll be poking through the middle of stitches. :eaves:

• Ashburn

August 4, 2019 at 2:14 am

Now, I’m pretty sure I already have a few of the colors (haven’t checked, but some of the pinky ones looked familiar). I could probably be persuaded to share some of the ones in groups 1 and 2 (and maybe some of 3 if I have a lot of a color in my far-flung stash), especially since those groups use less than two feet each and those bundles have several yards on them.

So potential sharing of 27 of the 60 colors. :cjtea:

(Once I, you know, get the rest of the ones in group 2 that I’m missing)

• Sellalellen

August 4, 2019 at 5:08 am

I have lots of colours, but most of them are unmarked so I’d have to look up what they look like, and try to match them visually.

• Ashburn

August 6, 2019 at 9:05 pm

The designer went and counted all the group 3 colors to see just how much people would need (minus week 11 things) if they wanted to share between each other.

The ones with asterisks are just the ones that require the most compared to the others. Technically none of them require an entire skein. :cjsmile:

So here’s group 3’s colors with generous approximations of just how much is needed:

318- 1 yard (~90 cm) or ⅛ skein

415- 1 yard (~90 cm) or ⅛ skein

435- 1.5 yard (~140 cm) or ⅙ skein

436- 1 yard (~90 cm) or ⅛ skein

437- 1 yard (~90 cm) or ⅛ skein

597- 1.5 yard (~140 cm) or ⅙ skein

598- 1.5 yard (~140 cm) or ⅙ skein

712- 1 yard (~90 cm) or ⅛ skein

738- 24 inches (~60cm) or 1/13 skein

739- 24 inches (~60cm) or 1/13 skein

754- 2.9 yards (~270cm) or ⅓ skein**

761- 24 inches (~60cm) or 1/13 skein

762- 24 inches (~60cm) or 1/13 skein

819- 24 inches (~60cm) or 1/13 skein

822- 1 yard (~90 cm) or ⅛ skein

841- 2 yards (~185 cm) or ¼ skein

842- 1 yard (~90 cm) or ⅛ skein

930- 24 inches (~60cm) or 1/13 skein

948- 2.9 yards (~270cm) or ⅓ skein**

950- 2 yards (~185 cm) or ¼ skein

961- 1 yard (~90 cm) or ⅛ skein

962- 2.9 yards (~270cm) or ⅓ skein**

3756- 24 inches (~60cm) or 1/13 skein

3779- 1.5 yard (~140 cm) or ⅙ skein

3790- 1.75 yards (~165cm) or ⅕ skein

3831- 1 yard (~90 cm) or ⅛ skein

3848- 1.5 yard (~140 cm) or ⅙ skein

3849- 1.5 yard (~140 cm) or ⅙ skein

3864- 1 yard (~90 cm) or ⅛ skein

3866- 1.75 yards (~165cm) or ⅕ skein

3884 or 04- 1.75 yards (~165cm) or ⅕ skein

Ecru- 1.75 yards (~165cm) or ⅕ skein

white/BLANC- 2.9 yards (~270cm) or ⅓ skein**

• Viviane

August 9, 2019 at 6:47 pm

FYI, Michaels is having a 40% off order online sale through this evening. I got over half of the colors list to pick up in-store for about $13.

• Ashburn

August 10, 2019 at 2:29 am

I found the last one!

I’m going to use some antique white 14 count aida that I have left over.

• Viviane

August 10, 2019 at 4:08 am

Ugh, your bobbins are so neat. I am so jealous.

• Ashburn

August 10, 2019 at 4:20 am

I have some from years ago that are very much not that neat, and I knew with this many that was the best way to keep them skinny as possible. :deirdrexd:

I may have also been working on them for the last several nights

• Ashburn

August 10, 2019 at 6:49 pm

I’m scrolling through the Facebook group for the project (as you do), and a lot of people seem to be of the opinion that it could be related to The Golden Girls… :brandonthinking:

Also, if anyone needs to get in on sharing some of the colors, let me know and I’ll measure some out! :cjsmile:

• Viviane

August 13, 2019 at 1:23 am

I may also have some shareable thread in groups 2 or 3, but I’m already getting about a third of the threads from another friend, so… :woman_shrugging:

I…kinda hope it’s not the Golden Girls? I have a friend who’ll happily take it off of me if it is, but that is…not really my thing.

I saw someone else suggest Grumpy Cat, which, probably not, but now I want a Grumpy Cat pattern.

• Ashburn

August 13, 2019 at 1:28 am

Betty White would be about the only saving grace if it is, not gonna lie.

I was thinking about low-key sharing the endings from last year’s for those interested, but the file looks like the picture parts all got corrupted. :laurencry:

• Ashburn

August 14, 2019 at 1:03 pm

There was a video last night! (and not a bit of swearing, I was kind of surprised)

The designer covered blending (cue the Terry Crews dance from Blended) since I guess there’s been a good bit of chatter about it on the Facebook page.

It sounds just as easy as you’d hope it would be.

One needle, one strand of each color, cross-stitch as usual.

Supposed to be a good way of mixing new colors and getting different effects (examples were stubble on a face, or fancy stuff with hair).

About 3.5 more days until the first pattern! :eaves:

• Ashburn

August 16, 2019 at 3:18 pm

The first pattern drops tomorrow night!

I know there was some talk about possibly forming a team, were there at least four (not including myself)? I’d be happy to be the point of contact.

I know Viv and Tink were toying with the idea…

• Viviane

August 16, 2019 at 5:29 pm

I had joined a local team since I wasn’t sure we had 5, but I’m happy to jump ship if enough Mounties want in!

• CJB

Administrator
    August 16, 2019 at 3:22 pm

This is SO COOL!

• Ashburn

August 16, 2019 at 7:02 pm

If we do make an official team, I was fiddling with a possible team name/logo?

AGPsCoG

And if not, then hey, I made a pattern for the AGP logo. :ascendershrug:

• Viviane

August 16, 2019 at 8:52 pm

I love this SO MUCH. Also, didn’t mention it on the other thread, but “Court of Grandmothers” is a fantastic name and I’m here for it.

But yeah. Can we get an official count of people doing the project who would want to be on a team?

• Ashburn

August 16, 2019 at 9:26 pm

List so far:

Myself

Viv (if we get three others)

Tink?

I think we can start teams even after the first pattern’s dropped, but we’d get more points if we have enough to start it before then.

• Tinker

August 19, 2019 at 6:04 pm

Sorry if this was already shared, but is there somewhere that lists the requirements for team participation? I’ve got two cross-stitch projects under my belt now, but both were really on the very simple side. I would love to participate, but I’m not entirely sure I could keep up with the complex stuff, so I don’t wanna cause problems for a team…

• Ashburn

August 19, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Some teams are more competitive than others. The only team challenge that has any sort of deadline is the “get as many people on your team to finish stitching within a couple weeks of the last pattern drop” one.

The rest of the team challenges are things like “take a pic of your project in a cool place” or “take a pic of your project with somebody famous” or the completely unrelated challenge for this week, “come up with a cocktail that embodies the spirit of your group.” :deirdrexd:

The worst of the stitching so far has been the quarter stitches and trying to see the tiny symbols inside the oval representing which corner gets it. Had to frog a few stitches to get back to where I needed them because I missed them.

The gist of it is to get a group of people together all working on the same thing and have fun with it. And maybe do the extra challenges if we find it interesting.

• Viviane

August 17, 2019 at 5:44 pm

I am become Grod, destroyer of stitches.

• Ashburn

August 17, 2019 at 8:40 pm

I, too, have grod (as much as I’ve ever done, anyway :deirdrexd:)

…though I might write numbers on the masking tape if I feel it’ll help later.

• viki-ziemba

August 17, 2019 at 6:40 pm

I’m a noob and just came across this thread…I would so love to join in but no way I could buy all that thread from scratch…so I’ll just lurk and watch your progress instead :deirdretea:

• Ashburn

August 17, 2019 at 9:50 pm

Honestly, even if we don’t have an official team, I would absolutely be down to do a group project that gets snail-mailed around if they do that particular team challenge again.

• Ashburn

August 18, 2019 at 1:31 am

And the first part of the pattern is up on Facebook!

Also, super jealous of teams, I feel like we could’ve had some serious fun with this week’s cocktail challenge, with or without alcohol. :steve:

• Ashburn

August 18, 2019 at 2:30 am

I went and weeded through the bobbins so I won’t have to carry all 60 colors with me tomorrow, and it really doesn’t use that many compared to what I’m leaving home. (13 of 60)

And it looks like there’s a typo in the individual color entries. 819 is listed twice, but the second time the symbol matches the blended entry it’s part of, so it’s probably supposed to be the blended one.

It has been pointed out on the official FB page that the ones without the asterisk are the only ones that are using two strands of the same color in those spots this week. Everything with an asterisk is first listed of the pair for blends/only being used for the blends. So even though 818 and 819 are both in a blend, 819 is the only one with two listings because it’s listed first on the blend. :laurendizzy:

• Ashburn

August 18, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Friendly tip: don’t print this thing.

It will not line up for anything. The top right and bottom left pages are printing smaller than the other two and will not line up for taping together, regardless of having matching printing settings. :bashfacepalm:

Also, apparently we’re supposed to save the tiny leftover floss bits? Not sure if they’ll actually be used for something later or what, but I have a little film canister for once I start. :ascendershrug:

• Ashburn

August 18, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Fun story! The quarter stitches have the symbol inside of a little oval quarter stitch.

So if you’re looking for funny little ovals on the key, not gonna find ’em. (Used to it just being the symbol really tiny in the corner it’s supposed to cover.

And stabbing your finger with a blunt needle is less bleedy than with a sharp one, but almost hurts more.

• Viviane

August 19, 2019 at 3:44 pm

LOL, what even are tapestry needles? Always and only sharps! :steve:

Yeah, I’ve been avoiding the blended bits so far because I was tired yesterday and didn’t feel like cutting/reading them. Guess I’ll have to do em sometime…

And I would love to do a group project! Maybe we could do something that people not in Steotch could also participate in?

• Ashburn

August 19, 2019 at 3:48 pm

Oh, absolutely. Group thing would definitely be a whoever-wants-to-get-stitchy thing.

And it feels like the whole heckin’ thing is blended just about. :deirdrexd:

On the last section right now, the 818/819/both of them blended part. Gonna go cross-eyed looking at it it’s all so stinkin’ light!

I ended up making makeshift bobbins for the blends out of the box my dinner came in last night. :sweat_smile:

And the dull needle is from a kit, all the others are pointy. :thread:

• Catherine

August 19, 2019 at 3:52 pm

okay my next crafty hobby to learn HAS to be cross stitching because these are awesome

• Ashburn

August 19, 2019 at 3:53 pm

I mean, if you want to save a spot on the group project… :endriwink:

• Viviane

August 19, 2019 at 5:27 pm

Yeah, I can’t see 819 that well against my fabric. Blech.

And I have no idea why people are saving the ORTs? I always just throw them away, but that’s because I’m a madwoman who hates changing thread and stitches until I absolutely can’t get the needle through at any angle. :laughing:

• Ashburn

August 19, 2019 at 6:30 pm

I’m not sure about the why, and I normally chuck mine too. If it’s long enough, it goes back on the bobbin for later (still doing that now, not good at estimating how much I’ll actually need to cover any given area), but otherwise :wastebasket:

But if the lady says to hold onto them, I’m sure there’s a reason. :ascendershrug:

And I’m so glad I left the 818/819 for today, I was working in low light last night and would not have been able to see it.

• Kallisti

August 19, 2019 at 4:09 pm

Mark me as also interested in a group project. :sparkling_heart:

• Ashburn

August 19, 2019 at 6:50 pm

Oh, and thanks to my replacement being late to take over for me, I was able to finish the first installment before I left work today!

• Sellalellen

August 20, 2019 at 12:28 am

I would be here for a Mountie group project. I’m more accustomed to free form embroidery than cross stitch, but I’m sure my skills will transfer over.

• Viviane

August 20, 2019 at 4:16 pm

If you’re familiar with embroidery you’re a step ahead! Anyone who can count pretty okay most of the time can do cross stitch. :smile:

• Catherine

August 20, 2019 at 5:45 pm

Welp, that counts me out :laurencry:

Jk I do want to learn but should also probably finish the projects I have before I go out and buy all new supplies and things! So count me in for distant future projects!! But will sadly have to pass this time around

• Ashburn

August 20, 2019 at 6:04 pm

Well the group one is probably going to be me getting all the supplies together and we take turns mailing it out, stitching a bit, mailing it on to the next person that wants a turn, repeat ’til it’s finished.

So if you want in on that without the overwhelming amount of colors that the Steotch thing has… :cjtea:

• Catherine

August 20, 2019 at 6:07 pm

ooh…wait yes maybe if anyone has good tutorial resources?? Since I would still need to learn how to actually cross-stitch. This sounds so fun though!!

• Ashburn

August 20, 2019 at 6:09 pm

It is super easy, especially how I tend to do it (where’s it’s almost exclusively making little x-es in different colors, like doing perler beads with thread).

• Catherine

August 20, 2019 at 6:12 pm

Eep okay I can do that!!

• Ashburn

August 20, 2019 at 10:36 pm

I’m plotting something for the group cross-stitch. Thoughts?

• One view of the entire pattern
    • Pattern broken up into pieces for each participant, only Ash knows the full design before it’s finished

voters

• viki-ziemba

August 21, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Would absolutely be a part of this project!

• Ashburn

August 22, 2019 at 9:29 pm

Okay, I finished translating the group project design into symbols (read: letters because apparently Google sheets don’t have a wingdings font?), and realized that I did not turn on the ability to see who voted in the last poll. :sweat_smile:

So, new poll!

• I’m in and have cross-stitched before
    • I’m in and have not cross-stitched much/at all
    • I love the concept, but I’ll pass this time

voters

As for how group projects with a virtual group work, I have done all of one before, but I think it’s finally on its way to the last person that wanted to work on it. :sweat_smile:

Here’s how it works:

• I’ll leave the poll up for a week or so, enough time to get a solid list of who’s participating (and see how many pieces I need to make out of the pattern)
    • We figure out a stitching order (ideally if we have multiple international participants it’ll leave the US once to help minimize shipping costs)
    • A total of two participants would know your address:

• the person sending it to you
      • the person you are sending to (from the return address)

Obviously best practice would be to only use the address for this, no sharing unless you have permission, standard common sense/courtesy stuff. Active stitcher will DM the next person when they’re ready to send it on down the list so addresses aren’t out in the open.

I’ll probably dig up/put together a how-to for those who want to participate but aren’t sure on the how (with pictures, of course). :laurensmile:

8/24: Popping back on here to mention I’m going to try making some things that can be kept from this (getting inspired by some of the stuff on the Steotchalong Facebook group), so if useful participation gifts are your thing…

Also, with the six yeses on the poll (plus Juniperus), we’re currently looking at about 1030 stitches per person. :knatzspoopy:

So if anyone else wants to join and whittle down the load a bit, there’s still time!

• Ashburn

August 25, 2019 at 11:26 pm

New pattern piece came out last night for the Steotchalong!

Naturally I started with the pieces in 962 (giant pink blob on the far right).

…Guess who gets to redo everything in that color!

Because it’s all five rows higher than it should be. All 15 rows of it, and it’s new smaller Utah-shaped friend. :bashfacepalm:

• Viviane

August 26, 2019 at 9:25 pm

LOL. I’m already behind because I spent the weekend packing to move, but we’ll see if I can catch up. I started another project too, for “in-between pattern drops”. I should post all my WIPs in the Court of Grandmothers thread when I unpack them this weekend. :rofl:

• Ashburn

August 28, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Okay, I’ll close the poll for participating in the Mountie group cross-stitch Friday morning-ish (may be closer to noon Eastern :sweat_smile:), so if you want in on the fun time’s running short!

• Ashburn

August 28, 2019 at 9:41 pm

Tl;dr version of questions:

• do you need an embroidery hoop when you cross-stitch?

• if yes, do you have one you can use when it’s your turn?

• if you have one you can use/don’t need one when stitching aida, the project can be folded to fit in the smallish envelope shown below

I got supplies!

Originally I was thinking “stitch in an embroidery hoop and then it’ll just need to be tightened up and trimmed for that nice traditional circular look!” and technically require a bit more designing for the extra space, but who’s counting

And then I got out the envelope I was planning on using…

So, how strongly do participants feel about having a hoop when stitching on fiddler’s aida, and would you need it included in items shipped or do you have one you like that could be used when the project is visiting you? (Difference is that it’s a little floppier than standard aida) And using a regular picture frame for the finished piece so it doesn’t need even more stitching per person?

• Viviane

August 29, 2019 at 1:31 am

I learned cross-stitch without a hoop and never found it problematic, even with the floppiness. I prefer to use one now, but I have my own that I can pop it into when it gets here, and I don’t think it’s too problematic to go without. Plus, if it might be cheaper/safer to ship without the hoop, that’s also something to consider.

• Kallisti

August 29, 2019 at 2:38 am

I prefer a hoop, but I have some of my own, so I’ll be fine to receive it and ship it sans hoop. :relaxed:

• viki-ziemba

September 4, 2019 at 10:55 pm

I don’t have a hoop anymore but I can buy one. I could even do without a hoop to be honest

• Sellalellen

August 29, 2019 at 4:04 am

I have a few hoops around here somewhere, so I don’t mind if it’s sent without. I’ve never actually worked on Aida before though so I may find I don’t need to use one after all. Most of my embroidery has been done on cotton or denim, but it was also less stitch counting and more freeform.

• Ashburn

September 1, 2019 at 10:19 pm

Part 3 of the Steotchalong came out last night!

And I just finished part 2! after realizing last night that the darker brown and blue sections were both five columns too far to the left

My progress before diving into the next part:

Really hoping those places I had to frog get covered eventually…

As for the group project, I’ll order the other part of the keepable once Dorian is definitely not coming toward the shipping path. :hermanthumbs:

• Ashburn

September 1, 2019 at 10:25 pm

Oh, and our marvelous participants for the group project!

We are currently set to cover 1030-ish stitches each.

When I was designing, my brain wasn’t thinking in the round. Do we want to:

• Keep pattern as is
    • Add even more stitches per person so it doesn’t look so empty in a hoop

voters

…I’m just gonna @ some folks to make sure this doesn’t get lost in the chaos that is the forum:

@Catherine

@Viviane

@Tinker

@Juniperus

(and Sel and Kallisti found the poll before the avalanche of other threads :simon:)

• Catherine

September 4, 2019 at 5:55 pm

I am not experienced enough to be able to give an opinion but I’m still excited!!!

• Ashburn

September 4, 2019 at 6:55 pm

Feel free to think of the options as “keep it boxy” and “make it round” if that helps. :laurensmile:

• viki-ziemba

September 4, 2019 at 11:01 pm

Question about the threads, will those be mailed with the project? Or should we all be buying our own stash?

• Ashburn

September 4, 2019 at 11:10 pm

I’ve got all the thread, and I’m planning on sticking a needle in there too (though if you have a favorite of your own feel free to use it :laurensmile:). On the off-chance someone does happen to run through an entire skein of one of the colors I can find another and send it on.

• Ashburn

September 5, 2019 at 9:07 pm

As I kind of expected, the poll is currently in a tie. :sweat_smile:

So I took a screenshot, colored over the pattern in the hopes of keeping it secret still, and put a circle around it to give an idea of how much space will be left open/if it’s too much blank space.

So, if anyone wants to adjust their votes one way or the other, I’ll leave the poll alone for a few more days.

9/10: Okay, poll’s closed. I’ll keep you all updated with final counts for per-person stitch count estimates once I fill some of that blank space in. :sweat_smile:

• Ashburn

September 12, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Group project update:

I filled in the spaces! (Without it looking too crowded, I hope :sweat_smile:)

Just need to adjust the individual pattern pieces and get the rest of the supplies ordered for the keepables tomorrow and things should be good to start soon!

I’ll go first, since I’m the origin point for the supplies, but what about the rest of the order? :eyes:

• Viviane

September 13, 2019 at 3:20 am

Can we get people to respond with their general location so we can try to calculate the most efficient shipping route? E.g., I’m near Washington, D.C.

• Tinker

September 13, 2019 at 6:02 pm

I’m pretty sure @Ashburn has an approximate on my location from previous things, but I’m in the north midwest US

• Ashburn

September 14, 2019 at 11:12 pm

I do indeed… :cjtea:

• Sellalellen

September 13, 2019 at 4:29 am

Southern Alberta

• Ashburn

September 13, 2019 at 4:38 am

I did a bit of profile peeking, it looks like we have three countries covered between the seven of us.

I’m sure the keepables won’t add too much extra weight to the package, but would it make sense to cover the four US stops first so there’s less bulk crossing borders?

• Kallisti

September 13, 2019 at 6:09 am

Chattanooga, TN, USA here

• viki-ziemba

September 13, 2019 at 10:49 am

New Zealand, just to be far away and difficult lol

• Ashburn

September 14, 2019 at 11:15 pm

Apparently there is a magical thing someone made that will estimate how many skeins of thread you’ll need depending on number of stitches and fabric count.

And it looks like one of the colors may be a little close to the line, so I’ll be picking up a second one of that color before things ship out just to make sure. :hermanthumbs:

• Ashburn

September 18, 2019 at 7:12 pm

The pattern is ready! :cagsfabulous:

In other news, I’d been planning on printing copies of each pattern and sticking them in envelopes with the keepables for everyone, but… I can’t get the print legible unless it’s on at least six pages each, and that’s barely legible. :sweat_smile:

So, yeah, pattern’s going to be digital! :eaves:

My goal is to have this thing ready to travel by the end of the month if everything goes according to plan, so we have until then to figure out a stitching order (or at least who’s going next).

• Ashburn

September 19, 2019 at 2:58 am

The Steotchalong (which I’m currently caught up on) has given me dangerous ideas.

Dangerous ideas like using blends (well, one)

…a variegated blend. :steve:

I’ll take some how-to pics before I get too far into stitching, any particular requests? A step by step for everything beyond threading a needle to cover all our bases?

@Tinker, @Sellalellen, @Catherine

• viki-ziemba

September 19, 2019 at 3:49 am

Variegated blend would be fun! I think instructions would be good just to make sure we’re all on the same page. So excited for this! :cjheart: Though think I’ll be last due to location. Will we have a rough time limit on our sections or just finish as able?

• Ashburn

September 19, 2019 at 4:16 am

Probably finish as able.

The new slightly-innacurate count on stitches per person is about 1300 (though some extras got in the count somewhere, when I add the numbers on my spreadsheet it comes up about 200 off from stitch fiddle). And I know life happens.

• Sellalellen

September 19, 2019 at 5:30 am

Maybe sending a few how-to links alongside the digital pattern could work. Then you can just find someone else’s tutorials and not have to make your own. Less work for you to do.

• Catherine

September 19, 2019 at 12:36 pm

How-to links would work for me! I’m very much a visual learner so if I can watch somebody doing it I can usually pick it up easier than by text instructions.

• Ashburn

September 20, 2019 at 7:39 pm

Time for Ashburn’s photo tutorial! :eaves:

Disclaimer: I know it’s embroidery floss, I have a tendency to just say “thread” in explanations.

Here’s the whole piece of fabric and the 19 stitches I did the other night.

I did a grid along the outside of the stitching area with light blue crochet thread to make it easier to count since it’s so big. I can remove before sending it on if no one else wants to use it, but it’s easy to push aside with the needle as you go for the few stitches that hit along it if we decide to leave it as a guide.

For the tutorial I covered this set of ten stitches:

The other two columns are the ones I already did, so no worry of spoilers.

I made each person’s pattern different rainbow colors and grayed out everything that had been done in previous installments so it’s easier to see where things sit.

Super basic things:

• embroidery floss can be separated into six separate strands.
    • all the stitching will use two strands at a time.
    • for the blend, it’s one strand of each color going at the same time.

Some directions/people are super specific about how you have to go in rows, and have to go a certain direction/finish each “x” before continuing to the next.

Someone has tried both ways (going all the way across/all the way back and one “x” at a time) and there wasn’t a marked difference in amount of thread used, so it doesn’t particularly matter to me.

Since the section I’m stitching for this is a column, I’ll be going all the way down before heading back up.

I learned to cross-stitch having “/” that half of the stitch under ” ” this half, so I’m starting in the upper right corner of this particular “x” and going back into the fabric in the lower left. Going left to right or bottom to top I would do the opposite.

Now for a look at the backside!

This is technically upside down compared to the front view, but since that’s how I hold it when I’m stitching… :ascendershrug:

In this pic, you can see the tiny ends sticking out of the bottom right hole (top right in the front side), the rest of the thread sticking out of the opposite corner, and the needle going into the next hole in use. You may have noticed that there don’t seem to be any knots. That’s because…

We trap the ends under the crossover in the back! There are (apparently) other techniques that involve taking twice as much length from the skein as you intend, threading both ends through the needle, then looping through the center in the back to tie it off, but that seems harder to save usable leftovers to me. :ascendershrug:

Anyway, continue down the line of stitches you’re working, catching as much of that end in the back as you can (three loops should hold pretty well).

Then start working your way back the way you came.

And the column I was working on is complete! (you can see that section of the threads was darker than the ones I’d finished previously :cjmagiq:)

Now to fasten it off so all that stitching doesn’t come undone.

I went under four of the loops here because I could. There may be cases where there are less available. Just run the thread under as many as you can. (I don’t think I had any that needed to be single lonely stitches folded back on themselves. If there is a single stitch, trap both ends under the one back loop and leave enough of an end when you cut it loose that it shouldn’t be able to wriggle free without help.)

And that’s pretty much it! The leftover at that point is too small for more than a couple stitches (and even then, you’d need to find a shorter needle/do some fancy thread-chicken stuff* to finish it), so I just got rid of it.

For larger blocks of the same color, some people prefer to do a row, fasten off, start the next row, etc.

Personally, if it’s not too short after finishing a row, I’ll just keep going without fastening off. I tried making a graphic with a different section of the pattern.

tutorial

In this, I start in the top row (1), work my way back (2), start the next row without doing that first lonely stitch (3), go back (4), then when I hit that third row (5) I can either go right to left and come back to the stitches on the far left, or I can go left, do the two stitches next to 3 and 5, then do everything to the right of 5 and come back.

It’s also perfectly okay to start going down a row and not have enough thread to finish. Just fasten off while you have enough to do so, and start up with fresh where you left off.

*“thread-chicken” is when you might have enough thread to finish something, but you’re not sure, and you try anyway. If I have a couple more of these ” ” to finish but I’m running a little short, I’ll stick the needle in the fabric, re-thread it, then pull it through, repeating for each pass of the needle until it’s secured. If you’re not comfortable doing that, don’t feel obligated to do so.

• Viviane

September 20, 2019 at 11:36 pm

Aww yiss thread chicken.

And I was nervous when you said blends because Steotch blends are driving me nuts, but your variegated thread is so pretty I don’t even care.

• Ashburn

September 20, 2019 at 11:44 pm

Yeah, it’s just the one blend. I was iffy about it before I started stitching, but I really like how it’s working up so far.

The Steotch blends are all living on makeshift bobbins (helps keep them separate from the solo colors on regular bobbins), but I’m starting to wonder how many more there’re going to be!

• Catherine

September 25, 2019 at 6:15 pm

Do we know the order that this is going around yet?? I finished my big knitting project (read: and now am excite for something new to do!!

• Ashburn

September 25, 2019 at 6:30 pm

I think Sel and Juniperus were going to be 6 and 7 so most of the extra weight (keepables) will have been shed before shipping internationally, but I think 2-5 are still kind of up in the air right now.

• Catherine

September 25, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Hmmm maybe DC–>NYC–>midwest–>Alberta–>NZ? Moving steadily west??

• Ashburn

September 25, 2019 at 6:45 pm

Would we want to hit TN before hopping up the east coast? Or all east coast, then hop back down to pick up TN before heading north again?

• Catherine

September 25, 2019 at 6:52 pm

Oh I forgot about tennessee! I need a map…

• Ashburn

September 25, 2019 at 7:07 pm

Upon consideration of a map (:deirdrexd:), it looks like @Viviane or @Kallisti would be the most logical next person in line for stitching.

So… yeah, whichever of you feels most ready with life and things to receive the stitching once I’m ready to send it. :hermanthumbs:

• Ashburn

September 29, 2019 at 10:43 pm

So…it’s going to take me a little longer to get this ready.

That part I took pics of for the tutorial? 10 columns to the left of where it ought to be.

As is everything I used that as a guide for placement on (and there were some large chunks). :knatzspoopy:

Plus side is it’s not everything? Still working out exactly how much I need to frog though.

I was getting so close!

• Catherine

September 30, 2019 at 12:09 pm

No worries!! More time to actually learn what I’m doing!

• Ashburn

October 7, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Okay, project should be ready to ship out to stitcher number two on Saturday!

@Viviane? @Kallisti? Bueller?

Let me know who’s next. :eaves:

• Viviane

October 7, 2019 at 1:50 pm

I think if it’s okay with Kallisti, I should probably take it next, before my new costume design project starts up for real in November and sucks up all my free time.

• Ashburn

October 13, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Oh, and just so everyone else knows…

The project is in the hands of the postal service now. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

• Viviane

October 16, 2019 at 12:00 am

I got it! Just picked it up from my front desk. Will try to finish my bit and pass it on in a timely manner.

• Ashburn

October 24, 2019 at 3:46 am

So the mystery stitch-along that started this whole thread releases the finishing patterns this weekend, and the most current pattern finished up the main body of the project.

And it doesn’t completely suck!

No customizable faces (as I was kind of hoping for), but hopefully there are some good options for the last bit. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

• cjheighton1998

October 24, 2019 at 4:22 am

TRULY A CROSSTICH WORTHY OF THE COUNCIL OF GRANDMOTHERS!

• Ashburn

October 27, 2019 at 2:47 am

They did the final pattern release for all the endings tonight, and showed a bunch of the ones finished through last week’s pattern.

It mine! They cut out most of the needle minder, but it mine! :spiritseergimme:

…now to just figure out what I want to do to finish it. :sweat_smile:

Of the official endings, probably the St. Olaf one.

I mentioned the Lizzo lyrics I’d half expected to see on Facebook and someone really wants to see it. I’ll probably design it, but don’t think I’ll actually stitch it. (Or maybe stitch it and then frog and replace :sweat_smile:)

I’d prefer something related to them being the ideal adventuring party according to someone involved in D&D 2e.

…unless, of course, there were some way to magiq-ify it. :brandonthinking:

• Ashburn

November 3, 2019 at 11:58 pm

Okay, I didn’t try to put a magiq spin to it, but it’s finished!

• KhaosRose

December 11, 2019 at 5:29 am

Oh man, can’t believe I missed this! Can we maybe do one a year or something? I would have loved to be a part of this <3

• Ashburn

December 11, 2019 at 3:27 pm

If all goes well, I’m hoping for some sort of recurring thing. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

• Viviane

December 31, 2019 at 9:57 pm

HA. Joke’s on all of us. I said send it to me thinking I’d finish before the show prep started…and then the show prep started…

Anyway, I’m about half done with my portion now. My show opens this week and then I’ll be more or less done until the end of the month, so…who wants it next?

• Kallisti

March 17, 2020 at 2:55 pm

Ahhh! Sorry I disappeared for a while. I can take next if it didn’t get finished.

• Ashburn

July 28, 2020 at 5:07 pm

I happened to “forget” to see if there was a remnant on a fabric someone was having cut yesterday, and may have bought it myself.

It felt like it would be a good print for the “hide the back” fabric whenever it’s finished.

https://www.joann.com/premium-cotton-fabric-white-teal-vine-scrolls/16606972.html

Activity Forums The Hall of Hobbies Crafters’ Castle Mystery Stitch-along (cross-stitch)

You must be logged in to create new discussions.