Activity Forums The Reading Room The Monarch Papers Archive New here, could someone fill me in on how fragments work?

• New here, could someone fill me in on how fragments work?

Posted by Aerobane on September 30, 2016 at 7:31 pm

So I’ve read through the entire blog from D and I’m currently reading through the other updates from BC33 and I’m realy confused on how fragments work. How are new ones discovered? Is there some verification that an idea is now a “fragment”? How do you now for sure when its been “solved”? If anyone can help a newbie shine some light on this I’d appreciate it.

Aerobane replied 6 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • chameleonink

September 30, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Hi Aerobane! Welcome!

I think @Endri might be able to help. Endri – I know you’ve had to explain this to me a few times already! :slight_smile: Mind going over it again?

Glad you’re here, @Aerobane!

• Aerobane

September 30, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Thanks @Johanna ! Ebenguard buddies unite!

• darkmimic

September 30, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Hi @Aerobane. First, let me say welcome! Yes, this all can be a bit confusing, but don’t worry. At it’s core, it is really very simple:

We’re trying to open a book.

That’s it. That’s our goal, to open up the Book of Briars. Only thing is, we can’t open it right now. When you visit the link (if you haven’t already), you’ll notice that there are four locks on the cover of the book, one in each corner.

Now, what we DO know is that we need to find sixteen fragments in order to unlock the book. We assume four fragments per lock. We’ve found three fragments so far.

So what, exactly, is a fragment anyway? Well, they are specific webpages with images of scraps of paper. As we collect more fragments, we can see how those scraps are put together to form a single page. We are assuming that a full page will give us the clues needed to open one of the four locks.

Now, how are we finding the fragments? THAT’s where it can get a bit complicated, but ultimately we are looking for a single word or phrase to add at the end of the Book of Briars website’s URL. For example:

Fraylily

Eye of the Moons

Vhelicorus

When we discovered these words, we went to the Book’s website and placed them at the end of the URL which gave us a missing fragment.

As for how we ultimately arrived at those words, well, that would take too long to address here. I recommend, if you have time, to read the posts discussing the First, Second, and Third fragments to see our trains of thought, what we were looking at, and how we eventually found the answers we were looking for.

I know there is a lot to sift through, but don’t let it overwhelm you. Just jump in when you can and offer whatever insights you have. Every little bit helps and this is certainly a group effort. So glad to have you aboard!

• Aerobane

October 3, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Thank you so much. The URL part was the piece I was missing to understand all of this. Cant wait to start contributing.

The discussion ‘New here, could someone fill me in on how fragments work?’ is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Activity Forums The Reading Room The Monarch Papers Archive New here, could someone fill me in on how fragments work?

You must be logged in to create new discussions.