Activity Forums Community Journals Nimueh’s Journal

• Nimueh’s Journal

Posted by Nimueh on April 3, 2021 at 6:18 pm

Hi, I’m Nim! This is probably just gonna be a place for me to post random things, projects, maybe pics from when I go away with reenactment, and more than likely random ttrpg stories/thoughts. But, a few things about me first:

• I’ve lived in South Wales my whole life, but can only speak/understand a little basic Welsh. :dragon:
    • I can understand more French than Welsh! I also know a little Spanish, Italian, German, and Sindarin (yes, the Tolkien pseudo-language), and bits of Irish Gaelic and Latin.
    • I love to learn where words and phrases come from.
    • I play flute, piano, recorder, sing, and compose/arrange/produce my own music on Youtube/Soundcloud/Bandcamp. :musical_keyboard:
    • I have a degree in Music :musical_score: :woman_student:
    • I play far too many video games (PC and Xbox) and used to be a moderator for an online gaming community. :video_game:
    • I’m enjoying learning about the ttrpg world (I am a dice goblin) and being a small part of it. :woman_mage:
    • At time of posting, I’m in two D&D 5e campaigns and waiting on the release of 3 new ttrpg systems (including Neithernor RPG ofc :deirdreexcited: )
    • I love learning about mythology, particularly Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, and Celtic myths. :classical_building:
    • Huge Arthurian legend nerd!!!
    • Not really practicing Wiccan/Pagan
    Cynical replied 6 months, 1 week ago 8 Members · 33 Replies
  • 33 Replies
  • Nimueh

April 3, 2021 at 6:23 pm

So, I may have done the most British thing I’ve ever done.

My mother got a birthday card in the mail the other day, and I noticed it had a strange stamp. Turns out it was a stamp showing Merlin with a baby Arthur! Googled it and found that Royal Mail were doing limited edition stamps based on Arthurian legend!!! They’re claiming him as English (which is a load of absolute nonsence!) and have a special post mark you can get on them as well. Me being me, I decided to get myself some. It comes with an info sheet on the legends explaining the artwork, but I’m probably not gonna read it based on the previously mentioned idiotic claim.

OFC, I saw they also had Sherlockstamps, and well:

• josephinekelly

April 3, 2021 at 8:47 pm

It amuses me greatly that two heroes of what is considered quintessentially English legend–Arthur and St. George– are not even English. :laughing: Folklore is wild.

What are your favorite Arthurian books?

• Nimueh

April 3, 2021 at 10:05 pm

Oooo… Stephen Lawhead’s Pendragon Cycle has to be my favourite for sure. So many interwoven versions while also managing to give his own spin on the legend is great. Also, Susan Cooper’s The Dark is Rising Sequence, cause it was the first series I ever reread (cause I have a thing that I can’t read something if I know the ending).

• Remus

April 4, 2021 at 2:08 am

King Arthur is a really complex character in origin, I agree! In my French Medieval Lit class last year, we talked about Arthur’s story being innately tied to France in addition to Wales even though, as you said, he’s seen as innately English. It’s super cool!

• Nimueh

April 4, 2021 at 10:09 am

Oh yeah, ties to Broccilonde and Brittany!

Also, I think people miss understand that he’s Welsh cause he’s portraited as the King of Britain, and therefore people assume he’s English. No. He’s Welsh. Leave our hero alone :frowning:

• EternalHearts

April 12, 2021 at 3:46 pm

The course isn’t complete yet, but next January, one of the colleges I work for is premiering a brand new class “The Return of Arthur” https://signumuniversity.org/classes/future/

This is in addition to our existing Arthur classes which can be audited anytime (I am not trying to drum up business for my job, I just want to share the love of learning)

• Nimueh

April 21, 2021 at 6:48 pm

Been a bit of a month, so decided to treat myself to some new dice. These are Turquoise (my birth stone, so hoping they’re lucky) and Fluorite (which is a mix of aqua and purple, so ofc I love fluorite) dice, as well as a mixed set they sent me!! All three have gone straight into my dice box!!!

• josephinekelly

April 21, 2021 at 7:54 pm

Those fluorite ones! :heart_eyes: Wow.

• Nimueh

May 17, 2021 at 12:01 pm

More new dice! This time some gorgeous me/AG coloured fate/fudge dice for when I play Neithernor RPG!

• Tinker

May 17, 2021 at 4:12 pm

Those are lovely!!! Did you find someone online making fate dice???

• Nimueh

May 17, 2021 at 5:46 pm

Found a guy on twitter who does amazing dice, and he made these over the last month. Shame I can’t be in the game now :frowning:

• Nimueh

July 14, 2021 at 9:19 pm

So, I have a new toy! Meet my new lyre:

Found this cheap online, and as you might imagine it’s got a few problems. There’s a giant crack that almost runs all the way down the instrument, front and back. I asked to send it back for a refund, but the guy gave my money back and let me keep it, so… While it’s not ideal, it’s also just as a way to learn while I think about if I want to do this with my reenactment. Unfortunately I can’t actually use this instrument for that (metal strings and pegs), but it’s a start. Already able to slowly work out some plucked chords and a basic melody/drone, so this should be fun!

• Nimueh

July 20, 2021 at 8:52 pm

So, I feel the need to write something and as I don’t keep a journal or put my life anywhere else, l’m doing it here. Also, I kinda feel bad about not being so engaged in the forums these last few months and feel you guys need an explanation for that.

It’s been a very long 3 months for me. At the beginning of May I got what I thought would be my first stable job. Nice and easy, working in a cinema for 3 months with an 8 hour contract, maybe more hours if they needed extra staff, probably keeping me on afterwards. Well, with the first week we reopened from Covid, 2 weeks into being hired, I was already doing 16hours a week, and being given a lot of responsibility with very little training. Well, you can imagine the stress; in an environment like that, people are literally relying on you doing your job to prevent them from getting a potential fatal virus. I was struggling something rotten, and everyone was putting it down to me being out of practice from a year of isolation.

So the end of May rolls around, 2 weeks into full on job mode with 20+ hours a week. The stress about the job is starting to settle, only to be replaced by the fact that I should totally not be in serious pain from a shift. Everyone around me seemed sympathetic, but they all just kept telling me I’d “get used to it”. Well, I know me, and I wasn’t going to get used to that and finally got to speak to a GP. Turns out I have something called Platar Facitiis, which is in it’s simplest form tenis elbow in my feet. I’m given anti-inflammitory gel to help (which apparently has no effect on me to top all this off), and explain to my work that I need help. Yeah… that help is still not a thing at the end of July. I asked them if I could have a chair to sit in when the pain gets too much; nope. They even changed the description of one of the roles to specifically not allow for a chair! Instead, when I lean on the counters to take the weight off and do the exercises I’ve been told to do, I get told to “stand up strait” “don’t lean” “that’s not professional” “what would guests think if they saw you leaning?”. Yes, those are actual things my managers have said to me. Oh yeah, and to top it all, one of the people they hired months after me hurt her knee and they gave her a chair!

So yeah, that’s my last three months. I haven’t really had any energy for anything creative with all that. Lots of inconsistent shifts, managing pain in my free time to ensure that I don’t begin a shift in pain so I have the best chance of making it to the end of a shift… I’ve been trying to find that creative spark again, and I’m hoping that when my contract ends on the 1st I’ll slowly be able to build that energy back up again. Who knows, maybe I’ll be able to puzzle again! (No I won’t, lol, you guys have been far too quick on the unscrambling lately).

Sorry for the long post, but jeez, it feels like it’s been a year since April and it’s only July still.

• Tinker

July 20, 2021 at 9:38 pm

I’m sorry Nim…I’ve had Plantar Faciitis before and it’s really rough. It’s so dumb that your managers won’t let you sit – honestly, when I go places where customer-facing employees have chairs, it makes me think a bit better of the employers. Hopefully once your contract ends, you’ll have the time to recover properly!

• EternalHearts

July 21, 2021 at 3:29 pm

Oh no, I’m so sorry that your job is being unreasonable. I’ve been living with plantar faciiis for years now and have some tips if you are interested.

• Nimueh

July 21, 2021 at 11:14 pm

OMG, yeah, any tips you have would be amazing. Literally nothing the GP has given me is working. Hoping that when I’m done with the job I’ll have more time to rest up and it’ll begin to heal itself.

• Tinker

July 22, 2021 at 12:58 am

I’ve seen two doctors and one physical therapist for an assortment of foot pains…and honestly, the physical therapist was the only helpful one…the doctors’ advice was always to stop using my foot altogether (which i couldn’t do because I have a 20+ minute walk to campus from where I live), but the physical therapist approached it from a “how do we keep you doing what you need to be doing” perspective. I don’t know how physical therapists work into the health system you have, but if that’s at all an option, I’d recommend that!

Otherwise, it sounds like you’ve got a list of stretches to do, but do you wear shoe inserts of any kind? Also, maybe try putting a water bottle in the freezer and after you’re home from a shift, roll your arch over that.

• EternalHearts

July 22, 2021 at 2:49 am

Tinker is right, I find 3/4 inserts which are designed for plantar fasciitis are super helpful.

• CJB

Administrator
      July 22, 2021 at 3:05 pm

Just to add to options, advice, and support, I’m so sorry, I had a bout of plantar fasciitis that went on for about two years. I first went to a podiatrist who helped with supportive wraps but I finally got it under control by doing things like regular (painful but helpful) rolling with a lacrosse ball (or anything curved and hard, even canned goods) across the arch of my foot and heel, and I lived by an open toed compression sock I wore, especially at night, because mine seemed to be much worse in the morning when I’d been off it for hours.

I’m sorry that the job hasn’t turned out the way you’d hoped. Some people, and companies, are still so backward, and I hope you find some relief soon. :cjheart:

• Nimueh

August 14, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Random moment of the day: I just found out I have an ancestor with the surname Witch. I didn’t even know that was a surname, and now my brain is wondering how people would have reacted that it at the time (the ancestor is from the 1600s).

• Nimueh

September 13, 2021 at 11:30 pm

So excited. After a terrible Xmas/birthday this year with Covid forcing all my birthday plans to be cancelled and depression in the family stopping all Xmas plans, the second of my 2 birthday wishes is finally starting to take shape.

The first thing I asked for last year was an Xbox (so I could continue to enjoy playing games with my friends without issues, which had been a life saver since leaving Uni and during lockdown), which I planned to go halves on with my dad when they released in Nov, but only managed to get one in Apr.

The other one was a deal with my mother. I told her the only present I wanted from her was to help me clear out the spare room which she used to use as a sewing room so we could configure it to work as both an office/workroom/music room/studio for me and a sewing room for her. The plan was to help her thin down the 20+ years worth of fabric and projects she’d accumulated, throw out scraps too small to be used, and sell/give away anything neither of us was going to use ourselves. Well, that didn’t exactly pan out. About 2 months ago I got her to take a stab at a pile of fabric, but in the end she was keeping things that she’d been intending to work on since I was about 5 years old and basically not parting with any of it. In an attempt to compromise, my dad and I managed to move a lot of it to unused cupboards to be sorted later so we could at least see the desk. With enough space cleared and a new chair coming on Thrsday (hopefully), I’ll be able to move my laptop, monitor, and Xbox in with enough space to move everything aside if my mother did want to sew (though I’ve done like x1,000 more of that than her in the last 3 years). It’s still probably gonna take me another 2 years to get it to what I’m hoping, but it’s an amazing first step in the right direction (assuming she doesn’t try to fill the table with fabric again cause she’s already complaining she can’t use things that she hasn’t used in at least 5 years).

Evidence of the work so far:

• Nimueh

September 13, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Also, this room hasn’t been redocorated in my lifeimte (so 25+ years), and yes, that back wall was damp and had to be rerendered, but we just haven’t had the time nor money to get anyone to come and fill the interior walls, and then Covid happened and on top of all that. Eventually hoping to paint the bottom third a mid to dark blue and the top a light to mid blue.

• Nimueh

October 22, 2021 at 11:12 pm

I am making progress!!! I’ve managed to reclaim cupboard space at the cost of drowning in bags of fabric I’m trying to sell. But I now have a lot of desk space and shelf space!

Also gorgeous new tarot deck! It’s meant to pair with an AR app, but apparently my phone isn’t compatible with it. It was a Kickstarter, and I think someone from here told me about it? Would love to know if any of you got it working with the app!

• Nimueh

November 17, 2021 at 10:09 am

I finally finished my sewing project! It’s a completely hand-sewn early medieval linen dress. Hoping to dye it a pale green later next year, might even try traditional dying, but for now keeping it natural so I can use it as an underdress for a show in Feb (hopefully).

Also, managed to transfer my Herman stickers onto my new phone (early b’day present as my old one was dying) without ripping them!

• CJB

Administrator
      November 17, 2021 at 4:47 pm

OMG, I miss Kawaii Hermie!

• Nimueh

January 7, 2022 at 5:55 pm

Update: The event I was planning on wearing this for the first time has just been canceled. sigh

• Nimueh

January 6, 2022 at 6:05 pm

So, I just applied for a thing. Could use all the good vibes for this one, really praying that this could work out as I’ve looked up to the BBC National Orchestra of Wales (BBC NOW) ever since I started playing the flute. Since I’ll definitely never play with them, this would be amazing!

• BrokenVoid

January 6, 2022 at 10:21 pm

Best wishes and best of luck Nim, that sounds like an amazing gig!

• Nimueh

February 3, 2022 at 9:37 am

I just found out I’m not even getting an interview, just turned me down straight from application. I have all the qualifications, a lot of the “would like to have”s. Only thing I don’t have is experience, WHICH I CAN’T GET CAUSE NO ONE WILL GIVE ME A CHANCE. Urg…

• Nimueh

January 18, 2022 at 9:14 pm

So uh, big news; I just got my first ever music commission! A friend of mine and current DM was invited to be in an actual play DnD podcast by a group we’ve worked with before, and they asked me to do the intro music! So excited, and can’t wait to share it with you all when it’s done!!! Also, oh god, does this actually make me a composer now? I need new sample sets…

• Cynical

February 3, 2022 at 5:10 pm

That is so extremely exciting!!! Congrats!!!

• Nimueh

February 2, 2022 at 7:24 pm

I don’t know how many of you guys remember us talking back a few years ago about guild coats and how people that didn’t identify with a guild might have one with changing embroidery? Well, I had a dream the other day about a world with a similar idea. It was kinda like a spin on Wheel of Time, with only female magic users, but rather than them having shawls they all had a reversible cloak. One side was just plain, a brown, or a grey, or something neutral like that to blend in. The other side changed with the user’s magic, the fabric being like shot silk and gaining intricate patterns based on their magical strengths, with more embroidery showing a stronger magic user.

Also had a different dream with another really cool culture that needs to be (or probably already is) in a fantasy world in which the first born female of the royal family is taught a secret awesome magic based fighting style. She was doing really cool impossible dagger deflecting in my dream and it was very badass and I need to see it in a show or film.

In other words, I now have both the itch to make and developed this world with these cool magic things and to make a reversible cloak with cool “magic” embroidery.