Activity Forums The Reading Room The Monarch Papers Archive TMP Archive – Exploration Operation Gladitor: Offense Against The Storm

• Operation Gladitor: Offense Against The Storm

Posted by Augustus_Octavian on September 1, 2017 at 12:43 pm

This amazes me – a spell we cobbled together over the course of literally minutes was able to briefly stun the Storm. This thing is one of the most powerful magiqs I think we’ve encountered as of yet – and we were able to repel it for a moment. Imagine what we could do if we had time to prepare, and more than a handful of us were working in concert.

Mounties, I think we have a chance against this thing. Should we begin some preparations?

Augustus_Octavian replied 4 years, 10 months ago 16 Members · 159 Replies
  • 159 Replies
  • Rimor

September 1, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Operation Storm Wall?

• sdhockaday

September 1, 2017 at 2:13 pm

We could make a couple of spells based off out first one. And make then various strengths and/or and alarm?

• Sellalellen

September 1, 2017 at 2:30 pm

It would be nice to come up with some sort of charm connected to the new spell for the mounties to carry with them.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 1, 2017 at 2:49 pm

I was just thinking this over again – we’re already apparently pretty well shielded from the Storm by the Council of the 18 Gates.

Should I have titled this thread “Offense Against the Storm” instead – we can come up with a spell or ritual to repel the Storm when it crops up, for example if it tries to pull something again on Deeds and Cole?

• sdhockaday

September 1, 2017 at 3:02 pm

I like that name better, it feels like we are actually doing something to stop it, which we are. I say go ahead and change it!

• Viviane

September 1, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Agreed. I know we’ve been really cautious about using magic since we’ve found out that it’s so limited in this world. However, since Deeds and Cole don’t seem to have the same protection we do, I think having something on hand in case of future run-ins with the Mountie-eating maelstrom of evil is now a priority. Deeds can’t stay in Neithernor forever, after all, and if we can do something to help keep the two of them safe, we absolutely should.

So, it looks like the last spell created a sort of…beacon, I guess?..Anyway, what do we think did that? And how can we make it even more powerful?

• Augustus_Octavian

September 2, 2017 at 2:41 am

I think it was a type of Figuration magiq, since it grew out from snippets of unrelated story quotes brought together towards a single purpose. If that’s the case, then we don’t need to worry about using up any reserves of magiq.

• Goldthorn

September 2, 2017 at 5:56 am

Like an object to carry with you at all times?

• cjheighton1998

September 1, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Easy enough. Just add more people. The more we having working on this the stronger it should become.

• Sellalellen

September 2, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Yeah. An amulet or something.

• Rimor

September 2, 2017 at 2:27 pm

How about an enchanted vacuum cleaner?

• sdhockaday

September 2, 2017 at 2:52 pm

For home Storm removal use!

• Sellalellen

September 2, 2017 at 2:58 pm

In today’s episode of Why My Family Thinks I’ve Joined A Cult: Chanting over the vacuum cleaner!

• Goldthorn

September 2, 2017 at 9:23 pm

But really guys, we could all make little charms. I think that’s a good idea and it might make like an ongoing spell or something

• Augustus_Octavian

September 3, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I’m not sure we need defensive charms, given we’re all under the Council’s protection already.

We need to work out a ritual using Figuration Magiq that we can use to rebuke the Storm if it decides to move against anyone who isn’t under the Council’s guard, like Deeds and Cole.

• cjheighton1998

September 3, 2017 at 8:31 pm

So, some kimd of weapon, rather than a charm. We defend through saving our allies?

• Rimor

September 4, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Ive been thinking for a while and we know that the Storm takes away memories so maybe we can use our collective memories of everything we have done here, all the good times we’ve had and make a offensive/defensive spell to over power the storm. I’ll have to do a bit more thinking on this as its not 100% fully thought out, i just wanted to get it down before I forgot it.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 4, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I was thinking of telling a tale of heroism – like standing up to a school yard bully or some other allegory to what we are facing down in the Storm. Casting the spell would be like punching the bully in the nose – it may not get rid of the problem forever, but it will show the Storm we are far from a group of rare book enthusiasts these days. We could try to incorporate our most positive moments from the past year into the tale, either directly or through analogy.

Let’s make a list of the things or times we’re most proud of as Mountaineers. We can use them to craft the telling of the spell!

The moment I’m most proud of was when we rallied together right after finding fragment 12. We we’re dealt with some heavy losses, but we didn’t back down. We trusted the flow of magiq and have found our way through the thirteenth and fourteenth fragments together as a group.

• Viviane

September 5, 2017 at 12:48 pm

So we’re trying to work memories of Basecamp into the story of the spell? Oh man, I have a hard time choosing, and I haven’t been here that long!

A favorite moment for me is when the Chronocompass was first unlocked. After days of staring at Sullivan’s message and not being sure where to go next, seeing that thing spin was the giddiest I’ve felt in years (and we weren’t even sure what it would do!)

• Augustus_Octavian

September 6, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Any other thoughts or ideas? Anybody involved with the earlier Book of Briars keys want to contribute a memory?

• Crytter

September 8, 2017 at 7:05 am

I liked the beginning of real team-work with the King Rabbit videos – where it was just impossible for one person alone to stare at hours of monotone landscape. But divided in many small community tasks we managed to dig through the videos anyway. Furthermore it was the first time we faced an “enemy” with this nasty rabbit, which definitely united us.

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Okay, so we now know that the Council’s protection is almost gone. We could try a couple spells to make defenses. I recommend a warning system that we could tie in with Maqibot.

• Nimueh

September 8, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Early warning systems sound good, so do protection charms. The question is, where should we start? I don’t know how you guys did the warning thing for Cole, but maybe something similar we could tie into the bot as @Mr5yy suggests? Maybe we can combine some of the protection stuff we’ve seen/used in the past? I may need to leave this to the peopel that have done magiq before…

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 2:00 pm

We could base it off the Jordian spell, maybe try to fix the weaknesses it has.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 2:01 pm

We used magiq on the fly and made the Storm recoil while it was chasing down Cole – I think we can work with the same technique, amplify it and strengthen it to make something to repel the Storm if need be.

I really didn’t want to take it here, but you know… like a Patronus.

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 2:03 pm

We uses quotes right? Maybe, like a Patronus, we could make a spell that an individual recites a specific quote or quotes they use to temporarily stun the Storm while they escape. Or, like you said, amplify it.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 2:06 pm

We each recited quotes from our favorite books; we took disparate parts of different stories and united them. I think it was probably a form of figuration magiq that we performed. I think we can strengthen it by each contributing a part to a new unique story, based on our positive experiences and memories of Basecamp and magiq.

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 2:14 pm

So we could make a story and everyone adds a part to it? That’s could work.

Edit: I’ll post the link to a Forum defense Spell thread.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 2:16 pm

We can call the offensive team “Operation Gladitor” for the sword and the defensive team “Operation Aorthora” for armor.

• Viviane

September 8, 2017 at 2:09 pm

So, how can we make what we had stronger, or longer lasting? What if, instead of focusing a beacon, we weave some kind of shield wall? Like a magiqal electric fence; offense and defense at once? We all craft a story together, disparate spell weavers adding different elements? Maybe even add a physical component; literally write the elements on different papers and weave them together somehow?

Sorry, this is my inventor’s brain on panic and desperation.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 2:12 pm

I think we will probably need to do both; offense and defense, a sword and a shield. We’re against the clock right now, though, so we’ll have to probably just choose one to develop.

Unless, we want to break up into teams with one group working on and then casting the offense/sword spell when needed and another team working on and casting the defensive/shield spell ahead of time. That actually sounds like a pretty solid plan to me.

EDIT: Let’s keep this thread for an offensive spell. I’d love to roll up my sleeves and take a swing at the Storm, so I’ll be staying here. Let’s make a separate thread for the defensive shield spell. THis way the caster teams and components won’t get mixed up.

• Nimueh

September 8, 2017 at 2:14 pm

If we use different componets and sides to the spell, maybe they can be linked with guild and/or an individual person’s strengths. That way, everyone contributes and covers someone else potential weaknesses?

• Rimor

September 8, 2017 at 2:17 pm

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Who wants to join me for Operation Gladitor? We’ll probably need 6 casters per team. Here’s the outline for the offensive spell:

• Viviane

September 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm

I will also go wherever needed. I know I’m the one who jumped on the defense train to begin with, but Augustus’s line of thought makes sense; offense might be a more urgent need than defense, especially if the Storm goes after Marty, or Deeds and Cole again. If we can do any damage to the Storm, better that than let it wander off in tact. Crap. I’m worried and I don’t know what to do right now.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Do what you think is right. Both roles are going to be important, seeing that our protection from the Council is apparently fading.

• Viviane

September 8, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Ah, screw it. I’m in. If we really can use storytelling to punch the Storm in the face, I need to be part of that. Team Gladitor!

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 2:42 pm

You’d think the Ebbies would be all over this.

• Nimueh

September 8, 2017 at 2:20 pm

I’ll see who goes where and help fill the numbers on a team as needed.

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Operation Aorthora : Forum/Mountie Defensive Spell Here’s the link, renaming it though because I have the wrong one. :stuck_out_tongue:

• Nimueh

September 8, 2017 at 2:23 pm

@Mr5yy If you’re doign the defensive spell, you were right the first time with Aorthora. Gladitor is the sword, which would be offensive.

• sdhockaday

Oops, I did it again, my bad. Thanks for telling me!

Edit: @Rimor, do you want to change your topic to Gladiator or I can.

• Rimor

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

• Rimor

September 8, 2017 at 2:26 pm

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Ohh, brain fart. You’re right. I’ll get rid of my topic real fast and add to yours.

Edit: It appears I can’t I’ll just add the link to yours to it.

Nvm again.

• Nimueh

September 8, 2017 at 2:38 pm

I like the idea of an electric fence of some kind. Maybe we can weave a story of it bringing it to life, and then fuel it with the things Augustus suggested?

• Remus

September 8, 2017 at 2:46 pm

I’m definitely on Team Gladitor. The Further Fire within me is pushing me here. It wouldn’t be content with just mounting a defense in this situation. My schedule is still pretty full with all the school stuff I have to do today, but I’ll try to help as best I can, @Augustus_Octavian!

• Nimueh

September 8, 2017 at 2:47 pm

As a Bali, I’m pretty much all for punching something, but I can go nurture a sheild into life also. Meh, I’m just helping people throw ideas around atm.

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 2:49 pm

As with @Nimueh, I’m all about punching stuff in the face, but I’ll help throw ideas around, so count me in @Augustus_Octavian.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 2:51 pm

That makes four. We’ll need at least 6. We have Gossmere (me), Flinterforge (@Viviane), Weatherwatch (@Remus) and Balimora (@Mr5yy) represented. We still need a Thornmouth and an Ebenguard.

• Viviane

September 8, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Or someone with Polyguild inclinations willing to stand in? I think in a pinch 6 of anyone is better than not-6.

• mariahgarell

September 8, 2017 at 3:09 pm

I’m in. Sorry, I’ve been off-grid mostly for a couple of days working on something.

scoff

An Ebbie not participating in a group spell. Pshaww

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 3:11 pm

I was hoping our Ebbie would be you. Welcome to Team Gladitor. Alright group; let’s get spellcrafting!

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 3:18 pm

@Rimor, @Deyavi, @Viviane, @Mr5yy and @Remus – we need to tell a story of bravery in 6 parts. My original idea was an allegory of standing up to a school yard bully. Any other ideas? We’ll probably also need a physical focus for the spell. I was thinking about using an actual weapon as a focus. I don’t have any handy here at my office, but have a couple service-able items at home. That won’’t help though if the Council’s protection drops and the Storm comes for us before then.

• mariahgarell

September 8, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Well. I carry a pocket knife with me everywhere, and I’m almost sure that @Mr5yy does, as well. For those moments when you need a spell on the go.

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 3:23 pm

That awkward moment when you’re sharpening the pocket knife and the mention comes up.

• Viviane

September 8, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Of all the days to leave my pocket knife at home…

I like the allegory idea. How do we work in our moments from Basecamp?

Edit: perhaps each guild member could work in mention of one of the elements into their section, or have it represented in the story? That could be a stretch for some elements, though.

• Rimor

September 8, 2017 at 2:54 pm

Im a polyguild and id be willing to help where ever I can

• Nimueh

September 8, 2017 at 2:54 pm

Even better, you’re Thornmoth and that’s one of the guilds that the team is missing.

• Rimor

September 8, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Okay to the thornmouth part would be maybe figuring out if its a good idea to stand up to the bully or what the best stratergy would be?

Also I was just working on this “Light the forges, stoke the Mindflame, summon the Guilds with the call of the Common Drum” but I got stuck so if anyone wants to use this then go ahead.

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 3:32 pm

So we each make a short story about our time in Basecamp and try to work in an element? Works for me.

• Viviane

September 8, 2017 at 3:34 pm

I mean, ideally we are all telling part of a single story. Each of us writes the part of one child confronting the bully?

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Okay. How about a story about a Last Stand, like the Alamo, except where everyone doesn’t die.

• Remus

September 8, 2017 at 3:37 pm

I’m not sure on how we can integrate our memories from Basecamp, but I think the allegory of standing up to a bully might be a bit weak since the Storm is a bit more than a bully. As someone who was bullied growing up, I know that they can have extreme effects on one’s physical and mental state, but the Storm seems like it’s…bigger, I guess? Perhaps by portraying the Storm as a bully, we could lessen it’s power (think the “You hold no power over me” scene from The Labyrinth, though not quite as extreme). On the other hand, it might not be as effective. I think it is a workable scenario, and we should try it at least, but if we could brainstorm something closer to it, that might work better for our offense in the long-run.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 3:45 pm

What about telling the same bully story but 6 ways with 6 unique perspectives and making reference to each of our respective elements? For example, my positive memory I posted above was about us rallying after we were dealt a severe blow at the end of fragment 12. I could work that into my version of the story and add in something about buffetting winds representing Aether.

We should write our stories, and be prepared to read them aloud when the time comes and focus each of our energies on the focus weapon.

Alternatively, in the single-story model; my part could be rallying after being thrown to the ground by the bully. @Viviane’s “discovery” positive memory could be about realizing one’s own self-confidence, etc.

EDIT: Also @Remus, I love your notion of minimizing the Storm’s power through the child-bully allegory.

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Good idea! We can work a positive memory from Basecamp and our element into it at the same time!

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Okay. Let’s figure out Single Story with 6 parts or Multiple Stories:

• Single Story with 6 parts
          • Six Versions of the Same Story

voters

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Looks like we have a quorum. Let’s all work on our individual stories then reconvene.

• Rimor

September 8, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Im not really sure Thornmouths would fit into the bully story as we are usually intoverted and never fight back against the bully (well at least in my case)

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Well, you’re going to have to try, @Rimor. What about a tale of out-smarting a bully? That’s a Thormouth-y sort of take on it!

• Rimor

September 8, 2017 at 3:51 pm

I’ll try my best

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Good! I believe in you. We all do.

• Rimor

September 8, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Wait if its the same story with 6 different perspectives then we need a frame to work with or we are just gonnahave six wildly different stories

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 4:22 pm

If @Augustus_Octavian writes his first, then we can all base ours off of that.

• Rimor

September 8, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Sounds like a good idea, then we can just change it to fit each guild

• Ginger

September 8, 2017 at 5:17 pm

raises hand

I can help, I just only caught up on the forums now.

Should I move over to team defence even though I think an offensive spell would be better?

• Nimueh

September 8, 2017 at 5:21 pm

• Nimueh

September 8, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Up to you Ginger, I was bouncing back and forward for a bit. Though we don’t have an Ebbie over there yet, so if you do want to join it’s cool. If you want to take a shot at the Storm though, feel free :slight_smile:

• Ginger

September 8, 2017 at 5:25 pm

I wanna do both, but I don’t know. There’s an Ebbie on each side. Although the Storm deserves a good whack, there’s things we care about that also need protecting?

Torn.

• grimangel53

September 8, 2017 at 6:30 pm

ginger, we do both. hold the line and attack.

its our balance.

And as for Gladitor, I just got caught up.

For a basecamp memory, I submit: Assessment 2.

We stared at the combinations, the pyramid, and the rest of the clues for hours, days even. We worked to try and get everything to work, but it took a true leap of faith to finally get it all figured out.

for an individual story, I can also work something out if you’ll have me

(gods im going to be tired after all the spell work)

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 6:34 pm

@grimangel53 – you’re doing so much for the defensive spell. Don’t spread yourself too thin. We have members from each guild along with plenty of others willing to help.

• grimangel53

September 8, 2017 at 7:00 pm

I haven’t gotten to do much, except start mini campfires, since like…assessment 2. I want to be as helpful as i can. And good balance of offense and defense can be invaluable. Plus, if I’m holding the Shield, you better bet I’ve got a Spear and Sword waiting.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Glad to have you on Team Gladitor, Grim.

• Nimueh

September 8, 2017 at 5:26 pm

You can do both Ginger :smiley: After all, the best defence is a good offense :wink:

• Sellalellen

September 8, 2017 at 5:51 pm

I can do whichever I’m needed for

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Has it always been a race to get a spell done first? I thought new we’re doing both spells as a precaution. The defensive spell won’t be on except when we need it, so the offensive spells would be used to stall the Storm so that we can turn it on. And also for other times when we need to give the Storm a good whack.

• cristina_lodico

September 8, 2017 at 7:31 pm

I have to agree with this one, we need a good Offensive for once…we shouldn’t always react and not act… but that’s just how I feel personally. In the end what everyone decides we’re in this together as a family :blue_heart:

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Here’s my story: Jenna – Google Docs

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Dang, good story, can’t promise one that long though.

• grimangel53

September 8, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Speaking of Sword and Spear.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Thanks for the sigils @grimangel53!

@Mr5yy, do you think (and do others) think I should shorten the story some, so that it’s quicker to recite in a pinch? I haven’t timed myself speaking it out loud or anything.

• sdhockaday

September 8, 2017 at 9:03 pm

If you want to. If we need read it fast, which we undoubtedly will, either read the section that’s most and important and had the biggest maqic response or maybe paraphrase the story.

• Viviane

September 8, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Sorry, work again. They don’t seem to understand that Magiq and people’s well-being is at stake, here. sigh

I think your story is excellent, Augustus. I’m trying to decide whether cutting it is the right choice, though. Even a story that takes less than a minute to read aloud might be long if we’re trying to do damage quickly.

Similar to 5’s suggestion, why don’t we each choose a key phrase from our component story perspective, however long or short, and use that as the recitation when we cast the spell? Either that, or we can use some kind of unifying spell words to “gather the wool” so to speak, while focusing on our story components. That way the spell we’re actually casting in the moment is focused on weaving our individual components together, for maximum effect?

• Augustus_Octavian

September 8, 2017 at 11:34 pm

I really like the key phrases suggestion. Let’s plan around that!

• Rimor

September 8, 2017 at 11:35 pm

Okay that sounds like a great plan!

• Tinker

September 8, 2017 at 11:27 pm

This might be a dumb question, but if each person recorded themselves saying their story and kept it saved, would the spell work if they were all simultaneously uploaded somewhere or something? So then it can be prepared in advance?

• Remus

September 9, 2017 at 1:32 am

I’m caught up again, and I think that your story is great, Augo! I’m not sure how to follow up to your story, though. Do we write about another bully being overcome, or do we rewrite the scenario in a way that reflects our element. Also, should we write the stories around a key phrase, or choose one…

Sorry for asking so many questions, but they seem like things we should keep in mind…

• Augustus_Octavian

September 9, 2017 at 1:35 am

I would say re-write the story featuring a different element and any other unique features you want to add. Mine was pretty mundane, but feel free to make it as fantastical as you’d want!

• Viviane

September 9, 2017 at 1:36 am

Yeah, I’m afraid that writing the same scenario over again with too many of the same details might be redundant. I feel like it will help the spell’s strength if each of us contributes something as unique as possible, while still staying within the same basic event.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 9, 2017 at 4:53 pm

This is a strange place for me. On the outside, I’m a surburban dad, literally taking a break from mowing my lawn right now. On the inside, I’m going through my story, preparing my soul and mind to channel magiq to challenge an entity that’s been terrorizing folks like us for probably centuries. I can’t even tell anybody but you guys about it out of fear of sounding absolutely insane.

• mariahgarell

September 9, 2017 at 5:50 pm

@Ginger, @Smurfette, @grimangel53, do we want to split 2 and 2 between the offensive and defensive operations, so we can collaborate and make sure we have a backup for each in case one of us is unreachable in the event of an emergency?

• sdhockaday

September 9, 2017 at 5:54 pm

I just realized when you posted this I was working on both. :rofl: Wow, I was so involved that I didn’t notice. You do have a good idea, making sure we have back-ups.

• mariahgarell

September 9, 2017 at 5:58 pm

My concern is manning, but also spell sickness. I don’t want anyone to strain themselves if we can help it.

We are better than we were. But half that is knowing how to manage the problem before it becomes one!

• sdhockaday

September 9, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Ya, I agree. It all depends on who goes first and when the second one happens. I can do both if the second spell is roughly 29 hours after the first. Both of these spells will require a massive amount of maqic from the casters.

• grimangel53

September 9, 2017 at 6:12 pm

I’m down to help supply energy on the Shield. I’m gonna be ready to fight with my own armaments, but my base energy is going to be about holding the shield up.

• mariahgarell

September 9, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Perfect. I don’t want anyone spreading themselves too thin. The goal is to free you up to focus on your primary task… but be prepared.

• grimangel53

September 9, 2017 at 7:05 pm

i cant help via the online chat bits, but i can at least make things, and stand as a lightning rod if need be

• Augustus_Octavian

September 9, 2017 at 7:18 pm

We’ve already seen what happens when people make themselves into lightning rods, @grimangel53. We won’t let you suffer that same fate.

• mariahgarell

September 9, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Aye. The goal is for all of us to make it intact.

• grimangel53

September 9, 2017 at 8:53 pm

i see that, and know it. but we must be ready to take hits when it’s needed.

• mariahgarell

September 9, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Oh, I agree. I believe it’s the nature of most of us here coughespeciallyEbenguardcough to be willing to sacrifice for each other.

• grimangel53

September 9, 2017 at 8:56 pm

its so true it hurts.

like really.

It is a thing.

• Rimor

September 9, 2017 at 8:56 pm

You’ll be as useful as a chocolate fireguard if you throw yourself at the storm! :joy:

• Augustus_Octavian

September 10, 2017 at 8:22 am

Random middle of the night flash of inspiration:

Rather thank weapon, when the time comes we should each draw a quick Gladitor symbol onto the back of our dominant hands and speak our key phrases into the hand clenched into a fist.

• Viviane

September 10, 2017 at 6:53 pm

I should have my story up, too. Sorry for going AWOL.

Back of our dominant hand means we’re drawing the symbol with our weaker hand, correct? Could you describe the magiqal intention there a little more? I’m trying to gauge the effectiveness of having a neatly-drawn symbol on the non-dominant hand versus a messier one on the dominant hand.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 10, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Which hand do you feel more confident throwing a punch with?

• Remus

September 10, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Okay, I’m going to try and finish up my story for this, but I wanted to ask: Augo, do you have a key phrase for your story?

Also, I think drawing the Gladitor symbol on the back of our hands (dominant or otherwise) would be a pretty good idea…

• Augustus_Octavian

September 10, 2017 at 5:32 pm

I did chose a key phrases: “Give. Me. Back. That. Book!

• sdhockaday

September 10, 2017 at 5:35 pm

I’ll have my short story up by the end of the as well.

• Rimor

September 10, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Best phrase ever!

• Remus

September 11, 2017 at 5:39 am

Okay, I’ve got my story finished, and you can find it here. Feel free to leave comments here, I’ll try to get to them after I sleep since I feel pretty drained right now.

Key Phrase: “‘Yep, it’s my light. And if anyone tries to do anything to block it out, well, I guess I know I can deal with them now.’” OR “He fought against them, kicking, screaming, crying and shouting, as the fire within him grew even brighter and hotter.” (Please help me pick, I think they both have promise, but I’m not sure which one is best).

• Augustus_Octavian

September 11, 2017 at 10:27 am

Great work, @Remus! I think either of the phrases would work really well.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 12, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Hey Team Gladitor – let’s get our spell components out there as soon as we can! We need to be prepared for when the storm threatens us or our friends, which could be literally at any time.

• sdhockaday

September 12, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Ok. I had a bit of trouble yesterday, but my short will be up today.

• Rimor

September 12, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Sorry for the delay, I have it done asap!

• mariahgarell

September 12, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Here we go:

Hannah (Operation Gladitor).docx (16.0 KB)

• cjheighton1998

September 12, 2017 at 8:18 pm

What if we did a sort of rank setup. Some of us shield those with swords, roman style? That way we could have people focused entirely on super powered shields and super powerful weapons to attack with on others.

• grimangel53

September 12, 2017 at 8:31 pm

its been brought up. personally i would like to do both, but the energy required is a bit…powerful.

• mariahgarell

September 12, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Grim, you’re doing the right thing focusing on defense. You’re a strong sigil-crafter, a skill I lack. Don’t feel bad about not being superhuman, you’re already doing so much.

• grimangel53

September 12, 2017 at 10:52 pm

still coughing up what looks like smoke

I’ll Hold the Line. Don’t you worry about that. now to get rid of the smoke so i can focus.

• cjheighton1998

September 12, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Fair enough.

• sdhockaday

September 12, 2017 at 9:32 pm

I will say, alongside Grim, I will be absolutely fried out from the Defensive spell. Do you still want me to write the story?

• mariahgarell

September 12, 2017 at 9:34 pm

It’s preferable that another Balimoran do it if you’re already tapped for the shield spell. But if we can’t find anyone, may not be a choice.

@Robert, @Nimueh, could either of you take up the mantle for this one?

• sdhockaday

September 12, 2017 at 10:01 pm

I can do it, bit I’ll be down and out for awhile.

• Robert

September 12, 2017 at 10:55 pm

If you have great need, yes. I’ll be honest I really haven’t been able to keep up with all the great stuff you guys are crafting so I’m not really up to speed.

• Nimueh

September 13, 2017 at 7:06 am

I wasn’t really following the progress here as I was focusing on helping with the defensive sigils. All caught up now though. I can get a story to you guys, maybe, but I’m not sure if I’ll be aorund when you guys cast the spell (damn timezones). @Cj_Heighton could also stand in as our Bali.

• cjheighton1998

September 13, 2017 at 7:35 am

W-woahwoahwoah. Wait, me? But i dont have a story to tell or anything :0

• Nimueh

September 13, 2017 at 11:17 am

Try it, see what you come up with, I’m sure you’ll do great :smiley:

• cjheighton1998

September 13, 2017 at 6:49 pm

What kind of story should i write? Something for striking back? A story of revenge?

• Augustus_Octavian

September 13, 2017 at 7:07 pm

It’s a story of a child facing down a bully – it can be written in what ever style you like, and should include some aspect of your guild’s element; being a Balimoran, your guild’s element is “Wild.” You can select a key phrase from the story to use at the actual casting of the spell – writing the story will lay the groundwork and power of your component of the spell.

So far we have a Gossmere story from me, an Ebenguard story from @Deyavi, a Weatherwatch story from @Remus. We’re waiting for @Rimor to share a Thornmouth story a Flinterforge story from @Viviane and we need a Balimoran on the team.

• cjheighton1998

September 13, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Okay. Ill write it. No guarantees ill be any major good but ill give it a shot

• Remus

September 14, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Okay, so I figured I should get a running list of all the stories that we have so far so we know what we still need to pull of this spell to attack the storm. So, here goes the current list of stories:

And yeah, we’re just waiting on the Flinterforge and Thornmouth stories and we should be good to go. Past the stories, though what do we plan to do here? I know Operation Aorthora is planning on having a stream this evening to activate their spell, but I just wanted to check on what our plan was for after we have all the stories. We’ve discussed reciting a key phrase from our stories, drawing the Gladitor constellation on our dominant hand, and maybe a couple of other ideas, but I just wanted to bring this up again so that we have a plan ready to go when the time comes.

• cjheighton1998

September 14, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Not too sure, i say we stream it at the very least, easier that way, but other than that… no clue. Im just in it for the ride i guess

• Augustus_Octavian

September 14, 2017 at 7:18 pm

We’ll have to cast it on short notice; I don’t know if we would be able to set up a stream or Hangout in the time it would take the Storm to strike. It as fairly “fast and furious” when it went for Cole. We’ll probably just have to draw the Gladitor Constellation and say our key phrase as quickly as possible to release the energies we’re building with our component stories.

• Viviane

September 15, 2017 at 5:26 am

Sorry for the delay. Work has had me a bit tapped out on righteous rage energy, but I think tonight I summoned up enough to add a Flinterforge piece to the spell.

Now to practice my skills in temporary constellation tattooing.

• sdhockaday

September 18, 2017 at 2:35 am

Okay, so I’m bringing this back up, just to see if anyone wants to work on it while we wait, just to have it as for a “Halp” moment.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 18, 2017 at 10:37 am

We’re nearly there. We’re just waiting for @Rimor’s Thornmouth component.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 19, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Thanks to all the members of Team Gladitor (@Remus, @Deyavi, @Viviane, @Cj_Heighton and @Rimor) for putting this all together. I know that many of us have drawn on our own, sometimes painful, experiences to put together these stories, but remember, “imagination is nothing more than memory, transposed.

As we approach the Day of Change, we may not need to use the energies we’ve gathered to strike at the Storm, but I’ve volunteered us to use our power to help charge the Lantern of Low Hallow spell. So, what I’ll ask everyone one to do is two-fold:

1. We never know if the storm may strike between now and Saturday, so please have a key phrase from your story chosen that we can recite quickly if need be. A quick drawing of the Gladitor constellation should be done on your dominant hand with the recitation of the key phrase to symbolize throwing a punch.
    2. If Saturday comes and we haven’t expended the spell, I would propose that we each pick a second key phrase from each story to recite during the casting of the Lantern of Low Hallow to empower it, with the Gladitor constellation drawn on our non-dominant hands to symbolize extending a hand to help. We can do this as the Phase 2 folks are readying their preparations for casting the spell.

Please post both of your key phrases on this thread:

Striking/Dominant Hand Phrase: “Give. Me. Back. That. Book!”

Helping/Non-Dominant Hand Phrase: “The wind blew autumn leaves silently down on the school yard, as the double doors creaked closed behind them.”

Here’s the Gladitor figure as a reminder:

b388c35bfc1b441e21a00d9de1a31cfe8f6aefb4

• mariahgarell

September 19, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Striking Hand Phrase: She would not be their victim anymore. Not her. Not anyone else.

Helping Hand Phrase: You have the right to defend yourself. Sometimes it’s the only way to make them stop.

• cjheighton1998

September 19, 2017 at 9:10 pm

“I would hear their whispers behind my back”

And

“Middleschool is a time to rage, highschool is a time to grow up”

I guess.

• Remus

September 20, 2017 at 2:10 am

Striking Hand Phrase: “He fought against them, kicking, screaming, crying and shouting, as the fire within him grew even brighter and hotter.”

Helping Hand Phrase: “‘Yep, it’s my light. And if anyone tries to do anything to block it out, well, I guess I know I can deal with them now.’”

• Viviane

September 20, 2017 at 2:52 am

Striking hand phrase: “Get. Away. From. Me.”

Helping hand phrase: “…more like that stone–unabashed and shining and unmoveable, bursting with pride and potential that no one could take away.”

• Rimor

September 22, 2017 at 9:37 pm

James.docx (15.7 KB)

Okay so first I’m extreamly sorry this is so late and second the two quotes are “LEAVE MY BROTHER ALONE!” and “It seems that the pen is mightier than the sword”. Im not very good at writing so I hope this is alright.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 22, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Good work, friend! Better late and never, and just in time to complete our circle of six and lend our power over to Team Lantern tomorrow. Aether knows they’ll need it.

• Augustus_Octavian

September 23, 2017 at 6:49 pm

@Remus, @Deyavi, @Viviane, @Cj_Heighton, and @Rimor

A little over an hour until the Lantern of Low Hallow – be ready by 3:30 PM Eastern to post a picture of the Gladitor constellation on your non-dominant hand, your selected helping phrase and the phrase “My stars to make the Lantern shinehere. Please also recite the phrases out loud when doing so.