Activity Forums Community Community Projects The (Basically Official) Briarverse Cookbook!

• The (Basically Official) Briarverse Cookbook!

Posted by Augustus_Octavian on November 17, 2020 at 9:13 pm

With official and unofficial cookbooks popping up all over the place for different fandoms, I thought it would be really neat for our community to compile and share some Briarverse-inspired recipes! Feel free to post a recipe you like that reminds you of a character or element from the Briarverse, or that even just gives you Briar-vibes!

Here are a couple Briar Grandma recipes to kick it off:

Rasia’s Lionhearted Sarmale (Romanian Cabbage Rolls)

Traditionally served at holidays and celebrations, Rasia sent along a vegetarian version of her cabbage rolls (famous among the whole village) to the Day of Change harvest celebration at Lion’s Heart!

• 1 jar “sour cabbage”/whole sauerkraut leaves
    • 2 white onions, chopped
    • 2 carrots, diced
    • 1.5 cups cooked brown rice
    • 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
    • 1 cup of chopped walnuts
    • 1 tbs paprika
    • 1 16 oz. can of tomato sauce
    • Juice of 1/2 lemon
    • 4 tbs olive oil, divided
    • salt and pepper to taste

1. Drain and rinse the cabbage leaves. In a flat-bottom skillet, sautee onions and carrots until translucent. Stir in brown rice and tomato paste and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until onions are golden. Stir in walnuts and season with paprika, salt and pepper.

2. Lay out the cabbage leaves and fill each with 1-2 tbs of filling. Fold “burrito-style” into oblong rolls. Place back into the pan with tomato sauce and lemon juice; simmer for 25 minutes. Serve hot!

Carolyn Brighton’s Honey Muffins

Nothing beats warm honey muffins on a cool fall morning, made with honey from bees right outside your door! Especially the magiqal secret-whispering kind! (Note: eating these muffins may cause gustatory hallucinations of the Book of the Wild).

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 3 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 large egg, room temperature
    • 1 cup 2% milk
    • 1/4 cup butter, melted
    • 1/4 cup honey

1. Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine egg, milk, butter and honey. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
    2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
    Sellalellen replied 1 year, 8 months ago 13 Members · 35 Replies
  • 35 Replies
  • Augustus_Octavian

November 18, 2020 at 12:49 pm

Excited to see what folks come up with!

• Sapphire

November 18, 2020 at 1:36 pm

I think I have the ingredients in to try the honey cakes.

I’m running low on snacks, so this is an epic plan for my evening :smiley:

• Ashburn

November 18, 2020 at 4:52 pm

There isn’t really a recipe for it necessarily, but one of the first things that came to mind was Aether’s Glorified Meat Calculator Pizza. :deirdrexd:

There could be two takes on this recipe:

1. All of the meats and then some, as the name would suggest, or
    2. Mushroom and onion

It is important to “accidentally” eat the whole darn thing. :simon:

• grace-nessen

November 18, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Ok these muffins are delicious!! I might bake them a minute or so less next time, but otherwise I’m completely taken with them! So comforting and homey. (And they go great with some masala chai)

• Sapphire

November 22, 2020 at 11:33 am

Oh man these smell soo good!

• Sapphire

November 22, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Just shared the recipe to my mum and realised I only put in half the required milk.

Amazingly they aren’t particularly dry, but with full amount of milk these would be more than epic!

Another recipe for the frequent baking list :smiley:

• Augustus_Octavian

November 30, 2020 at 6:35 pm

Lion’s Heart Roasted Harvest Veg

Eaves and crew’s contribution to the Day of Change feast were primarily made up of things they were able to grow themselves on the castle grounds (with and without the interference of the magical castle-puppy itself). Their first year’s offerings included this platter of root vegetables, roasted with fragrant local herbs in olive oil. It’s meant to feed a whole coven of hungry magimystics, but feel free to scale back as you see fit to serve as a main or side for two.

• 4 medium beets, peeled and cubed
    • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    • 2 large turnips, peeled and cubed
    • 4 parsnips, peeled and… cut into coins! (you thought I was going to say “cubed,” didn’t you?)
    • 4 tbs olive oil
    • 8 sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed and chopped finely
    • 1/4 cup packed sage leaves, chopped finely
    • 2 tbs chopped flat leaf parsley
    • salt and black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400° F/205°C. Toss vegetables, rosemary, sage, oil and seasonings in a large mixing bowl to coat. Spread out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until the parts contacting the pan are carmelized and lift off the pan easily. Turn over and roast an additional 5-10 minutes, until fork-tender. Remove to a platter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

• Augustus_Octavian

December 2, 2020 at 3:53 pm

This recipe is super flexible – feel free to sub-in any other root vegetables or herbs you like. We had it for dinner the other night (with pan-roasted pork chops) and added in quartered, peeled yellow onions. If you use onions, just make sure not to cut off the bottom where the roots grow out of (trim the roots, though) and slice through this part to keep the quarters together while you’re tossing them in oil and spreading them out on the pan. They’re easier to peel after they’re halved or quartered, too!

• Augustus_Octavian

December 2, 2020 at 4:19 pm

The Time Donut

Baking these airy, frosted cake donuts cuts WAY down on the time that would be needed for rising and frying in batches, leaving more for time free crafting papergoods, crafting dream content, communicating with friends living in the late 1990’s, or just sitting and watching the Chronocompass spin.

Note: as these are baked, and not fried, a standard donut pan (like this one) is necessary.

• 2 tablespoons butter
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
    • 1 large egg
    • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
    • 1 cup plus and additional 1-2 tbs milk
    • 1 cup powdered sugar
    • red food coloring
    • rainbow sprinkles

1. Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C. Lightly grease a donut pan.
    2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, white and brown until smooth, using a hand mixer or whisk.
    3. Add the egg, beating to combine.
    4. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon salt, and vanilla.
    5. Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with 1 cup of milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Make sure everything is thoroughly combined into a thick batter.
    6. Spoon the batter into the lightly greased donut pan, filling the wells to about 1/4″ shy of the rim.
    7. Bake the donuts for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and wait about 5 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack.
    8. While the donuts are baking/cooling, mix the remaining tablespoon of milk with the powdered sugar, adding the additional milk if necessary to make a creamy frosting. Add in a drop or two of red food coloring.
    9. When the donuts are cool to the touch, frost with pink frosting and sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles.

Makes 6. Adapted from King Arthur Flour

• CJB

Administrator
    December 2, 2020 at 4:51 pm

This is probably my favorite thing ever. And I want to eat it all. I have been trying to get Matty (my husband) to co-write a cookbook with me for YEARS where the recipes would be paired with fictional myths/origins about them.

He says no. :slight_smile: I think he sees enough of me without having to also work with me.

PLEASE KEEP DOING WHAT YOU’RE DOING AND IGNORE MY INTERRUPTION.

• EternalHearts

December 2, 2020 at 5:16 pm

Forget him; co-write the book with US (not that you don’t spend enough time with us…)

• Augustus_Octavian

December 2, 2020 at 6:12 pm

This is a GREAT idea. What about this? @CJB drops some lore, and then someone in the community comes up with a recipe to match it! Then, if folks have their own ideas in between, they can post them with their own thoughts/ideas in between “assignments.”

• Sellalellen

December 3, 2020 at 6:25 pm

Alistair’s Leftover Chinese Breakfast

When Alistair has to wake up early to chase down rare books, she makes these. Rice is always in abundance in the Chinese restaurant below her apartment, and these rice “pancakes” are fast, convenient, and filling enough that she can keep going even when sneaking into estate sales forces her to skip lunch.

These work best with fried or day-old rice but freshly made is fine too.

This recipe makes about 2-3 pancakes but can be easily scaled up as needed.

1 cup of yesterday’s rice

1 egg

1tbsp flour

Salt and pepper to taste

Combine rice and egg, mix thoroughly. Add flour and seasonings to taste. Place approx. 1/2 cup rice mixture in a pan on the stove, and form into patty 1/2 an inch thick.

Fry on medium heat for 3 minutes or until bottom is golden brown, flip and fry for another 3 minutes to achieve the same look on both sides.

Serve with ketchup or soy sauce.

Can store for 2 days in the fridge.

• EternalHearts

December 3, 2020 at 8:34 pm

Okay, there needs to be some way to collect these in an easy-to-find-and-navigate way: Pinterest, Trello, Google Docs, some other magiq of the interwebs that I’m not aware of yet?

• Catherine

December 9, 2020 at 4:09 pm

Ask and you shall receive! I’ll keep this updated as new recipes come in. Let me know if anyone has any trouble with access, although it should be viewable to anyone with the link:

The (Unofficial) Briarverse Cookbook

• Sellalellen

December 4, 2020 at 4:05 pm

Auntie Monica’s Chocolate fudge

This rich chocolate fudge is deceptively simple, using only 3 ingredients, melted in the microwave. The fudge also travels well, making it the perfect gift to send to your niece as she gets ready to move to New York.

3 cups mini marshmallows

2 cups chocolate chips (any kind)

1 can sweetened condensed milk

Line a 9×9 or 9×13 pan in parchment paper before you start cooking. There will not be time later.

Put the chocolate and marshmallows in a large bowl and microwave until melted.

I recommend microwaving for 1 minute, mixing it, then microwaving again until combined. It needs constant supervision at this point because the marshmallows will try to puff up and may overflow.

Mixture should be brown and sticky and not have any white streaks. It will likely stick to the spoon and have a stringy looking texture.

Add the entire can of milk and continue to alternate microwaving and mixing until it is smooth with no lumps.

Pour into pan right away. (if you want to sprinkle chopped nuts or crushed candy canes over the top now is the time) and let it set on the counter overnight.

Carefully peel back the parchment paper and cut into bite size squares. The edges may be slightly sticky but letting them sit on the counter a few more hours after being cut should fix that.

If you wish to send fudge in the mail or pack it into a suitcase, I recommend a flat box lined with parchment paper. Do not stack the fudge. One layer only is ideal in case the package gets squished. A simple string or ribbon around the box should help keep it closed and serve as decoration.

Monica also slipped a little cash between the layers of parchment paper once to help Deirdre ship her belongings to America.

• Lexington

December 4, 2020 at 4:25 pm

My grandmother sent me chocolate chip cookies a couple of times in college that she had packed in popcorn. No butter or salt, just plain popcorn.

Most of the cookies survived and the packing material was also delicious. (Yes I ate the packing too. I’m not an animal.)

• Augustus_Octavian

December 4, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Little known fact: biodegradable packing peanuts are made of cellulose (as is popcorn, in the form of polymerized amylose and amylopectin) and are completely edible. They’re essentially “cheese puffs” but without the powdered cheese applied.

• EternalHearts

December 4, 2020 at 4:31 pm

My son thinks those cellulose peanut are the most amazing thing! He has a whole pile from a couple of packages we recently recieved and gets to bring one into the bathtub to watch dissolve at the end of bathtime.

• Alligatoramberlee

December 4, 2020 at 4:49 pm

So what I’m hearing is I have some culinary experimenting to do

• Augustus_Octavian

December 9, 2020 at 3:35 pm

The Cagliostro’s Braised Shortrib

What’s one day to an immortal? A fleeting moment, a passing thought? When there are no number to your days, spending an entire one on a single recipe is nothing. The work of cooking itself, then, becomes a luxury, connecting you back to the humanity you once cherished.

This is a lovely meal to start in the morning and have at night on a cold winter’s day. It can be served on its own with sides, or with pasta. Gnocchi and pappardelle are favorites.

• 3 lbs bone-in beef shortrib (about 4 ribs)
    • One bottle bold Italian red wine (e.g. Sangiovese, Montepulcino d’Abbruzzo, or Nebbiolo)
    • Beef stock (at least one quart)
    • Two yellow onions, quartered
    • Four cloves of garlic, sliced
    • Three or four sprigs of rosemary
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 2 tablespoons clarified butter
    • 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
    • 1/4 cup heavy cream (light, even half&half would do).
    • Kosher salt and black pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 250° F/120°C. Season each rib on all six sides (including the bone side) with salt and black pepper. Heat olive oil and clarified butter in a large Dutch oven (cast iron preferred, but not required) over medium-high heat. Once the oil and butter are shimmering but not yet smoking, add in the seasoned shortribs and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate, then add onions and garlic to the fat. Heat until translucent, then add the shortrib back into the Dutch oven. Add in the wine and enough beef stock to cover. Add in the rosemary, cover and move to the oven. Leave for a minimum of 10 hours.

Remove from the oven, uncover and discard rosemary stems. Remove the ribs and onions to a plate, being careful not to let them fall apart. Heat the braising liquid back on the stovetop on high, stirring frequently until reduced down to 1/4th its original volume and coating a wooden spoon. Add in the unsalted butter and cream, stir until butter is melted.

Serve by ladling the sauce over the rib, or removing the meat from the bones and adding meat and onions along with pasta directly into the braising liquid sauce.

Serves 2-4 (usually 1 person per rib).

• CJB

Administrator
    December 9, 2020 at 4:35 pm

I vote to rename it The (Basically Official) Briarverse Cookbook.

• CJB

Administrator
      December 9, 2020 at 4:36 pm

I had randomly not checked this topic for a few days and am sitting here picking my jaw up off the floor. The effort, the narrative coherence, the pictures… :woman_cook: :kiss:

• CJB

Administrator
    December 9, 2020 at 4:54 pm

Might I suggest a variation of this for “Deirdre’s Upside-Down Tart”? The one she smashed when being pursued by King Rabbit?

• Augustus_Octavian

December 9, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Funny you should mention it – 2/3 Auglets only eat egg whites, so we have a few egg yolks in the fridge that I was eyeing for zabaglione.

• Ginger

December 9, 2020 at 11:23 pm

Some remember magiq, some don’t. Arguments persist over Bernstain or Bernstein. Which Book are we in? Time is a fickle thing. If you think about it too much you’ll end up hurting your brain, so why not take a break for a tasty treat?

A Crinkle in Timelines: Ginger Crinkle Cookies

Note for those planning to make these: they work best when working with cold dough so there may be longer prep time than some other cookies (probably about 40 minutes total prep) as you will have to wait while the dough is in the freezer. Also the recipe I have written out irl is barebones so get ready for lots of over explanation of tricks I’ve figured out.

INGREDIENTS:

• 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
    • 3/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
    • 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
    • 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
    • 1 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
    • 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
    • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
    • 12 Tablespoons (~ 1 1/2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, softened, but still cool. (If using from sticks I recommend cutting into about 1/2 inch cubes)
    • 3/4 Cup Molasses
    • 2 Tablespoons Milk

For Coating the Cookies:

• 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
    • 1/2 Cup Confectioners’ Sugar (Merely a guideline, really. Use as much as you need to coat the cookies to your satisfaction.)

Helpful tools:

Electric hand or stand mixer, cookie scoop, baking sheets, cooling racks, plus other baking essentials.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. With an electric mixer stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt at low speed until combined. Stop the mixer and add the butter pieces. Mix at medium-low speed until the mixture is ‘sandy’ (about a minute and half.) Reduce the speed to low and, with the mixer running, gradually add the molasses and milk. Mix until the dough is evenly moistened. Increase the speed to medium and mix until thoroughly combined, (about 10 seconds.)

2. Scrape the dough onto a clean work surface; divide in in half. Working with one portion at a time, shape the dough into two round disks. Cover them in plastic wrap and freeze until firm, 20 to 30 minutes. Alternatively, refrigerate the dough two hours or overnight. If desired you can pre make the dough and freeze it for up to a month, just be sure to defrost in the fridge so it is still cold when you work with it.

3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

4. Take the cookie dough out of the fridge/freezer and scoop about a heaping tablespoon full of dough. (Alternatively can use a cookie scoop, another tool, or just eyeball it if you’re practiced. Dough balls should be like an inch and a half in diameter.) Roll the dough into a ball and be careful not to overwork it as it will lose its chill and get too warm. (If this happens it’s okay! Just place the baking sheet with cookie dough balls in refrigerator for about 10 minutes and that should cool them right down. Keeping them cool is what gives them the crinkle as opposed to baking like a normal cookie would.)

Now we’re going to roll the dough balls in sugar to coat them, my advice would be to place the sugars in either a low bowl, or place them on a plate if you want more room to work with. You can choose to roll the dough in JUST granulated sugar, or in both granulated sugar and confectioners’ sugar, but the granulated sugar helps the confectioners’ sugar to stick and not just be absorbed by the dough (or so I’m told) so maybe avoid rolling the dough in confectioners’ by itself. (My personal preference is just the granulated sugar, but SOME people insist it’s not a crinkle without confectioners’ sugar, so just live your life.)

Roll each dough ball in granulated sugar until coated. Transfer ball to confectioners’ sugar and roll until evenly coated (I am VERY generous with the amount I coat them in lol.) Place the coated dough balls about 1 inch apart from each other on the baking sheet.

More advice: If for whatever reason you find the sugar does not stay in place while they bake, you can always press the tops of the cookies in confectioners’ sugar after they’re cool, no harm, no foul, pretty cookies.

5. Bake the cookies until set in the centers, about 12 minutes, depending on your oven. (Sometimes they need a few more minutes to not be so doughy – about 15 minutes or so in total – but they can also come out doughy in the center if your dough balls are too big, and then you have to sacrifice the soft chewy edges in order to cook them fully :laurencry:) I recommend cooking one sheet at a time on the middle rack for best results, and if you choose to do the same remember to keep remaining dough chilly.

Do not over bake !! Cool the cookies on the sheets for a couple minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack (or whatever you prefer) to cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week for the best tastiness, assuming you haven’t eaten them all the day you baked them.

MAKES ABOUT 24 COOKIES.

More notes no one asked for:

My aunt gave me this recipe many moons ago from who knows where, so I don’t pretend that it’s mine or that she didn’t pull it out of a book or something, so unfortunately, I cannot give credit.

There are many variations in name and method of this cookie, but I use this one since one of my family members is allergic to eggs, and this recipe does not use them, and they’re tasty. So win-win.

If desired you can try add a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

I use ground cloves, you can also substitute that with allspice.

The milk is used to moisten up the dough, if you are feeling like changing it up my aunt definitely sometimes exchanges it for Bourbon. :eyes:

I’m attaching a picture for reference, but do not claim that I took it in the least. I took it off the internet from Errenskitchen.com.

• Ashburn

December 14, 2020 at 6:43 pm

4AM Squad Breakfast Bake

Tired of rewarding your questionable sleeping habits (for the sake of helping your predecessors) with the sadness of cold cereal? Bake this breakfast in advance (or while you await 4AM Herman Time from a more amenable time zone), and you’ll have a tasty breakfast for four days!

What you’ll need:

Baking vessel (I used a 9″×9″ glass dish, original uses 11″×7″, basically whatever you have that’ll fit)

4 eggs

4 tbsp milk (or quarter cup if you don’t want to measure them out individually)

1 tube of biscuits

Shredded cheese*

Crumbled bacon*

Seasonings*

• this is very customizable, put in what you like/have on hand

Scramble together eggs, milk, and seasoning (I used salt, pepper, and paprika in mine)

Cut biscuit dough into at least 8 pieces each (may be able to get away with fewer pieces if using smaller biscuits)

Toss biscuit pieces into egg mixture, making sure they’re coated. Add bacon, cheese, and any other mix ins.

Pour into greased baking dish (I used an olive oil spray that is very non-stick). I tossed the cheese in at this point to try and get better coverage.

Get the biscuits to lay in as close to a single layer as possible. Top with more cheese if you like (I did).

Bake at 375°F (350° if you have a convection oven) for about 30 minutes or until a poke in the center comes out egg-free (won’t be completely clean if you put as much cheese as I do). Best to keep an eye on it after about 25 minutes, as I use a toaster oven.

Cut into 4 (or more) pieces, refrigerate any that won’t be eaten until later.

Modified from a modification in the comments on a pull-apart bread recipe on Pillsbury’s site.

• Augustus_Octavian

January 24, 2021 at 3:46 pm

Knatz’s Fuss-free Frittata

Knatz has always lead a busy life, which is a gross understatement when magiq is involved. From fleeing from The Storm after getting jumped by a pack of Mountaineers-gone-bad in 1998 Missouri, to helping her daughter raise her brand new baby grandchild (who will possess all of the ancestral memories of Monarch’s Mountain Knatz, as an adept herself, once held) in 2020 France, she has always more or less had to make due with what she had on hand.

Much like her working as the Mountaineer’s mysterious Benefactor, her signature Frittata recipe does just that: it takes a group of disparate elements and binds them together into something whole, beautiful (and tasty!). The following is more a technique/formula than an actual recipe and can be varied almost infinitely.

• One dozen eggs

• 1/3 cup of milk (or plant-based milk)

• Any leftover vegetables, last slices of deli meats, half-full jars of things like roasted red peppers, herbs at the bottom of the crisper drawer, etc. that happen to be taking up space in the fridge; cubed or diced.

• 1 cup of any cheese, diced, shredded or crumbled.

• Your favorite seasonings

Preheat an oven to 350° F/175°C Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk with the milk/plant-based milk until smooth. Stir in the veggies and/or meats , along with the the cheese and seasonings. Pour into an oven-proof skillet and heat on medium high until the edges are set and lightly browned. Transfer to the oven and bake until the center is set, about 20-25 minutes. Slice into 8 equal wedges and serve warm. This is good served cold, between two slices of sandwich bread (which was Saberlane’s favorite way to eat it: cold, late at night, staring at a bunch of wooden and metal parts and waiting for Knatz to get some inspiration from her Nightmare Buddies).

Some ideas:

• Italian sausage, roasted red peppers, provolone
    • Sliced cooked potato and onion, cheddar
    • (In the photo:) broccoli, asparagus, chive and feta

• dominique-king

February 24, 2021 at 2:33 pm

Don’t have a pic to show but here’s a recipie.

Crack two eggs in a small bowl

Mix them up

Add cheese (optional)

Put in microwave for 2mins high power

Perfect egg omelette in a bowl

When you have burnt the midnight oil

• Augustus_Octavian

February 24, 2021 at 3:12 pm

Quick and tasty! Is there a Briarverse tie-in you can think of for it?

• josephinekelly

May 4, 2021 at 12:35 am

BRIARBERRY COBBLER

An easy and delicious way to use up and share that excess of magical berries that just won’t stop growing everywhere…

(If shared with crows, may result in them becoming more talkative than usual)

INGREDIENTS:

Filling:

• About 6 cups of blackberries

• 1/2 cup sugar

• 2 Tablespoons cornstarch

• 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Crust:

• 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

• 1 Tablespoon baking powder

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 Tablespoon sugar

• 4-6 Tablespoons chilled butter or shortening

• 3/4 cup milk

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Place rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 375.

2. Combine filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Spread evenly in a baking dish (glass, cast iron, or earthenware are all options. The baking dish should be at least 2 quart capacity and 2″ deep)

3. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.

4. Cut in butter or shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until the shortening/butter is about the size of small peas.

5. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the milk

6. Stir until combined and the dough starts to come away from the edges of the bowl (it doesn’t take very long)

7. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 times

8. Roll or pat out the dough into the desired shape. You can cut it into rounds, place the whole thing over the berries, or slice it into strips to make a lattice. If laying the whole dough over the top, make sure to cut steam vents!

9. Once the dough is arranged, brush it with a glaze (either milk or a beaten egg) and sprinkle with sugar

10. Bake until the top is golden brown, 45-50 minutes

Cool for ~15 minutes before serving and top with ice cream or whipped cream!

I find I usually end up with a little extra dough after cutting it down to the right shape and size. I roll/pat this into rounds and bake alongside for 12-15 minutes for tasty tea biscuits!

• Sellalellen

May 22, 2021 at 5:44 pm

Brownstone Veggie Tempura

This easy snack is perfect for late nights monitoring mysterious web servers, or convincing a tech-obsessed teenager to eat his vegetables.

This can be made with any vegetable, but I like broccoli or zucchini the best.

ingredients

• small bowl of flour

• small bowl of panko (bread crumbs)

• 3 eggs

• veggies of choice

• oil for deep frying

• salt and pepper to taste

Start by beating the eggs in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper or other spices to the egg bowl.

Your setup should have bowls of flour, eggs, and panko, and a pan or deep fryer of hot oil.

Coat your veggies in flour FIRST, then egg, then panko. Drop them in the hot oil and let fry for 2 minutes.

I like to poke the floating veggies with a chopstick to flip them over and make them fry evenly. There’s probably a more elegant way to do it, but this works.

Sprea