Activity Forums Community The Briar Society Dispatch The Briar Society – General Discussion Super Topic

• The Briar Society – General Discussion Super Topic

Posted by CJB on January 4, 2021 at 4:09 pm

Hi Briars! This is a new topic for all out-of-world discussions not directly related to the Briar Society narrative. This is where I’ll drop new merch sneak peeks, links for the monthly hangout, and you can discuss your Guide to Magiq monthly forecasts. Basically anything that’s not narrative can go here! Feel free to discuss whatever you want, but to kick it off, I thought I’d give you your first 2021 sneak peek at new merch coming your way next month!

The official Ackerly Green bookmark!

They’re two enamel baubles based on the AG logo and our mascot Herman the Hippocampus connected by a 3-inch chain. You slip the keyhole between the pages of your current read, and Herman hangs out, reminding you where you left off!

I’m really happy with how these turned out! The bookmark will be in the shop in February, just in time for your 2021 reading list, and remember, Briars get 15% off everything in the Ackerly Green Book Shop.

CJB replied 5 months, 1 week ago 18 Members · 74 Replies
  • 74 Replies
  • BrokenVoid

January 4, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Oh so cool! I’ve been using my wood thought element bookmark from the first one of the early AG+ shipments, but I’m always so afraid of breaking it. The chain would be nice and durable so I can protect the wooden as more of a keepsake.

• CJB

Administrator
      January 4, 2021 at 4:18 pm

We had a couple less-than-perfect wooden bookmarks from that batch and I still use one too!

• BrokenVoid

January 4, 2021 at 4:20 pm

All the AGP merch is so unique and magical, you really have a talent for creating these kinds of things. As well as writing engaging stories.

• CJB

Administrator
          January 4, 2021 at 4:27 pm

That means a lot, Void, thank you!

• Sapphire

January 4, 2021 at 4:50 pm

My favourite book marks are ones with hanging items :smiley:

I have a few that are like shepherds hooks with baubles and they hook over my ear while I’m reading making for a really odd dual purpose item, looking forward to doing similar with this.

• Ginger

January 4, 2021 at 5:46 pm

Oh my word

I cannot wait to get one of these bad boys

They’re so cool!

• CJB

Administrator
    January 4, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Also…

I’ll be announcing this tomorrow to everyone, but if you’re interested in the next AG Alchemy candle, I just posted it!

I’m doing four Wheel of the Year scents, starting with Imbolc !

It’s a frosty blend of birch branch, incense smoke, and new green leaf, perfect for dreaming of spring in winter!

I’ll ship these all at once, by mid-January to make sure they get to you by Imbolc, but they’re perfect to burn all the way to Beltane!

• josephinekelly

January 4, 2021 at 7:29 pm

:heart_eyes:

An Imbolc candle!! It sounds delightful! And perfect, as I’ve decided to make a Brigid’s cross this year.

• CJB

Administrator
    January 25, 2021 at 10:10 pm

Hello to all of you in @The_Briar_Society!

I wanted to give a quick heads up that next week is officially February and you can expect to start seeing some new content, both here, and … elsewhere.

Again, thank you so much for joining this year’s narrative. I can’t wait to share this one with you!

• Catherine

January 28, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Hey Briars!

We’re doing some back-end updating to get everything ready for next week, so there might be a couple of access hiccups in the meantime, but we are working on it!!

• Remus

February 1, 2021 at 4:36 pm

I was really looking forward to this morning’s forecast, but I’ve had errors like this regardless of how Itry to view it. Is anyone else having this issue?

• CJB

Administrator
      February 1, 2021 at 4:45 pm

So sorry about this @Remus, we’re looking into it now!

• Remus

February 1, 2021 at 4:48 pm

It’s totally okay, I just wanted to see if I was the only one! This isn’t the email I’ve received them at in the past, but I’m not sure if that’s the whole issue.

• CJB

Administrator
          February 1, 2021 at 4:54 pm

It looks like we didn’t have your guild listed in our email system, which is crazy! When we send these emails, they actually contain all the forecasts, but they only show the forecast related to your guild, cause we’re all sneaky and mysterious. We’re fixing it now and we’ll resend the forecasts to anyone we didn’t have guilds for previously!

• Remus

February 1, 2021 at 5:20 pm

Wow, I can definitely see that posing a problem! Maybe since my email switched to the one I use on the shop instead of on the forums, there was an error? I’m certainly no tech wiz, but I’m happy I could help get everyone their forecasts!

• Catherine

February 1, 2021 at 4:55 pm

Yup, you’re definitely not the only one! Looks like the guilds of some newer Briars also escaped our system somehow. Updating all of them and will resend shortly!

• Catherine

February 1, 2021 at 6:09 pm

You should have gotten a resend, let us know if you’re still not able to see anything!

• jamie-grace-duff

February 13, 2021 at 4:49 pm

I’ve been keeping track of Chapter 2 threads in the forum, but am not able to respond to any of them nor reply to the code of conduct thread?

• CJB

Administrator
      February 13, 2021 at 4:52 pm

That’s strange, let me do some digging…

• CJB

Administrator
      February 13, 2021 at 4:55 pm

You should be all squared away now!

• EternalHearts

February 14, 2021 at 2:10 am

I’ve been doing some interaction with people on Facebook in one of the Briar Society ads. There a lot of feedback about what the difference between the paid Briar Society & the free AG memberships.

Outside of the community threads & (fairly quiet) Guild boards what do non-Briars “get” for lack of better terminology?

• CJB

Administrator
      February 14, 2021 at 3:30 am

Hi @eternalhearts, I just saw all the questions and comments! I’m responding now, and it seems people are curious about what it is and what you get for the price of TBS and if the education tier is different than the standard tier?

• CJB

Administrator
        February 14, 2021 at 3:45 am

I responded with:

Wow, I hadn’t received notifications for these questions and comments! Hi! I’m the writer in question! The Briar Society is an immersive literary experience that’s got bits of Choose Your Own Adventure novels, roleplay, and a smattering of ARG. But it definitely leans more literary than “game.” This ad was created mainly for readers who are already members of the Ackerly Green community and know what it’s all about but the Briar Society is available to everyone. It’s just me, CJ Bernstein, running this operation so I focus my time (and budget) on the community and experience rather than trailers or tutorials, but the first free novel, The Monarch Papers, is meant to be a perfect example of what the Briar Society is. And the broader community is also free to join. There’s occasional narrative events in the forum, we’re planning lots of guild stuff this year, and we play games, discuss books, hobbies etc. Thanks for fielding these great questions, and sorry for not responding sooner everyone! If you’re curious and wanna dip your toes in the world, https://magiq.guide is a good place to start.

• EternalHearts

February 14, 2021 at 4:23 am

Thanks for adding that, I hope it more fully answers the questions people had.

• CJB

Administrator
            February 14, 2021 at 4:24 am

Thank you for answering and helping. I really appreciate it. :cjheart:

• EternalHearts

February 14, 2021 at 5:02 am

I was very happy to connect, but I knew that “trust me, I pay & it’s awesome” might not have the clout that it certainly should have. :wink:

Now that I have this added info, I’ll be commenting am over the place as I feel inclined.

• heather-w-carroll

February 17, 2021 at 11:38 pm

I am a new member of TBS (and an Ebenguard Marentide) who recently finished both TMP books. I apologize over and over again if this has been covered elsewhere, but should I finish AG’s Secret Society and The Search for Magiq or should I catch up on TBS Chapter 1 next?

heavy sigh Fabulous first impression, Heather.

• Ashburn

February 18, 2021 at 12:47 am

Trying not to be too spoilery, I believe there’s a character intro that would be relevant to TBS 1, but that should be it on things that might throw you off.

And welcome, fellow Marentide! :endri2:

• CJB

Administrator
      February 18, 2021 at 12:53 am

Hi! If you’re wondering the chronological order, then Secret Society and Search for Magiq are up next. If you’re curious about their importance to subsequent stories, they definitely establish some important things regarding the Briar Society and characters therein, as well as the bigger scope of the story (and I leave hints and secrets everywhere including in SS and SFM which readers haven’t found) but they’re not absolutely critical to enjoying the Briar Society! And you may find you’ll want to go back once you discover some things in TBS Chapter One!

And welcome!

• AugustAbel

February 18, 2021 at 9:37 pm

Wait, what now?

• CJB

Administrator
          February 18, 2021 at 10:00 pm

There are secrets in The Monarch Papers that still haven’t been found, let alone SS and SFM. :cjtea:

• AugustAbel

February 18, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Cool, cool, good to know, gonna file this under things you don’t think about when reading previous books.

• Lexington

February 19, 2021 at 2:05 am

… yet. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

• EternalHearts

February 21, 2021 at 3:57 am

You are EVIL.

And @Heather, there you have it, none of us has found some of the secrets and we’re still not only here, but completely enthralled and engaged. Maybe you’ll find some of these secrets we’re being clued into all of a sudden :tinfoilhat:

• heather-w-carroll

February 27, 2021 at 10:37 pm

I couldn’t resist. I can’t figure out the Supporting Correspondence cipher, so I started re-reading TMP to look for the hidden clues. :grin:

• EternalHearts

February 28, 2021 at 12:38 am

I’ve been able to do that for days now. I just have to do make in-progress books though!

• dominique-king

February 28, 2021 at 12:40 am

I may have found something could someone message me to check. It’s in TMP C&T

• EternalHearts

February 18, 2021 at 2:45 am

Hello fellow completionist Ebbie!

If you can get ahold of SS & SFM, definitely do so, but I found (before they were published as books) that I was able to get a lot of info from reading the Age of Magic Category @Catherine even numbered the threads to help out! and the Wiki.

I still have to refer back to the previous stories/chapters/wiki as I’m plodding along, and I’ve been here since just as SFM was ending

• heather-w-carroll

February 18, 2021 at 12:53 am

I HAD to read all 700 posts in the Currently Reading Super Topic thread, but now I’m back on chapter 9 of AG’s Secret Society.

• CJB

Administrator
      February 18, 2021 at 12:56 am

Well, if you’re scouring a 700 post topic for fun, I’m not at all surprised you’re a completionist!

You’re definitely going to enjoy all the nooks and crannies of SS and SFM! :cjheart:

• CJB

Administrator
    February 18, 2021 at 5:39 pm

Also, sort of apropos, I spoke with Bookfunnel, the awesome company and app I use to deliver ebooks from the shop, about an idea I had for ebook lending from AGP, and turns out they’re already planning it for sometime in the nearish future, so a lending library for the Briar Archive could be a possibility down the line for the Briar Society. :cjheart:

• EternalHearts

February 18, 2021 at 6:29 pm

Periodically the AG site (not the forum) logs me out and I go into full-on panic mode when I visit the WELL and get the “You’ve Been Chosen” message. :bashfacepalm: :martytired:

• Sapphire

February 18, 2021 at 7:11 pm

Snap.

Although I do find some comfort in being a Chosen One.

The ultimate dream for fantasy readers :slight_smile:

• EternalHearts

February 18, 2021 at 8:48 pm

Okay, that’s a very nice reframe :smiley:

• josephinekelly

February 19, 2021 at 12:37 am

Between the Briarverse and the Cosmere, my brain just always

• dominique-king

February 28, 2021 at 12:31 am

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

• EternalHearts

March 1, 2021 at 5:17 pm

You all got me in deep. I just created a OneNote notebook for this…

• CJB

Administrator
      March 1, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Yeeeeeeeeeeees :cjheart:

• CJB

Administrator
    March 27, 2021 at 3:03 am

Okay. So-

The Book of Briars, The Briar Society: Chapter One, and the Neithernor RPG Alpha edition Handbook will ALL be finished by Monday and TBS will also resume after the weekend.

Again, thanks for your patience as I’ve finally put all these COVID-delayed projects to bed and settled into the post-Catherine Ackerly Green. :cjheart:

• Skylad

March 27, 2021 at 3:40 am

So we are entering a new era of AG… it used to be PDoC and ADoC (Pre Day of Change and After Day of Change) now we are DC and AC (During Catherine and After Catherine)

Edit Also are you burning the midnight oil @CJB???

• Ashburn

March 27, 2021 at 4:25 am

He’s still got a few hours yet. :endriwink:

• CJB

Administrator
    May 29, 2021 at 12:33 am

Hey Briars, it’s happening right now!

Come join us and watch/chat on the Neithernor RPG livestream now!

• CJB

Administrator
    May 31, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Not even a retcon, just a silly and obvious mistake that I will beat myself up over for the next few days. :sweat_smile:

• CJB

Administrator
    June 20, 2021 at 7:27 pm

If you’re unable to see the well map on the main page of The W.E.L.L. I think it might have something to do with GDPR cookie implementation and I have a message into support for the map plugin I’m using. Sorry for the hassle!

• CJB

Administrator
    June 26, 2021 at 12:32 am

Neithernor RPG: Stony Harbor – Episode 3 is now live-streaming on Youtube!

• CJB

Administrator
    July 17, 2021 at 12:39 am

Neithernor RPG: Stony Harbor – Episode 4 is now live-streaming on Youtube!

• djsolare

July 18, 2021 at 12:38 am

I got my Briar Society badge and coin today (that was some especially good turnaround, @CJB)

I remembered that the badges were all numbered so I checked to see what I got

1. I chose to ascribe especially deep meaning to this.
    • CJB

Administrator
      July 18, 2021 at 11:25 pm

That’s especially lucky because when we moved to Portland I opened all the bags of the numbered pins and put them in one bin in the “craft room,” totally forgetting that they were packaged in sequence, twenty to a bag.

• djsolare

July 18, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Well now it’s definitely fate. Sorry world, apparently I’m the chosen one this time so… enjoy a thousand years of darkness I guess. I know I will

• EternalHearts

August 7, 2021 at 3:42 am
    • Ashburn

August 7, 2021 at 3:45 am

I saw that! And obviously this was the first thing I thought of.

…let’s be real, anything with bees reminds me of this, now.

• EternalHearts

August 7, 2021 at 3:46 am

Truth. My neighbors have a few hives & I always get a bit giddy when I eat the honey.

• CJB

Administrator
          August 8, 2021 at 4:39 am

:cjheart: omg it’s stuff like these comments that makes me so happy. 🙂

• EternalHearts

August 8, 2021 at 4:43 am

You should have a camera on my blackberry patches…

• CJB

Administrator
    August 27, 2021 at 1:51 am

Thanks so much for your patience this week, Briars. I have a bunch of stuff ready to go but with traveling and a lot of house stuff taking up my mental bandwidth, I need a long weekend in the woods to protect myself against burnout, so the narrative will pick up bright and early next week!

• CJB

Administrator
    September 23, 2021 at 12:31 am

Hey Briars! Sorry for the recent quietness, I just spent the past 48 hours in a mini AG Summit with my writer pal @Mike, working on some big plans for the end of this year, The Briar Society, and all of 2022. The narrative will resume v. v. shortly. :cjheart:

• djsolare

October 18, 2021 at 3:59 pm

So I formerly worked in a warehouse where I had to pass through metal detectors several times a day but recently changed jobs to something a little less restrictive. It is nearly impossible to describe how good it feels to have just a hefty object I can mess with while I mill around waiting for work to happen.

• AugustAbel

October 21, 2021 at 3:53 pm

I play with mine during cutscenes.

• djsolare

February 26, 2022 at 12:42 am

I had a thought recently and figured I should bring it up before anything starts happening in earnest this year.

At the end of the last year of Briar activity, I kind of pulled away from puzzle solving in an effort to not make stuff an episode of The Django Show and I felt sort of like doing so contributed in some way to the conclusion ticking towards the Bad End – regardless of whether that was actually the case or if it was just my inflated sense of self importance…

Is this a feeling unique to me? Is this an actual problem? Is there some way I can participate while navigating around these feelings?

Thanks all

• Robert

February 26, 2022 at 2:08 am

I was so confused reading this talking about someone monopolizing puzzles and having an over inflated sense of self-importance and it wasn’t about me.

First off, I don’t think we got the bad ending. Not the bad bad ending anyway. Laureen never returning, that would have been bad bad. Between you, me and the lamppost I don’t think that ever would have happened no matter how bad we messed up. So I don’t think there’s any fault or blame to go around. Most of us seemed to have fun, I learned a bunch of new stuff about languages, and we got a happy ending with a clutch last minute guess by one of our Briars. To me that was awesome.

This is D&D, or colaborative story telling. If you think you’re talking too much, let others shine. There’s a lot of people here who only chime in when they see their space, not to mention all the people who don’t happen to be on the forums for the sometimes 20 minutes it takes for a puzzle to be released to solved. There’s definitely something to be said about saying your piece then taking a step back and check in tomorrow to see how it went.

On the other hand when we see a puzzle some of our minds just go a bit crazy working on it. It happens to most of us and we find ourselves working on it and wanting to share with the others here. That’s one of the great reasons we are here after all. No one’s going to blame you for wanting to be a part of the story. That’s the whole point after all.

I can’t tell you where your balance is. Heck, I barely know mine after all. If you start to feel frustrated, angry, or impatient with the pace of things or how they’re working, definitely take a short breather. If you think you’re contributing in good faith and helping set up a story where everyone can shine now and then, then I think you’re fine.

And if you ever have a moral quandry or concern, feel free to hit me or one of the Leaders up in private messages. They’re all really good people to talk to.

• CJB

Administrator
        March 2, 2022 at 6:16 pm

That’s the key. If you feel like you’re contributing and helping make room for others to contribute, you’re good!

As for the “bad ending,” this was the first time I didn’t “reroute” you all to my “preferred” ending. There was a ticking clock that ran out and instead of finding a way to “make more time,” Bruce solved the problem in a less dazzling way on his own, but in a way that was always planned as “Plan B.”

So think of it less as a good/bad path and more as path A/B, where there is a more dazzling scenic route you could’ve taken, or a more serviceable, but less “showy” route.

• Ashburn

March 1, 2022 at 7:47 pm

I was definitely feeling like I had to slow down to try and give folks a chance to solve things during TBS 1. I even spoilered one when it was a second solve in the same night (Ginger can back me up on that one).

So, not just you. :laurensmile: