Activity Forums The Hall of Hobbies Artists’ Aerie The Photography Thread!

• The Photography Thread!

Posted by SabineBean on July 29, 2019 at 12:51 am

Now while we do have the Visual Arts thread, in which to post finished art pieces, and the Everyday Beauty thread for posting pictures or taking note of beautiful things mounties find here and there, but no specific thread for photography!

That changes now! Welcome to the Photography Thread! Come share your photography here! :cherry_blossom:

Jericho replied 2 years, 7 months ago 15 Members · 42 Replies
  • 42 Replies
  • Rimor

July 29, 2019 at 12:54 am

Sea of wheat

Let me be the first to christen this thread with this photo which I personally don’t think looks great

• Rimor

July 29, 2019 at 12:57 am

Park falls

(If you have a better name please tell me :laughing:)

Okay here’s a very much older and slightly better one (Sorry my recent photos are stuck on my camera atm :laughing:)

• SabineBean

July 29, 2019 at 1:02 am

It’s alright @Rimor! These are so lovely! Love the atmosphere, the composition of the second one is so lovely (and the dreamy feel of the first is almost ghibli-esque!) :cherry_blossom:

• Rimor

July 29, 2019 at 1:20 am

Thanks Bean!

Also is this thread just for finished work or can I show my editing process, camera gear, ect?

• SabineBean

July 29, 2019 at 1:22 am

Feel free to show everything involved in the process! This thread is for photographs but can also be for showing the work that goes into taking the images in the first place! :cherry_blossom:

• Rimor

July 29, 2019 at 1:23 am

Awesome! Well tomorrow then when it’s not 2:23am I’ll show you one of my favourite photos, the gear I used and it’s editing process! :laughing:

• SabineBean

July 29, 2019 at 1:30 am

I look forward to it!! And true, 2:30 am isn’t the best time for taking pictures of equipment :blossom:

• BrokenVoid

July 29, 2019 at 2:48 am

A lone flower growing on the edge of a lake.

• SabineBean

July 29, 2019 at 3:08 am

Oh, lovely! So picturesque… What a beautiful scene :blossom:

• cjheighton1998

July 29, 2019 at 3:47 am
    • SabineBean

July 29, 2019 at 7:40 am

Fantastic!! I adore the atmosphere in each of these images, and I love how they come together so nicely too! They feel like a very purposeful series, whether they were or weren’t. That’s wonderful! :cherry_blossom:

• Marlificent

July 29, 2019 at 8:10 am

Please excuse the in-editedness of these :blush:

• Rimor

July 31, 2019 at 1:25 pm

So in this first post I’m gonna show the camera, lens and gear I use in my photography!

So I’ll start off with the camera I use which is the Nikon D5600! It’s a pretty light and compact camera no bigger then my hand. The lens attached to it currently is my 35mm prime lens which I use mainly for portraits!

So next up is my favourite lens the 70mm to 300mm telephoto lens! I use this for all my landscape and wildlife photography. It comes with built in vibration reduction meaning I don’t need to carry around a heavy tripod. I accidentally broke this guy earlier in the year when my bag fell of a rack and snapped him off the camera. But luckily I found a really good camera repair shop!

Finally for gear this is my manfrotto mini tripod which I’ve found super when I took the waterfall pic in the post above! The other main bit of gear is my sling camera strap which allows my camera to hang safely at my side while also being quick to access!

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

• SabineBean

July 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm

This is lovely! I like the design of the tripod, you don’t often get ones that look so ergonomically designed. And I’m glad to hear that you found someone to repair the damaged parts! It sounds like your set has been through some interesting things! :blossom:

• Rimor

July 31, 2019 at 1:51 pm

If the lens hadn’t been so shoddily designed by Nikon I might have avoided the damage but no they just had to make the most important part of the lens, the bit that connects it to the camera, out if plastic! :laughing: Luckily that’s the only part of my kit that’s been damaged! The guy who repair it did it for an awesome price as well whereas all the professional places wanted to charge me an arm and a leg!

Ye Manfrotto make some of the best tripods on the market but I could only afford there super cheap mini tripod :laughing:

I should also mention that non of the lens are new, I’ve bought them all second hand which has helped keep costs down a lot! The next lens I want is the 24mm to 70mm lens but even second hand it’s super costly

• Rimor

July 31, 2019 at 11:19 pm

Okay so on to the photo editing part!! I guess I should start by telling you the editing software I use. Now a lot of photographs will probably gash in horror at this but I use an app on my phone called Snapseed that my brother recommended! It’s completely free and comes with a massive range of tools!

So this is the original image before any editing was done! It was shot at f/6.3, 300mm and an ISO 320!

So the first edit I did to it was to increase the saturation, contrast, brightness and sharpness of the image. The basic jazz I do to a photo! I used my standard 25 rule and then tweaked it from there till I was happy!

Second I stuck it in black and white to see what it looked like and decided to keep it like that! I messed around with several types of black and white filters such as shadow but I used my personal varient of fine art.

DSC_0032_2-01-01

Third I cropped the photo to remove noise and balance the image! I then reduced select parts of the photos structure with a brush such as the wall behind the family. I then soften the picture a bit, added some highlights/ambiance and fiddled with the white balance! Finally I noticed a massive black iron bar (Bottom right) in the picture making it look all weird and unbalanced. So I pulled off one of the greatest edits I’ve ever done and completely removed it!

DSC_0032_2-01-03

So this was the finished piece I was left with!

Editing a photo is one of the most fun parts of photography for me as I get to mess around an experiment. Sometimes I works out amazingly like in this case, other times it can be quite frustrating. I’m a massive perfectionist so if I don’t think a photo was taken well I don’t even bother editing it. If I do edit it then I have to be 100% happy with the final product or I never release it.

If you have any questions please ask!

(Edit: I should probably also mentioned that I took this photo without a tripod from a significant distance so the photo is definitely not perfect in a professional sense but I like the charm it has. A lot of my people photos are very spur of the moment and natural. I hate it when people pose as you lose their true self and just get a photo of the mask they show to the world)

• Rimor

August 24, 2019 at 12:12 am

So for those of you wondering this is what happens when you push a phone camera beyond its limits…

• Ashburn

August 24, 2019 at 1:20 am

Reminds me of plotting out my temperature blanket squares! :deirdrexd:

• Rimor

August 28, 2019 at 10:37 pm

St Mary’s

I took this one with my 35mm lens while doing the 35mm challenge so you’ll probably see some more here when I’ve edited them

• SabineBean

August 28, 2019 at 10:54 pm

Oh, that’s so gorgeous!!! It’s so serene it almost looks like a painting, I love that :cherry_blossom:

• Rimor

August 28, 2019 at 11:17 pm

Okay heres another from St Mary’s that I really liked the look of

• SabineBean

August 28, 2019 at 11:22 pm

Ooh!!! Wow this has such an old world feel to it, how lovely!! Beautiful colours, wonderful composition! :blossom:

• Rimor

August 28, 2019 at 11:25 pm

Thanks @SabineBean!

Okay this was a tomb at the church, it took me awhile to find the perfect composition

• SabineBean

August 28, 2019 at 11:30 pm

Oh absolutely gorgeous… Phenomenal craftsmanship, wonderful lighting and composition, you’ve gotten an amazing photo there!! :cherry_blossom:

• Rimor

August 28, 2019 at 11:30 pm

Okay final good one from St Mary’s!

• Jericho

December 20, 2019 at 1:51 am

Oh wow @Rimor that one reminds me a lot of an old church where I used to live! Also what camera would you recommend for someone wanting to get into photography more?

• cjheighton1998

December 20, 2019 at 5:08 am

ah, hey, rimors kind of left the game, for a few major reasons. dont think you’ll find your answer. I do have a little photography experience though, so ill make a few mentions, i guess, if you’re okay with it?

Uh, so essentially, id recommend not going with anything too expensive unless you know you’ll be getting a lot of use out of it, in which case id recommend a DSLR. Having a manual focus/automatic focus combo is nice, and worth looking into, due to the amount of control you can get.

Personally, id recommend the D3300 by nikon, as well as the canon(?) rebel series. both are super nice, easy to handle, and take awesome photos.

• Jericho

December 20, 2019 at 6:56 pm

Oh thanks @Cj_Heighton for letting me know and the advice! I’ve heard good things about the D3300 and D6 makes so I’ll look at them as well! Also why did Rimor leave?

@Sellalellen oh yes I did look at that one! My friend had one and they said it was a pretty good starter camera!

@CJB I’ll definitely consider that one! I’ve been trying to decide between canon and Nikon :laughing:

• TheMadHare

December 20, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Here’s what Rimor had to say:

“As for photography recommendations I’d say go with a D3600 with a kit lens to begin with. You can get it for about £400. Then depending on your needs you can get a 35mm lens for about £50 ish or a 70mm to 300mm for £100 – £300. Nikon is cheaper then canon so is especially good for beginners. You’ll also want kit such as a bag, sling strap, tripod and cleaning stuff. I’d also say you should definitely get some UV lens protectors, stops the lens getting scratched.”

I’m not super techy or knowledgeable about this stuff, but I hope this helps!

• Jericho

December 20, 2019 at 7:37 pm

Oh brilliant @TheMadHare! Tell him I said thanks for the advice!

• CJB

Administrator
        December 20, 2019 at 1:02 pm

I am an obsessive researcher and we ended up going with the Canon m50 for product photos and our Instagram feed. We’re really happy with the quality of image, how easy it is to use, and renewed/refurbished you can sometimes find it for under $500. I have a couple Nikon DSLRS and I use the m50 more often than either of them.

• KitKatch

September 2, 2019 at 2:10 pm

I tend to use my sister as a permanent model because I can and she likes it. This is from when we were in iowa city.

These were all taken on my phone but I just recently got a new canon since my old one and still need to take pictures with it.

• KitKatch

September 2, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Sorry it’s only letting me post one picture at a time. This is the other one I wanted to show

• SabineBean

September 2, 2019 at 2:39 pm

These are absolutely lovely! Your sister is a great model and these are lovely photos! :blossom:

• KitKatch

September 2, 2019 at 7:59 pm

Thank you XD

• SpookyFoxx

November 12, 2019 at 12:34 am

Hi there shutterbugs!

You all have some really lovely photos. ^.^

I can only post one image per thread so I shall try and pick one of my favorites.

I use several cameras depending on what I am shooting but my equiptment includes:

A Canon Rebel T6 for most everyday purposes.

A Black Magic Cinema Camera for film.

A DJI Mavic 2 for arial photography/video.

I have so many lenses but my go to is my 50 mm fixed lens or my 20 mm fixed lens.

I took this photo using a macro lens, a mirror, some lazers, and some water with a dropper. #nofilter

I am a huge stickler for taking the photo exactly as I want it to look, as such I almost never edit anything, no judgement to those that do by any means! I love Photoshop but I had a stickler for a photography teacher that never let us touch up our photos except for cropping them slightly. Old habits die hard eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

• alexandra-weissberg

November 25, 2019 at 6:36 pm

This was my first Bee picture!! (I’m still learning ) And everyone’s pictures are so amazing I’m in awe bc of ya’ll.

• Ignatius

November 25, 2019 at 8:41 pm

You missed a perfect opportunity to say “beecause of y’all”

• Catherine

November 26, 2019 at 6:32 pm

Wow!!! What a cozy lil bee!! Awesome picture!

• Sellalellen

December 20, 2019 at 6:37 am

The Canon PowerShot is my current favourite. It’s sort of a step between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR. A hybrid I guess? You can adjust just about everything easily, but there is no switching out lenses. My local electronics store sells them for about $600 at full price, but between the sale that was on and some negotiation with the sales person I managed to get it for about $250. Just find something you like and then watch for the sales.

• Jericho

December 21, 2019 at 10:24 pm

Hey @TheMadHare can you ask Rimor what camera bag he’d recommend? I’ve seen all sorts of bags from single should to backpacks to messenger bags! It’s a little overwhelming and I’d love his advice! :sweat_smile: