Activity Forums The Hall of Hobbies The Garden Shed The Wilds and You: Gardening Topic!

Tagged: 

• The Wilds and You: Gardening Topic!

Posted by cjheighton1998 on April 12, 2019 at 8:33 pm

Hi there! Names chi! Im almost certainly NOT a gardener, but with this thread, hopefully we all might get a little more in touch with our WILD side. Hah, get it?

No?

Mkay, moving on.

Essentially, this is just sort of a superthread for gardening related stuff! Im gonna post gardening related photos over the course of my summer, and hopefully others will join in if they’re getting up to something wild!

See you on the flipside!

Ashburn replied 4 months ago 48 Members · 247 Replies
  • 247 Replies
  • cjheighton1998

April 12, 2019 at 8:35 pm

it may be april, but ive already been threshing and tilling my soil! Ill be going out on the 20th to buy spice plants and all sorts of assorted seeds. Hows everyone elses gardens? Anything planted yet, or are you all still being old mcdonald?

• Augustus_Octavian

April 12, 2019 at 11:04 pm

I love gardening, but this year with our third child, my wife and I decided not to plant anything. :sob:

• witchery

April 27, 2019 at 4:02 am

I am wildly impressed by your garden plot and your ability to motivate yourself outside of the house. HOW???

• cjheighton1998

April 27, 2019 at 4:34 am

well, my family definitely assist, but i play guitar and sing at farmers markets every saturday from 8am to about noon, so i find plant and spice merchants all over there. Helps me keep reminding myself to pick stuff up when they’re available.

Other than that, my dad was an avid gardener, and my mom loves flowers to an unreasonable degree, so i eventually took to it, and once i did its been so fun to pick stuff and watch it grow and then cook it that ive just never gone back

• BryxalVoid

April 12, 2019 at 11:23 pm

Not much of a gardener, but I work as a camp counselor over the summer and we have a garden there. Apparently, the camp has been working on a new fence.

• Ashburn

April 13, 2019 at 2:02 am

I’ll take an updated pic of my wee plants tomorrow once it’s light out. These forget-me-nots do not want to go down without a fight. :deirdrexd:

• cjheighton1998

April 15, 2019 at 5:56 pm

Actually, good point: should this be in creationary, rather than elsewither? @Catherine dont suppose you mind moving this topic?

• cjheighton1998

April 16, 2019 at 10:04 pm

thanks!

• Ashburn

April 17, 2019 at 12:07 am

Okay, so a bit longer than I’d intended, but plants!

The petunias (the middle one) didn’t fair so well when I went out of town for a couple days, but the pansies and forget-me-not are fighting the good fight. I cut the grass planter out (to the left of the pansies) because the lack of dirt from being attacked/monched upon finally took its toll.

Seeds of supposing take two! Two tiny sprouts, haven’t changed much in size, but they’re there! :aetherdetermined:

• cjheighton1998

April 17, 2019 at 12:11 am

ooo. looks like you’re already taking off running. Impressive!

• Ashburn

April 17, 2019 at 12:19 am

It’s getting past this stage that’s the trick. :sweat_smile:

Also, helps that I don’t have to wait for the Big Thaw :tm: to start. :simon:

Oh, and I haven’t forgot about sending that new set of Beans of Remembering up to the AG office, since the first two sets seemed not to like the cold very much. (And I’ll probably start the final set here as a safeguard so at least one will hopefully grow) And I’ll send a copy of the actual directions rather than what came in the box. :sweat_smile:

• cjheighton1998

April 17, 2019 at 1:00 am

mhmh. months of continued work, over and over tends to get some people really bored. Gardening requires a real solid amount of concentration and dedication to the craft, for sure.

• Sellalellen

April 17, 2019 at 1:57 am

I’ve just started to water my cacti again, now that things have mostly thawed, but I’m expecting another cold snap, so I’m cautious about planting my Seeds of Supposing (that’s what the empty pot is for. I might kill them if I plant them now).

Audrey doesn’t seem to appreciate being watered so I’ve let her be. Maybe she eats spiders or something? The cats seem to be scared of her so she keeps my other plants safe.

• Sellalellen

April 17, 2019 at 2:04 am

This is Alfred, my pincushion cactus

This is Melanie. All I know is that she’s purple and attracts cat hair.

And Audrey is… just Audrey?

• Catherine

April 17, 2019 at 11:48 am

Got an herb kit for christmas and they’re my pride and joy!! They just got new pots a couple weeks ago and they are thriving. Also featured is my lil succulent who I will be taking cuttings from and repotting when I get back from visiting my family in Chicago!

Not pictured: the orchid I managed to kill in only like two months :grimacing:

• Ashburn

April 17, 2019 at 11:57 am

Some orchids are surprisingly resilient. I had one once that looked like it died several times, I think one time it came back with like 20+ flowers on it (if I recall correctly I called them my hurricane flowers because they came up right around/after a hurricane).

• Catherine

April 17, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Yeah I think it was a combination of bad placement on my part (too cold, then too much sun) and no drainage in the pot it came in but all the leaves fell out and the stalk where they came out of was all black and moldy which did not look too promising…

• cjheighton1998

April 17, 2019 at 5:52 pm

eesh, almost sounds like you drowned it, too. how much water did you give it?

• Sellalellen

April 17, 2019 at 6:11 pm

Those blue pots are so pretty! I need to get matching pots for my plants now…

• Catherine

April 17, 2019 at 6:43 pm

Pots are plastic and were like $3!! They are cheap and cute and get the job done! And @Cj_Heighton I don’t think I watered the orchid enough actually? But honestly have no idea

• cjheighton1998

April 17, 2019 at 6:48 pm

Huh. I just half assumed that you drowned it due to the rot being present. Usually that happens due to condensation or mildew, unless maybe its humid where you are… weird.

Im gonna be running to a gardening center soon, come sunday, and im currently bidding on two batches of chives. Wish me luck!

• Ashburn

April 17, 2019 at 6:20 pm

I’m thinking of heading to the garden section of a store on my walk today, need more places to put plants.

• Ashburn

April 18, 2019 at 1:29 am

Pics will have to wait until tomorrow at some point, but got new pots, put the pansies and forget-me-not in the one I had enough dirt to fill (and shoved another set of seeds of supposing in the middle for the heck of it).

Cleaned out the panda of the grass remains, rinsed out the eggs that had the transplanted flowers in them, and put sage, rosemary, and a paper fish filled with catnip seeds that came as a freebie at some point.

• cjheighton1998

April 18, 2019 at 4:50 am

I won the chives :0!

Gonna go buy em tomorrow at 10:30 am!

I FAILED TO BUY THEM CAUSE I WOKE UP TOO LATE ;3;

gonna go again on tuesday.

• Ravenwing

April 22, 2019 at 4:31 pm

Got a new peppermint! Pics when I get home.

• Augustus_Octavian

April 22, 2019 at 5:00 pm

Update: My next door neighbors are getting bees (which I am disproportionately excited about), so my family and I planted two bags of mixed “Bee Feed” wildflower mix in part of our yard adjacent to theirs. It was a fun little gardening project to do with my two older children (5 and 3 years old).

• Ashburn

April 22, 2019 at 7:29 pm

I came home after two shifts yesterday to find a little potted violet plant. :cjheart:

and a bunny tin of cookies, but that’s not exactly relevant to the topic at hand

• Sellalellen

April 26, 2019 at 2:20 am

I’ve always wanted violets but the climate is too dry :sob:

• Ravenwing

April 24, 2019 at 5:13 pm

Propagating some peppermint I got the other day!

Look at those lil roots!

• Avalon

April 25, 2019 at 10:44 am

Where did you get your mint?

• Ravenwing

April 26, 2019 at 1:09 am

I have a main plant and I took cuttings from that.

• Avalon

April 26, 2019 at 1:44 am

Oh wow, that’s really cool that it can just sprout roots like that! Of course, I’m also amazed by really random things that maybe I shouldn’t be. I’ve been wanting to get my hands on some peppermint for a while now, though I haven’t really looked into it too much.

• Ashburn

April 26, 2019 at 11:14 pm

I got more dirt and seeds for my other two pots. :deirdreexcited:

And it’s moisture control dirt, which will hopefully make up for what is likely one of my primary gardening issues.

Adding: the seeds I got are cleome, moss rose, and 4 o’clock, but I’m having second thoughts on that last one now that I’m reading about them being toxic… :grimacing:

• Sellalellen

April 27, 2019 at 4:04 pm

I just got news that we’re buying new soil for the garden! I can finally grow something besides Swiss Chard! Maybe I’ll even attempt pumpkins this year. Last year I tried to grow things but the dirt is awful so most plants grew up scraggly and never grew vegetables. Only the radish and Swiss chard did well.

• cjheighton1998

April 27, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Sel, id recommend tossing your soil at least twice a week in the days leading up to planting, uprooting all weeds or roots you find. I myself do it upwards of 4 times a week. Also, buy worms for your soil. It helps really make the soil more fertile and usable.

• cjheighton1998

April 27, 2019 at 8:13 pm

Some sage advice for those looking to do veggie planting. This is a system thats been used since the early 1500s, i believe.

• Ashburn

April 27, 2019 at 10:05 pm

Finally took a photo of the violets

And the forget-me-nots and pansies haven’t completely keeled over, so fingers crossed?

And there’s a teeny tiny sprout in the middle there from the seeds of supposing.

• Catherine

April 28, 2019 at 6:55 pm

Does anyone have any tips for making a cutting of my succulent? It has bunch of aerial roots and is clearly ready to leave the nest, but I’ve never done it before and don’t want to kill it on accident :grimacing:

• Ashburn

April 28, 2019 at 10:00 pm

My pots are starting to get a little…more sprawling than usual, and one of the cats that visits likes sitting on my AC (where my plants are currently living), so I got a little multi-tiered folding stand that I’ll be setting up at some point.

And a baby pot to put a set of Beans of Remembering in.

• Tinker

April 28, 2019 at 11:57 pm

My new tomato plant children!

• Avalon

April 28, 2019 at 11:59 pm

Awwwwww they’re so cute and little :heart_eyes:

• Ashburn

April 28, 2019 at 11:59 pm

Well that’s rude, only calling it “better” boy…

What’s the third one?

• Tinker

April 29, 2019 at 12:00 am

My roommate’s is an Amish Paste variety I think

• Ashburn

April 30, 2019 at 4:28 pm

I planted one of my spare sets of beans of remembering last night (had a heck of a time finding them :deirdrexd: ).

I put the last set aside where I can find them so I can mail them in the near future. :hermanthumbs:

• Ravenwing

May 1, 2019 at 7:33 pm

My Mom’s gonna have me help with the garden when I get home!! We can’t have much because we live at the literal edge of a forest and the deer eat everything but I’m gonna try to put more herbs on the porch!

We do have great neighbors though:

• MissEvans

May 1, 2019 at 8:31 pm

My allotment is full of rhubarb, onions and and accidental spud jungle. Raspberries and strawberries on the way and the herb patch is ticking along nicely. The ground is very dry for this time of year, which worries me, but things are still growing.

• Sellalellen

May 1, 2019 at 9:44 pm

The perennials are coming up nicely! Daffodils and Hyacinths are in full bloom, and the tulips are budding. I’m glad these plants are all so low maintenance.

• cjheighton1998

May 1, 2019 at 10:16 pm

Speaking of the 3 sisters…

Saw this today at the market x3

• asiaspina

May 2, 2019 at 1:22 am

Maybe it’s not precisely gardening but have any of you grown mushrooms? I got a nice batch of Oyster mushrooms out of a kit from Amazon. It was really cool to watch them grow and the part where you get to eat them happens pretty quickly. I found instructions on how to get them sort of crunchy when cooked in a pan, which made them a nice topping for a squishy veggie dish.

• WitchOfBones

July 28, 2019 at 11:08 pm

Me and my partner grow oyster mushrooms from similar amazon kits on our patio! If you keep them in dark and wet places, they’ll keep producing!

• Ravenwing

May 2, 2019 at 2:18 am

I really wanna try growing them but I’m waiting til I have a semi permanent residence. I’ll definitely hit you up for tips!

• asiaspina

May 2, 2019 at 2:51 am

If you’re talking about the mushrooms, you actually just keep the kit in a cabinet and spray it at least once a day to keep the substrate humid and moist. I definitely suggest starting out with a kit of laid back mushrooms like Oysters because some of those guys are just finicky and you can’t make them happy unless they have a fancy set up.

• Ravenwing

May 3, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Oh heck yeah.

• Ashburn

May 3, 2019 at 6:07 pm

I’ve lost count of how long its been since I planted them, but my moss rose seeds are starting to sprout!

And it’s only been a few days, but the beans of remembering look like they’re doing their thing! :deirdreexcited:

I even had to add a little extra dirt because they were breaking the surface a little too early.

• Sellalellen

May 3, 2019 at 9:07 pm

So an update on the dirt situation:

Mum seems to have misunderstood why I was asking for more soil. She went and got a truckload someone was selling because they’d dug a new basement and had a pile of useless dirt in their yard. This is the same type of useless dirt that wouldn’t let things grow last year. Mum is very proud of herself because she got it for cheap, but I don’t think I can grow anything in this. It’s dust and clay. Once it rains, it will turn from loose, grey dust to dense, sticky mud, and then it will dry hard and crack. Once that happens, no water is getting past the top inch or so of clay. Not even grass will grow in this. And she went ahead and filled up the garden with this as a nice surprise for me. So now instead of having empty garden beds, I have full but useless garden beds and a family who expects a good harvest come September! I can’t work with this!

Sorry. Just had to rant. This is one more reason Mum is not allowed in the garden.

• cjheighton1998

May 3, 2019 at 10:06 pm

God i hate it when folks do that kinda thing just outta the blue. Gotta ask me first if they do ANYTHING to my gardens =w=;

• Sellalellen

May 4, 2019 at 1:01 am

Mum is infamous for killing plants. She really should know better.

• MissEvans

May 4, 2019 at 7:41 am

See if she can find you horsemanure on the cheap too to balance it out?! (I weep for you)

• Sellalellen

May 4, 2019 at 6:01 pm

That probably shouldn’t be too hard to find. We do live in a rural area.

• MissEvans

May 4, 2019 at 6:15 pm

Well that might reinvigorate the soil.

Oh and plant nasturtiums. They grow on anything!

• MissEvans

May 5, 2019 at 6:23 pm

Managed 2 hours on the plot today, just pulling grass out of the raspberry bed. My hands are shredded and I found 2 sloworms. Gosh that was fruitful.

• Tinker

May 5, 2019 at 9:36 pm

We got the tomato plants (and one rogue pepper plant) repotted and ready to grow! Plus some mystery seeds from @Ashburn:

• Ashburn

May 6, 2019 at 6:33 pm

Hopefully those seeds work, @Tinker!

I checked on my beans of remembering this morning and I’ll be holding off on posting further photos until our friends at AG have another chance with the last set that I promise I’ll mail, I have them readily accessible and everything.

But I want to share so badly!

• BryxalVoid

May 7, 2019 at 1:14 am

I mentioned it way back when that I’m a camp counselor over the summer, and I arrived there last night. Today, a group of 5+ adults and myself used railties(I think?) to build the framework for a tiered terrace garden for strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries (or so I’m told) I forgot to get a picture of it but we haven’t finished it, so I’ll try to get one tomorrow.

• BryxalVoid

May 9, 2019 at 1:13 pm

So, the first set of pictures is from the end of the first day. The whole first tier had been finished earlier on, but the second section was us.

The second set is the second day’s work. It unexpectedly took all day due to various problems.

• Augustus_Octavian

May 9, 2019 at 1:48 pm

That came out awesome! Are those up-cycled railroad ties?

• BryxalVoid

May 9, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Yeah, they’re railties.

And in case anyone was wondering, they’re heavy.

• cjheighton1998

May 9, 2019 at 7:58 pm

That is such an awesome aesthetic oml

• Sellalellen

May 15, 2019 at 8:34 am

@lunaaabelle92 you mentioned you’re a Plant Mum in your welcome post. I know this is out of the blue but could you introduce your plants to me? :cjheart: I really like cacti and I got probably too excited when I read you named them. :deirdreexcited: plants with people names are my secret weakness.

• lunaaabelle92

May 15, 2019 at 2:38 pm

@Sellalellen as soon as I get home from work I will give you the loooooooong list of names! I may even post some photos :blush:

• lunaaabelle92

May 15, 2019 at 5:32 pm

OK! Hold on to your hat (or other preferred accessory!)

Vera – my Aloe that we as a family have had for like 15 years. 9 years ago she started growing weird triffid things and then there were MINI VERA’S! She is literally the matriarch of my plant family and I love her (and her current weirdly long triffid).

Vera went on to have 5 babies that I kept for myself and they are called:

Alice, Burt, Charlie, Tina and Hera. She had more but I have gifted them to relatives :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Charlie has gone on to have 3 babies called Dimitri, Evan and Harold. Alice has had 2 and they are called Speckle and Stacey. Burt has had one (and they both need repotting) called Ben.

That’s my main family of babies!

Then I have two orchids, Ophelia and Desdemona. I’ve had Ophelia for 4 years next month. My now fiancé bought her for me the first time he came to stay over as he believes it’s rude to turn up empty handed! Her flowers are small and pinky-purple. Desdemona I’ve had for maybe 2-3 years and she was one of the dyed blue ones, but now the dye has gone she has huge white flowers.

Then I have a petunia named Petunia :joy:

I have a random succulent named Susan, a dusty rosette succulent called Rosa and a Jade plant called Lucy.

I have a currently very poorly fluffy succulent named Sigmund who has a baby called Pavlov(a), they need some help! But I’ve had them for 3 years.

Another succulent named Leggy McGee has just been saved and is now propogating and if they all take I’ll have Leggy and then like 20 more babies (he got very very leggy…)

And finally on to my cacti (since they were the ones you actually asked about!)

I don’t know what kinds of cactus they are but we have 4 and they are called:

Princess, Dave, (Spike) Milligan and Stan.

Phew! That’s all of them I think. Excluding the ones that belong to my sister!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

• Sellalellen

May 15, 2019 at 10:35 pm

So many! :deirdreexcited: and you even kept track of their family trees!

• lunaaabelle92

May 16, 2019 at 6:54 am

Ha family “trees”, oh the times we have :joy: :joy:

I play a lot of the Sims 3 (and play a legacy) so keeping track is just normal for me :blush:

• Ashburn

May 18, 2019 at 9:10 pm

So, I may have to restart my cleome and moss rose…

And my smol planters…

But I did trade in the 4 o’clock seeds for some Unwin’s dwarf dahlia and fairy candytuft seeds, so hoping those will have some luck. :crossed_fingers:

• Ashburn

May 21, 2019 at 10:43 pm

So the 5-10 day germination period for the dahlias is…3? Hopefully they were deep enough.

Also put more cleome and moss rose seeds down, put more dirt over them to hopefully give them a better chance.

Also emptied my tiny pots and put a few (3-5) seeds in each.

And the beans of remembering became regular bean plants sometime in the last couple weeks (and some bug has started laying eggs on it?).

• cjheighton1998

June 21, 2019 at 4:28 pm

chives, dill, oregano, and a few other herbs are taking super well to their new pot, spreading well! excited to see how they turn out.

• chrysverity

June 24, 2019 at 12:22 am

I have a little kitchen window garden starting with a roommate. Chives, basil, and cilantro are my responsibility, and theoretically I’m supposed to thin the basil and cilantro until there’s just one. The cilantro sprigs all erupted so fast they were holding each other in the soil, so I’m worried I’ve damaged them by thinning them all out like that, or by thinning them too late… We’ll see!

• swampwitch

June 27, 2019 at 7:37 pm

i just dug through a few of these topics to check out what everyone’s been up to- i absolutely love this whole thread here. once i get home, i’ll post up a few pictures of what i have growing right now, and what i’m having some trouble with.

maybe someone can give me a heads up on how to keep some things going!

(edit; i should clarify, i have a stupid amount of plants, but i’ll post the ones i have decent photos of, haha.)

• Johquil

June 27, 2019 at 9:45 pm

I’m not super good at growing things (though I try), but you all have fabulously green thumbs.

So here’s one of my favourite pictures from summer.

• Sellalellen

June 28, 2019 at 1:21 am

We’re not all great, even though we try to look it. I somehow killed my first cactus, so I’m especially paranoid about caring for them now.

• chrysverity

June 28, 2019 at 5:40 am

Mmhmm! My cilantro looks wispy, but okay; the basil, I’m trying to clear some soil mold out of. Slight overwatering, bits of thinned stuff left in the soil, and poor drainage.

• Catherine

June 28, 2019 at 12:32 pm

My cilantro is also quite wispy at the moment, I didn’t trim it when I should’ve and let it flower and now I’m just hoping I can get some coriander seeds out of it because I think that’s about all it’s good for :joy:

• Johquil

June 28, 2019 at 6:01 am

Nothing quite like that to make you more determined not to lose more though, right?

I’m still in the ‘oops I killed it again’ phase of my apprenticeship :sweat_smile:

• swampwitch

June 28, 2019 at 3:11 pm

whoops, forgot to post last night. here’s a couple plants i have growing currently! i wish i could post more than one photo at a time, since i’m a new user. i’ve got kind of a mix of stuff- blue butterfly pea plant, roses, aloe, crepe myrtle trees, blue daze, a few lantanas, some various blue larkspurs, a million spiderworts, some pilea baby in my window, maidenhair ferns, pumpkins, etc. i have a lot.

DSC_0680

• Sellalellen

July 11, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Inspired by the AG instagram, I have acquired a succulent. This is a split rock plant, and I have decided to name it Dwayne “The Rock” Houseplant.

• BrokenVoid

July 24, 2019 at 12:58 am

I recently got one an oyster mushroom kit and within less than a week they were big enough to harvest. It’s the only thing I can really grow in my room since my window never gets any direct sunlight other than an hour or two in the morning.

• Hekate

July 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm

I have such garden envy right now. I just finished grad school in a sad desert town, so not only did I not have much time to garden, but also nothing grew there anyway :unamused:

However, I just moved to slightly greener pastures and my new rent house came with a backyard full of fruit trees :heart_eyes:

I just started learning how to compost, which makes my heart happy – food waste gives me mild anxiety. If anyone has tips or tricks, or would like some from my trial and error attempts, let me know!

My boyfriend is trying to start a fresh herb garden in our kitchen – does anyone have experience growing herbs from seeds?

After I am done obsessing over this website, maybe I will take/share some pictures of my very own backyard fairytale :camera_flash:

• Catherine

July 28, 2019 at 7:51 pm

I’ve tried growing herb gardens from seed on multiple occasions!! Some attempts have fared better than others, but some easy ones to grow are basil, cilantro, and parsley! The trickiest part about growing them from seeds is making sure that you’ve got enough drainage and are repotting/pruning at the right times, but other than that it can be super rewarding :cjheart:

• Hekate

July 28, 2019 at 8:03 pm

That sounds simple enough; any rules of thumb tips on how to tell when something needs to be repotted? I’ve always had a knack for pruning, but I haven’t had much success with indoor plants yet.

• WitchOfBones

July 28, 2019 at 11:15 pm

One easy way is to look for excess root growth. If you see any rootlets coming from holes at the bottom of the planter, then the plant needs more space! Or, if you see roots reaching the edge of the pot, or following along the edge of the pot, then the plant needs more space (that action is called root wrapping).

• Rimor

July 28, 2019 at 5:42 pm

My garden currently looks like this :laughing:

• Belladonna

July 28, 2019 at 11:26 pm

I love that this includes indoor plants. I really want to get an indoor plant (the succulent craze is so real) but from watching my parents plants have not faired well in this household. Any tips so I can avoid a brown thumb?

• cjheighton1998

July 29, 2019 at 3:42 am

Dont let your parents have your plant. Keep it in your room and water it religiously. Occasionally give the plant offerings of silver in the light of a full moon. Ignore the occasional whispering. Im sure its fine.

• Belladonna

July 29, 2019 at 1:10 pm

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

• Belladonna

July 29, 2019 at 1:10 pm

The whispering has to be a good sign, right?

• Hekate

July 29, 2019 at 1:52 pm

I’ve found that I have to pay much closer attention to the indoor plants than the outdoor ones – I currently have an orchid who I’m bringing back from the brink because I forgot to tell her she was pretty for a couple days… I know that sounds kind of silly, but orchids are finicky little divas.

I hear succulents are more self sufficient, but that it’s important to ask them what kind of pot they want to be in, or if they’d like some pretty stones to keep them company – once they feel “at home” they’ll mostly be fine. Reading out loud makes them happy, too.

• Catherine

July 29, 2019 at 2:01 pm

I’m on orchid #2 as I accidentally both roasted and overwatered my last one, so this one now sits on a top shelf far away from my interfering hands and out of direct sunlight. Fingers crossed for better results!!

• Hekate

July 29, 2019 at 2:10 pm

Seriously – orchids love compliments. Don’t forget to tell it how pretty it is. Flattery will keep it from inviting bugs into the house for attention.

• TheMeanBunny

August 3, 2019 at 4:06 am

Apple%20Tree%20Baby

I have this little tree growing on my windowsill, grown from an apple seed.

• Fury

August 3, 2019 at 3:43 pm

This makes me miss my garden :laurencry: Back when I lived with my mom and dad I had a small herb garden. I want to get back into it but I live in an apartment complex that won’t let us plant anything large so I can’t do any of my favorites.

• Hekate

August 3, 2019 at 5:01 pm

Which are your favorites?

Why does your apartment have a size limit on plants? That seems unnecessarily micro-manage-y :frowning_face:

• Fury

August 4, 2019 at 11:13 pm

Because it’s a townhome community and all the yards are connected to each other. As for my favorites I love Mammoth Basil, Thyme, Tomatoes, and Oregano.

• Hekate

August 4, 2019 at 11:57 pm

Aww, that’s a bummer :disappointed: Ooh, that sounds like one :star2: stellar :star2: Italian starter garden though! :herb::leafy_green::tomato:

• Fury

August 5, 2019 at 12:10 am

It is and it is lol :cjheart: I’ll start again one day. Hopefully soon. In the meantime it’s just indoor stuff.

• Belladonna

August 4, 2019 at 2:04 am

Guys I’m so excited! I’m going to the cute hipstery affordable plant shop near me to pick out my first indoor plant! Let us hope this goes well.

• Connielass

August 4, 2019 at 4:04 am

Does anyone have experience with umbrella plants? I’m thinking it’s time to prune mine, which I’ll wait until fall to do, but I don’t know how much might be too much. Like, if there’s roughly a foot of length above the bottom portion of stem that’s started to get woody, would six inches be enough? Can I do more?

It seems to be really happy on my bathroom counter, but the spread of it is really starting to get in the way of my daily routines.

• Sellalellen

August 4, 2019 at 5:14 am

I’ve never had an umbrella plant before, but now I want one. They look hard to kill but grow faster than cacti. Also, found this for you.

• Connielass

August 5, 2019 at 2:37 am

Thanks! I’ll look into it more heavily in a month I guess…

@BrokenVoid yeah, I love that I can forget to water it without killing it! :laughing: Pretty sure I’m averaging out to a watering every 10-14 days or so right now. It gets direct sunlight on one branch for like an hour a day through the skylight.