Activity Forums Community General Discussion Yet Another Hogwarts House Thread

• Yet Another Hogwarts House Thread

Posted by Viviane on May 29, 2019 at 2:00 pm

So, since this was popping up in some other threads, and I’m always looking for an excuse to talk about it*…what are your Hogwarts houses? How did you decide which Hogwarts house you belonged in? How would you compare Hogwarts sortings with the process of finding your Guild in the MAGIQ Guide?

*Read: I will almost definitely be ranting ferociously about Pottermore quizzes in this thread.

LeonKilla replied 2 months ago 41 Members · 64 Replies
  • 64 Replies
  • Rimor

May 29, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Omg it’s the return of the Sage & Smith Rantcast :tm:!!! :laughing:

• Viviane

May 29, 2019 at 2:19 pm

To start this off – I’m a Slytherin (and a Flinterforge, of course). Growing up I was surrounded by people who insisted I was a Ravenclaw, but I didn’t totally buy that.

For various reasons, I took the Pottermore sorting quiz three times (two in old Pottermore and one in current Pottermore), and got every result except Hufflepuff. Interestingly, the all-questions Pottermore quiz sorts me pretty easily into Slytherin, but certain combinations of questions will put me everywhere except Puff.

I’ve identified pretty confidently as a Slytherin ever since. (I’m also a huge fan of the Sorting Hat Chats Tumblr system, if any of you want to check that out.) Plus, I feel like the Slytherin ambition complements the Flinterforge inspiration as neatly as the Hufflepuff work ethic.

Edit: @Rimor, not exactly. I do want other people to contribute here. :sweat_smile:

• Rimor

May 29, 2019 at 3:10 pm

Rantcast with community phone ins!!! :laughing:

• Ashburn

May 29, 2019 at 3:28 pm

Back in the days before Pottermore made a official one, all the random quizzes out there would normally be either Gryffindor or Ravenclaw.

Pottermore said Ravenclaw.

All-questions has said Ravenclaw each time (I think once it was as high as 93% or something like that), with either Slytherin or Hufflepuff at the bottom.

• hannah-thomas

May 29, 2019 at 4:09 pm

I’ve always been a Slytherin, even when I read the books as a kid. I think originally it was because I felt bad for the kids getting labelled evil at 11, but then I just fit into that house the best.

90% of the quizzes I’ve taken over the years have put me in Slytherin, with the occasional Ravenclaw result, if I get certain question combinations.

• revenaisreve

May 29, 2019 at 4:55 pm

I got Slytherin twice on the Pottermore quizzes – once when the site was first beginning, and once when they rebooted it.

I honestly don’t know how I feel about it. I feel like I’m not invested enough in Hogwarts that what house I’m in bothers me. :joy: And I do sort of enjoy being in the ‘eeeeevil’ house. I’ve also enjoyed the fanon and extensions that have turned Slytherin into a house with depth, where it’s more about drive and ambition than being a jerk.

• josephinekelly

May 29, 2019 at 6:52 pm

I’ve been a Ravenclaw since there were House quizzes and I really resonate with everything about that House philosophically and aesthetically, but their method of getting into their common room freaks me out to no end. Riddles and timed math tests are inextricably linked in my memory for some reason and the idea of being made late to a class because I couldn’t think fast enough for the door is paralyzing to my brain.

• metatomato

May 29, 2019 at 6:52 pm

I can’t figure out how to take the test again with the new pottermore layout. I always assumed they discouraged it. Either way, I’m somewhere smack dab in the middle of Ravenclaw and the Puffs. Side character extraordinaire. I always flip flop between being super logical and physically putting my logic aside for the betterment of people’s feelings and opinions.

• Viviane

May 29, 2019 at 7:28 pm

@Sorrel, I hear you. I’m just as likely to forget a password though, so maybe if you get a riddle and answer it creatively enough that’s better than just not remembering something?

@metatomato I should disclose, in all fairness, that I took the test three times because I had three different accounts: two in old Pottermore, one in new Pottermore, all under different emails because I lost access to the last one. Old Pottermore specifically forbid you from re-taking the test because of the way the house points system worked, and I think that restriction has technically stayed put.

• josephinekelly

May 29, 2019 at 7:51 pm

I could probably tell the door a story about the riddle…maybe that would do well enough!

• Tinker

May 29, 2019 at 7:47 pm

I’ve always been Gryffindor (old, new, and all-questions pottermore quizzes…plus like, i feel it in my soul). And obviously here I’m Flinterforge. And like @Viviane I do feel like my house does tie to my guild (despite the obvious fact that we aren’t in the same HP house). My passion/enthusiasm for a project feels very Gryffindor to me, and starting a new project feels a lot like blazing a trail and (pun not intended) forging a new path. And like, sometimes I’m maybe just a smidge reckless about it (aka that time last year I bought a drill to build some furniture right at the end of “working outside” weather when I don’t have an indoor space for that kind of work so it’s just been sitting there guilting me :sweat_smile:)…which also feels very :lion:

• Alissiya

May 30, 2019 at 12:02 am

I am very firmly a Ravenclaw and when I saw the description of Thornmouth I was like “ah, yes. The Guide sees my Ravenclaw side.”

I feel the constant need to know about EVERYTHING and if someone asks a question I don’t know the answer to, I HAVE to find out immediately or it will nag at my brain for the rest of the day. Comes in very handy during Trivial Pursuit.

• BryxalVoid

May 30, 2019 at 12:40 am

Pottermore has placed me in Ravenclaw, and most test/quizzes that I’ve taken place me there too. At least one quiz was about which two houses you were and it mixed Ravenclaw with Slytherin. I think Ravenclaw fits me fine but I can totally see the Slytherin in me too.

• Leaves

May 30, 2019 at 1:20 am

I’m a proud Hufflepuff!

• cedricborero

May 30, 2019 at 3:25 am

There a few times I’ve taken the test to sort me into either Gryffindor or Slytherin but neither of those houses actually fit who I am tbh quite honest, and other times I got Ravenclaw (which I honestly kind of dreamed of being apart of lol).

But after taking it on the Pottermore site I was sorted into Hufflepuff and what the house stands for basically suits me perfectly and if I can say it also fit the mold of Ebenguard. Not to also mention I share a name with a Harry Potter character, Cedric Diggory which still gets brought up to this day, so it’s like I’m meant to be in Hufflepuff lol.

• Ashburn

May 30, 2019 at 3:53 am

Oh, totally forgot to mention the guild part!

Naturally, as a Ravenclaw, I fully expected Thornmouth.

Of course it wasn’t until very recently that the Guide gave me anything but Ebenguard, and I definitely tried more times than I could count.

I think it was ultimately the line on the Ebbie page about possibly being someone who makes things for the purpose of inspiring wonder in others. Because I definitely pulled a reasoning very similar to that out of somewhere long before I ever found the Guide when I was interviewing for my current job.

And there is a line in there about pursuing knowledge, just not as prominently as with Thornmouth.

• Dreamhowl

May 30, 2019 at 2:44 pm

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

• Remus

May 30, 2019 at 3:00 pm

I’ve been sorted into Hufflepuff by every test. I definitely was resistant at first, but I realized that I didn’t have any idea what I thought I was. I’ve definitely embraced my house fully, now, though :joy:

• Leaves

May 30, 2019 at 5:06 pm

I love being Hufflepuff! Newt Scamander and Cedric Diggory were Hufflepuff.

• Kennilworth

May 30, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Growing up I never really did get into Harry Potter. ‘‘Twas many years after the film series ended that I got an interest in the boy who lived. ( More specifically after fantastic beasts) I took the test on Pottermore and got sorted into Hufflepuff. I wear black and yellow proud. Also the badger as our mascot is pretty cool. Always trusting fate, I never took the test again, nor did I want to. But the same applies to when I became a Flinter. No doubts here

• Sellalellen

May 30, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Proud Slytherin here :snake: every quiz I’ve ever taken has put me here. I’ll admit, I didn’t like it when I was younger (because reading the books made me feel it was an evil house full of evil people) but the fandom has expanded on it and made it so much better. I love the headcannons about :badger: + :snake: friendships where the Slytherin protects from nasty people and rumours and the Hufflepuff steals snacks from the kitchen and reminds the Slytherin to sleep and such. My affection for these posts is also increased because @Timidity is my Hufflepuff and we can see eachother in the hypothetical scenarios we read about.

• kaylameade

May 31, 2019 at 2:11 am

I’ve always been placed into Gryffindor. I can’t escape it. The countless quizes before the original pottermore and the new. I’ve just accepted it at this point in my life.

• cjheighton1998

May 31, 2019 at 3:21 am

I am very ravenclaw, and proud of it :3 got a house robe and wand at universal, and i am so happy with it :3

• Mellie

June 3, 2019 at 9:37 pm

I did the pottermore quiz twice and according to that, I’m a Hufflepuff. But according to every other quiz out there (including one that included all the pottermore quiz questions, instead of choosing a few as pottermore does) I’m in Ravenclaw. This always led me to wonder if it wasn’t what you amswered that was important, but rather how you answered it… Anyone else have a similar experience?

I got horned serpent and thunderbird the two times I did ilvermorny, and got flinterforge and thornmouth the two times I did the magiq assessment… I live a very well-rounded life so I guess it makes sense for me to fit into more than one place?

• Rowan

June 4, 2019 at 8:33 am

I always believed that I was a Gryffindor. I always thought that I wanted to be like the heroes in the story. So much like @Remus, I was resistant to the idea of being a Hufflepuff and it wasn’t until Pottermore sorted me into Hufflepuff that I finally really looked into the house and accepted it. And it’s fairly true to my character. But there’s still that desire to be a hero and I think that’s why I fit well into Ebenguard.

Being a Hufflepuff accents my loyalty and patience. Being an Ebenguard accents my sense of balance and desire to do what’s right.

• Adare

June 11, 2019 at 12:27 pm

Late to the party on this one it seems. I’m a proud hufflepuff :badger:

I think I’ve always seen myself as a hufflepuff… Probably because of how close they live to the kitchens. I loved all the extra writing on pottermore about the common room and stuff too.

Did anyone else do the wand ceremony? I love the wand lore!

• Miliham

June 11, 2019 at 1:00 pm

Pottermore puts me in slytherin, but dpending on my mood other quizzes will put me in Ravenclaw as well. So I just take the combination and use that

• greenmermaid

August 1, 2019 at 9:34 pm

Slytherin on every one I’ve taken. And I’ve done the Pottermore quiz…6??? times. I have a lot of old emails…

• Charlemagne

August 2, 2019 at 4:46 pm

So I took the Pottermore quiz and got ravenclaw and I have to say that I agree with that assessment. I am pretty studious and love to study which goes right with my Thornmouth guild!

• Ignatius

August 2, 2019 at 8:17 pm

Not sure how I’ve never seen this thread but I constantly get Gryffindor! My friends say it matches but I’m not certain. I’ve always associated Griffindor’s with the heroes so that might be why I don’t see it.

• Rimor

August 2, 2019 at 8:23 pm

Weird I always assumed you’d be a snugglepuff :joy:

• Ignatius

August 2, 2019 at 8:26 pm

:joy: Yeah right! I might be a little nice but I’m not Helga Hufflepuff nice! Nor am I super patient. My current profession definitely doesn’t allow for that.

• Viviane

August 2, 2019 at 9:12 pm

Hey, now! I know a lot of fiercely Puff Hufflepuffs, who are neither nice nor patient. :rofl:

• Aeryce

August 2, 2019 at 9:33 pm

My mother and niece are both Hufflepuffs. I’m a Slytherin with a Gryffindor older sibling. Honestly the most scary one when you anger them is my mother. She’s nice… until you mess with her family.

I’ve taken the different quizzes that have been created including old and new pottermore and have consistently gotten Slytherin. For illvermorny I got Thunderbird 3 times and Pukwudgie 2 times. So going with that story both stone tablets would have been lit so I’d get to choose.

For here I got Weatherwatch and the second time after changing one answer that I was on the fence about, got Flinterforge.

Honestly I find it funny that I get put in the adventuring ones a lot.

((I’m far too anxious for too much of it )) Though they also mention “trail blazers” and a type of “silver tongue” trait in Weatherwatch, Thunderbird and Slytherin. So in an odd way I can understand it. I just wouldnt be a stereotype of one.

• Hekate

August 2, 2019 at 10:38 pm

I was married when Pottermore first kicked off and I was sorted into Hufflepuff.

After my divorce I took it again and was sorted into Gryffindor.

Last year at a theatre masterclass no one had been on Pottermore and I made everyone take the quiz, so I retook it, too. Everyone was Ravenclaw except me – Slytherin this time.

What is this “all questions” thing I keep reading about though? Is it a hidden option in Pottermore or something else entirely?

• Viviane

August 3, 2019 at 12:11 am

Ooh, ooh, pick me!

So in any given instance of official Pottermore sorting, you will only see a fraction (less than 50%) of the total questions available. That selection is made more or less at random, with the only known control being a certain number of binary choices and a certain number of multiple choice with four options.

Some people see this as problematic, because for many, the selection of questions they receive can drastically skew the results. For example, I’ve gotten every result but Hufflepuff from my various attempts at the Pottermore limited sorting, but when presented with the entire list of questions, I easily come out Slytherin every time. And it gets even more tricky when you consider that some people may have chosen one house’s answer for a reasoning that totally belongs to another house. So, yeah. Ask me about my feelings about the Pottermore sorting quiz sometime

:rofl:

• TheMeanBunny

August 3, 2019 at 4:27 am

When it comes to Hogwarts houses I always seem to either be a Gryffindor or a Slytherin – hardly ever anything else. My heart house is most definitely Slytherin though, as that’s what it was originally on Pottermore.

I vaguely remember at first being saddened by the outcome, because any Slytherin character was often labeled as a big jerk or bully. Eventually I decided that didn’t really matter because the House’s own descriptor was cunning and ambitious, which isn’t bad at all; in fact I’d say those are two good traits to have.

My sister is a Hufflepuff, me and her? We’re like two peas in a pod. I’m convinced a friendship between a Hufflepuff and a Slytherin are usually the best sort.

• Ashburn

August 3, 2019 at 11:58 am

That’s actually something that comes up a lot in one of the virtual running clubs I’m in (HP themed). They find all of the excellent internet things for that pairing.

• Nimuir

August 3, 2019 at 10:22 am

I just retook the Pottermore all question test and I got Slytherin first which is quite interesting – it’s been a while since I took it but I’m certain younger me got either Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff on separate occasions on Pottermore itself (however Ravenclaw was second, quite close to Slytherin actually).

Has anyone looked at Sortinghousechat’s system on tumblr? They’re in the process of making a quiz for it, but just reading through I’m pretty sure I’m a Slytherin Primary and Ravenclaw Secondary. I think I prefer their dual-house method!

EDIT: Oop I just saw @Viviane mentioned it already near the start! :sweat_smile:

• Sellalellen

August 3, 2019 at 5:59 pm

No surprises here!

• Belladonna

August 4, 2019 at 12:15 pm

They are incredibly excited about MERLIN

• TheMeanBunny

August 3, 2019 at 9:18 pm

I got 86% Slytherin on that quiz, I’m honestly not surprised the second highest was Gryffindor.

• Belladonna

August 4, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Omg how did I miss a House forum? I love this!

I’m a Slytherin and I can totally vouch for the Slytherin-Hufflepuff friendships. My brother is a Hufflepuff as while as my absolute best friend and the dynamic is kind of perfect. It’s like I remind them to have a backbone and that it’s okay to do things for themselves and they remind me that I don’t have to do everything perfectly at all times. 10/10 relationships

• Alissiya

August 6, 2019 at 8:29 am

Ravenclaw, which is how I identify, but hoo boy was I close to getting Slytherin

• Hekate

August 6, 2019 at 9:07 pm

Cleverness is a key to ambition, wisdom a key to cunning. I imagine that’s why they’re so closely tied for you :wink::sunglasses:

• Leigh

August 7, 2019 at 4:39 am

i’m in gryffindor, though i relate pretty closely to ravenclaw as well. I’ve always thought of your house affiliation being which traits you value/admire over the others, so because I find bravery, resilience, etc to be very important traits/traits i strive to have, i’m a gryffindor!

• Kallisti

August 18, 2019 at 11:38 pm

Our entire household is Slytherin, and those of us who have taken the assessment got Thornmouth (at least the first time) and are both Aries as well. Make of that what you will. Lol

• TheSomnomancer

August 20, 2019 at 2:13 pm

I took the pottermore quiz and was undoubtedly Griffendor by a landslide despite my affinity for Ravenclaw :sweat_smile: why I also feel caught between Thornmouth and Gossmere; Thornmere~♧

• Sora

August 27, 2019 at 4:31 am

When I was younger and went on Pottermore for the first time (right after you didn’t have to pay for it/after beta testing) and I was mostly put in Slytherin, sometimes in Ravenclaw, and rarely in Hufflepuff, never in Gryffindor. I took the quiz 17 times on old Pottermore (I would just delete my account and start over again), and usually got Slytherin so I always stuck with it.

I never really thought it would change so I went full in Slytherin and I would still consider myself a Slytherin, though I think I have the Harry Potter conflict where I now fit much more between Slytherin and Gryffindor. Now whenever I take quizzes, it’s like 60% outcome is with Gryffindor and the rest towards Slytherin.

I think it’s due to many events that have happened in my life since I was 13, and when you grow up and become a young adult, your perspective changes in life when you grasp knew knowledge.

On the all question quiz, I’m like 83% Gryffindor and 71% Slytherin, 45% Ravenclaw and 14% Hufflepuff. I think that our houses do change once we’re older for sure, but I believe that in the HP universe our house would definitely fit how we would be in the future and not based off of the kid we started out as.

• Sora

August 27, 2019 at 4:37 am

Also, my Ilvermorny house is a Horned Serpent, though I know that whenever I retake it, I also tend to get Pukwudgie in the mix too. So, either works. I really want to know more about the houses in other countries too, plus more that J.K. hasn’t mentioned yet (she’s confirmed that there’s 11 main wizarding schools throughout the world, but has only confirmed 7 so far; 3 in Europe, 1 in North America, 1 in Brazil, 1 in Central Africa, and 1 in Japan). We only know limited knowledge on these schools, but I honestly love the robe changing colors for the Japanese school.

• Sora

August 27, 2019 at 4:51 am

http://www.wizardmore.com/

For all the quizzes on Pottermore in full length

• jmpiatt57889

August 30, 2019 at 8:35 pm

Back when Pottermore first started I did the quiz few times and never got Gryffindor. With the latest official quiz I got Ravenclaw (and that was a couple years ago, while I was preparing to start college).

In high school I was more Slytherin; ambitious and clever: High school to college I’ve been more focused on learning and creating – Ravenclaw: but after taking the all-questions quiz, I’m placed in Hufflepuff.

I’m still adamant I’m a Ravenclaw, but I’ve always sensed my loyalty and ambitions pushing me to create and learn for others and myself.

• Johquil

September 16, 2019 at 10:32 pm

I can’t believe I missed this thread, but I too am a proud Hufflepuff :badger: (77% in the all questions quiz).

The thing about Hufflepuff-ness that really peeves me is that we don’t get all the cool merch the other houses do. I went into Primark when I was in the UK to find we didn’t get a cool house tote-bag (first world problems I know, but I do like to show a bit of house pride in my day-to-day :sweat_smile:) I did get a hat though. It’s a very fine hat.

• Longtooth

November 2, 2019 at 9:41 pm

I’m a Slytherin. Every test I’ve ever done, including the Pottermore one, has me as a snake.

In fairness, I’m rather proud of my ambition and cunning so have no qualms with that!

I did find the Pottermore sorting process somewhat bland and lacking in character. Definitely preferred the magiq one as it was more mysterious and otherworldly.

• isabel-fain

November 4, 2019 at 2:21 am

I’m in Ravenclaw! Mostly because i’m a pretty logical person and I’m the mature one in my group. I absolutely love my house and I’m very happy to be a Ravenclaw!

• dara-ferland

December 23, 2019 at 8:08 pm

All the official quizzes have put me as a Slytherin, so that’s always been my traditional house, but the sorting hat Tumblr gave a very different interpretation: Ravenclaw/burned Hufflepuff secondary. I can sort of see how that might add up to a Slytherin. It might be a more accurate description, even if that kind of nuance might not fly in school, haha.

After all, nobody believes I’m a Slytherin! I just got that answer so many times it had to be true! I also was a little uneasy when I got Slytherin, because it was a bit darker than I think I am, but the longer descriptions made slowly come around to it.

Furthermore, seems like Thornmouth has an unusual number of Ravenclaws, which makes me think the real sorting hat would have had to think about where I would thrive and learn, not just what my inherent self is for community’s sake. Especially the burnt part. Given the descriptions in the Tumblr quiz, I think growing up Slytherin would have made the Hufflepuff in me stronger. Weird!

• Miliham

July 8, 2020 at 6:40 pm

Ravenclaw 86%

Slytherin 64%

Hufflepuff 34%

Gryffindor 28%

So it would appear that i am indeed a ravenclaw, which fits with my thornmouthyness

• generallewis

September 29, 2020 at 9:14 am

I have made new Harry Potter House Quiz. We can play it and check in which house we will get sorted.

• LeonKilla

July 26, 2022 at 10:49 am

In my opinion, Hufflepuff is the most underrated house. People always say that Gryffindor is the best because they’re brave and Slytherin is the best because they’re cunning, but Hufflepuffs are hard-working and loyal. They don’t get enough credit!

What do you think? Is Hufflepuff underrated? Or do you think another house is more misunderstood?