How Have You Seen Your Guild Affinities and Abilities Manifest?

Tagged: 

• How Have You Seen Your Guild Affinities and Abilities Manifest?

Posted by WizardAstraz on April 29, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Since coming on board I’ve been a touch obsessed with the magimystical affinities of the guilds. Vague but telling of qualities within an individual character.

After realizing that there isn’t much information unlocked on exactly what these affinities are or how to use them, I started perusing the forums to see what everyone has contributed. I loved the stories that really painted a picture of how some of these qualities manifested but I’ve been curious to hear of personal experiences.

As an Ebenguard, following the law of The Golden Balance, I definitely noticed throughout my life that I could always see both sides of the picture. In fact so much of the picture that I would consider it a manifestation of Grim’s Convergance which I feel @grimangel53 did a fantastic job of explaining here, Magic Affinities – #14 by grimangel53

(Sorry if I didn’t do the link right, still new to forums :sweat_smile: )

For several years I also had a business doing healing work via massage and energy work. Makepeace, Truth and Calling as well as Evolutionary Magimystics were major players in drawing out pieces of someone for emotional/spiritual healing on deep levels of their consciousness that allowed access to enhanced DNA thus evolving the genetic information.

Sand and stone scrying was an interesting synchronicity, I have a tendency when I am at a beach (especially at the waters edge) to draw sigils, some small and some large, using full range of movement for expression. Channeling energy and intent into these I’d watch them get pulled into the waves, releasing the magiq. Divination from stones is something I’ve had the opportunity to learn about on two separate occasions and can be remarkably accurate.

Combat magiq I don’t have as much experience in on the offense…though I have been known to craft a rather mean defensive spell crisscrossing the threads of magiq in a way that seizes when anything threatening approaches…like a chinese finger trap.

Anyways, I’m really curious about this and would Love to hear of your personal experiences with Magimystic affinities! :relaxed:

NightingaleSongs replied 1 year, 6 months ago 32 Members · 99 Replies
  • 99 Replies
  • Saberlane

April 29, 2019 at 4:08 pm

This is really fascinating @WizardAstraz. Do you mind if I move this to the all-guild category so other guilds know they can contribute as well?

• WizardAstraz

April 29, 2019 at 4:08 pm

Not at all! The more the merrier! :relaxed:

• WizardAstraz

April 29, 2019 at 6:30 pm

Going a little wild over here with this, but its quite exciting coming up with ideas and methods of utilizing these magiqs! These are some thoughts from my journal just now…

“Borrowing from the Magimystical Aptitudes, I’m considering my personal experience of energywork along with the phrases of Truth and Calling. Evolutionary Magimystics. Makepeace.

Truth and Calling brings forth the internal matrix, beckons it forward to be examined, allowing the Truth of the pattern to reveal itself, super imposed on the pattern of what is, to discover the nature of what needs to be altered.

Evolutionary Magimystics. A curious and complex blend of multiple powers at play simultaneously. Accessing the genetic coding, weaving in threads of new potential and providing the mind with new material to access and project the new pattern, overlaying the current reality. Applies itself in accordance to Grims Convergence.

Makepeace. A delicate form of healing magiq. Something that, when Truth and Calling is provoked, can potentially bring internal turmoil at the sight of traumas or unpleasant memories. Utilizing the soft nature of Makepeace to confront the undesirable trait and offer it up to the web of Grims Convergence followed by accessing the Evolutionary Magiqs.

Makepeace is curiously soft in comparison to the other end of the spectrum – Combat Magiq. This can be utilized in numerous ways as sometimes the internal struggles put up a fight, it must be exhausted before Makepeace can be applied. Combat Magiq directs to not only internal conflict but external as well. Can be used offensively or defensively. Caution – Use wisely!

All magiqs are unpredictable at most. It’s one thing when casting for oneself but often entirely different when directed towards another. Understanding intent (especially in regard to Combat Magiq) can be the difference between a beneficial outcome or a……not so benefical (BUT experiential!) outcome.”

• witchery

April 29, 2019 at 6:53 pm

Love this and hoping to build on it!

I feel like affinities are as much pieces of who each character is as they are actions or spells to be cast.

For example, Makepeace (in just one of many ways) can be the ability to help others heal from the traumas of life— to make peace with one’s past. This is done via modeling (living a life well), giving wisdom, and also providing tools and practical ways of moving through pain (which is equivalent to spellcasting/rituals). I think Makepeace can obviously be about many other things, but they do draw on the same basic character traits (insight, charisma, diplomacy, etc.).

I’m drawing on my own real life models of how I serve the world here, because honestly I think this stuff is magic!

• WizardAstraz

April 29, 2019 at 6:58 pm

Same boat! That’s why I’ve been so excited to find this place!

Honestly, the blur between realities is strong, especially when talking about alternate timelines of The Monarchs. This has been helping me move beyond a puzzle internally I’ve been struggling with for a couple years now. Finding new language (and an awesome community to boot!) to bridge the gaps of my own understanding, while hopefully inspiring others and bringing us all closer to a world in which Magiq thrives once again!

• WizardAstraz

April 29, 2019 at 6:59 pm

Hah! The irony in this thread so far is this is indeed Makepeace at work :smirk:

• cjheighton1998

April 29, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Let me think… i have a lot of stuff regarding how i cant seem to be physically capable of killing anything plant or animal related unless im cooking it, but im gonna want to put on music while i write all this

Mkay, so lemme see… im assuming you mean how you’ve seen the effects of your affinities manifesting in your day to day life. In that case, i can definitely list off some stuff. in terms of the growth side of balimoran affinities, ive kept fish for most of my life. Once, i ended up getting a few small frogs. They were supposed to be tiny things, lasting a year or two maximum. I ended up going out, buying all the necessary things to replicate a perfect environment for them, and had them for nearly ten years. The only reason they died was because i bought a crawfish and it ate them.

Other than that, i typically end up being incapable of killing any plants i really set up. I mean, seriously, Ill spend a few days not touching them and they’ll be literally the exact same as when i left them when i come back. Its ridiculous, i literally cant kill them even if i WANT to.

Uh, lemme think… animal affinity wise, ive kept animals for most of my life. Ive had two dogs, upwards of a hundred fish, five mice, gerbils, not including a litter of thirty other mice we had to sell. other than that, two lizards.

Umm… combat magiq. Ive been using a blade since i was about ten years old. The moment i touched my first knife, it just seemed… right. Like it was an old friend i was meeting again for the time time in many years. Ive trained with short and greatswords, smaller spears, bows, knives, stilletos, pocket knives, hand to hand, my own legs and feet, and staffs. Im rather capable with a staff, bow, and shortsword, but other than those i cant seem to get the hang of the rest of em, for some reason.

• WizardAstraz

April 29, 2019 at 9:22 pm

Love it! Has me wondering as well about different hobbies one could explore associated with the attributes and affinities of the guilds.

Martial arts for Ebenguard. Gardening for Balimora. Bookbinding for Thornmouth. Kiteflying/making for Weatherwatch. Jewelry making for Flinterforge. Throwing parties for Gossmere? :joy:

I’m still getting to know the different guilds but seems interesting?

• witchery

April 29, 2019 at 11:41 pm

Yes!! Other work/hobbies/studies for Ebenguard: psychiatry/psychology, law, philosophy, quantum physics, peer counseling, mentorship, Boys & Girls type club volunteering, activism, gender studies… I could go on.

• WizardAstraz

April 29, 2019 at 11:44 pm

Oh ya huh? I was wondering about how the traits of Ebenguard translate to my own experience…but quantum physics and philosophy are definitely right up my alley.

Thanks! :kissing_heart:

• isabel-fain

April 29, 2019 at 10:36 pm

I don’t know a lot about my abilities yet, but something strange has been happening.

As a Thornmouth, I know one of the abilities is Time Shifting. Interestingly enough, there’s a mysterious wasp that appears every day at the exact same time by my bedroom window. Sadly I have to kill it everyday but he keeps coming back. Maybe this is me reversing time by my window every day without me knowing it?

• WizardAstraz

April 29, 2019 at 10:42 pm

Like a timeloop! Have you ever looked up what wasps represent? He might have a message for you?

• isabel-fain

April 29, 2019 at 10:46 pm

Google says it could be a lot of different things including these:

• Order
        • Progress
        • Team-work
        • Involvement
        • Development
        • Productivity
        • Construction
        • Communication

Interesting. Maybe I’ll listen close next time he’s around.

• WizardAstraz

April 29, 2019 at 10:49 pm

Might be a stretch but time is also a form of order. Curious that the wasp shows up at the same time every day following an orderly pattern…:face_with_monocle:

• isabel-fain

April 29, 2019 at 10:53 pm

Yeah it’s pretty weird.

• WizardAstraz

April 29, 2019 at 10:56 pm

I feel like weird is usually a good sign pointing to Magiq at work :wink:

• Remus

April 30, 2019 at 12:50 am

Umm, this actually connects to something that happened to me my first year of university, which I wrote about here. However, navimancy is something that’s sort of passively manifested itself throughout my life (not as the glowing compass it turned into there). My sense of direction has always generally been good, and as I’ve gotten older, that’s happened in new ways like having a constant sense of where the cardinal directions are. I found Basecamp a few months after my first clear experience with Magiq and it seems like that’s a pretty common thing for some Mounties!

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 2:07 am

What an amazing story! :heart_eyes: Thanks for sharing!

• Sellalellen

April 30, 2019 at 1:28 am

I think my Time Shifting abilities tend to accidentally show up the most. People around me seem to think I have endless patience, but it often feels like I just… skip the time I should be waiting? I can sit motionless for hours and not feel it. My personal theory is that I’m subconsciously using Time Shifting to speed up my own timeline while leaving that of the people around me untouched, so it looks like I’m sitting still for hours, but to me it is only a few minutes. I wrote a longer post about the first time I noticed this a while ago. Imma add the link to this once I find it again.

Edit: Discovering Magiq – #9 by Sellalellen

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 2:12 am

Also, amazing! This is the stuff!

I always wonder, how many opportunities to recognize we are doing Magiq that we just pass it off as coincidence?!

I feel the crazier I sound the closer I am to finding Magiq within myself and within the world :heart:

• Viviane

April 30, 2019 at 2:30 am

This is an A+ thread. Fascinating stuff.

At least for me, I think it’s easy to miss the passive manifestations of Flinterforged affinities if I’m not thinking too hard about them. I’d say the two that most commonly show up in my day-to-day life are Artificer’s Whim and Assemble Runes, in the following ways.

• Artificer’s Whim: I’ve mentioned before in other threads that I’m very taken by the Italian Renaissance’s so-called Golden Thread, “everything is connected” theory of knowledge, and I see Artificer’s Whim in my experience as a sort of extension of this principle. I think I did a creative writing piece on the forum somewhere that sort of takes my experience of this to the extreme, but in its milder iterations, my brain has a way of drawing unexpected connections between things that, while they make perfect sense to me at the time, are not always as evident to others. (This is probably not helped by the fact that I can’t or don’t convey multiple steps in these connections very well; my roommate jokes that having a conversation with me is like playing Monkeys-in-a-Barrel…if the monkeys didn’t have arms. :sweat_smile:)

• Assemble Runes: This one is a little more targeted, and isn’t necessarily an everyday occurrence, but as a writer/editor who often scours other languages, including music, equations, and codes for ways of investing additional super-significance in my work, sometimes you move something around in a way that just clicks, and it’s a pretty great feeling.

In terms of hobbies, I think a lot of things can have different significance for different people (again with my “everything is connected” attachment). So, for example, painting might be an Ebenguard hobby that attempts to approach/express a truth, a Flinterforge use of skill and technique to make the world a brighter place, a Gossmere method of drawing people together by way of personal expression, etc. I love knitting, sewing, dancing, and writing as technical means by which I put good things into the world. I love video games, reading, and listening to music as ways to explore and engage with the methods and systems others use to do the same.

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 2:39 am

Fantastic! I’m glad you expounded on those magimystics…I was a little perplexed by those and I’m glad you shed your perspective on it. I see it now.

Thank you also for broadening the scope of the hobbies beyond something utterly specific. More akin to the qualities of the attributes themselves. It’s all a little grey and hazy :sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:

• oraclesage

April 30, 2019 at 2:53 am

I would say for me I first started connecting with a few of my guild affinities when I was still pretty young, while some I didn’t develop any kind of connection towards until recently. I’m with Viv, in that a few particular affinities do tend to show up in more mundane uses throughout my life.

Like Call to Hearth was a skill I certainly developed when I was young. I was always the mediator of arguments, between my families or my friends. I liked to soothe the environment, make sure everyone was comfortable and happy at all times. Obviously, this isn’t really healthy, and as I grew up I was able to adapt that desire into better people skills. However, I still feel the desire to Call to Hearth those who are distressed.

Trusted Confidant is another Gossmere skill I felt akin to early. While now it mostly manifests as people saying things to me like “I don’t know why I’m telling you this” or “You have a very trustworthy face”, I certainly think that this attitude appears to me like an aura of openness that people feel comfortable to share details or stories they otherwise wouldn’t be.

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 3:11 am

Have you ever written a spell and/or incantation before going into a scenario that might be necessary to call upon those gifts?

Like, I wonder again how often we engage with Magiq without realizing it. What if we muttered an incantation beneath our breath calling upon a particular Magimystic Art?

• Augustus_Octavian

May 1, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Just getting into this now, but same @OracleSage! My whole life has been punctuated by a series of random strangers oversharing with me, and I think latent Trusted Confidant magimystic affinity might be at the core of it. As @WizardAstraz mentioned, with time, age and practice, cultivating these talents and affinities has been helpful. I work directly with the public, and getting people to trust me is a critical part of my work. Cultivating this Gossmere magimystic affinity has been key to my success.

My other biggest affinity would have to be Communion Magiqs and I really like how @Guddrik_Vollan described it here. Using this affinity to inspire a group of people to work together towards the common good and achieve a goal is very rewarding, but the journey isn’t always about the destination. Sharing in a greater community itself and feeling that connectedness is at the heart of the affinity for me.

In terms of our other affinities, Therapeutics is the healing Gossmerim’s bread-and-butter and takes on many different forms, from healing the body with herbal tinctures and remedies to healing the spirit and soul with soothing words. I know Oracle’s had a different experience, but I’ve never been able to perform Shapeshifting Arts outside of Neithernor, and even there it was… of mixed success. Call to Hearth is also something I’ve only ever experienced in Neithernor, and I don’t have much experience at all with Choreomancy.

• oraclesage

May 1, 2019 at 4:00 pm

Now that you mention it I’ve never been able to shift outside of Neithernor either, er, I have never tried to. I think I would feel a bit nervous doing it in an urban setting like New Orleans.

It may be something to experiment with though, after all this is over.

• Viviane

May 1, 2019 at 4:06 pm

110% going to write a micro fiction of witchy bear-Oracle chillin’ in the French Quarter. :rofl:

• oraclesage

May 1, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Honestly, knowing this city, the locals wouldn’t bat an eye!

• Sellalellen

May 1, 2019 at 4:14 pm

I tried to shapeshift once in Neithernor, and turned into a sentient banjo for a few hours. I have not attempted it since then. It does not appear to be one of my gifts.

• BrokenVoid

May 1, 2019 at 4:15 pm

That still sounds like a pretty interesting time. Reminds me of the first question of the Guide. What’s it like being a banjo if you don’t mind?

• Sellalellen

May 1, 2019 at 4:29 pm

Not very convenient. I was rock climbing and suddenly didn’t have hands.

• BrokenVoid

May 1, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Ope, yeah that does sound pretty inconvenient. I haven’t seen too many rock-climbing banjos

• Augustus_Octavian

May 1, 2019 at 5:08 pm

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

• chasedavis

April 30, 2019 at 3:20 am

I’ve posted in the past about how I feel magic is stifled in this world and how I feel in order to evoke a greater channeling of change and energy the ritualistic aspect of focusing energy is necessary. That being said as a Balimoran I feel an affinity towards aspects of the natural world. It’s been two years since I’ve been active in this community and I feel very proud that it has grown in my absence.

While I was away I felt the urge to explore other aspects of spirituality specifically the Druidic arts of the herbalist and I have found that I have a knack for it, probably because of my Balimor roots. The other thing I’ve been studying tirelessly is my connection to fate. I have always felt drawn towards unconscious intuition. I tried a few different practices and found myself entranced with the Tarot. The difficulty I have found is cleansing the static of the world from my own energy and letting me tap into the cycles of the world. I I tried EVERYTHING lol I tried smudging and crystal work I tried brushing the energy off of myself using feathers that i had charmed myself… it was becoming ridiculous. Then I remembered a thought I posted here. Using plants that were rooted in intention as a ward against either enemies or negative energy. So I took a small potted tree that my partner gave to me for our first Valentine’s Day and I decided to repot her in a new home. all I really did was move her into a pot that I loved and mixed dried herbs into the soil I planted her with. Betony for protection and dispelling negativity, dried Ivy for prophetic clarity and dried mugwort for clairvoyance. Now I just make sure I read near my protective little tree and I feel safe and cleansed enough to open myself enough to do a good reading.

I feel my talents lend me to be a part of Balimora, not that Balimora lends me my talents. I don’t think the guild dictates what types of magic you excel at but that your talent helps you realize where you belong.

Does anyone feel the same?

• oraclesage

April 30, 2019 at 3:26 am

That’s a super interesting thought!

In the past, the guilds have been described as “schools of magiq”. Six different avenues into the world of magiq, wonder, and Neithernor. They each call on different elements, can do different things, etc. I personally believe it is our true nature, the core of our being, that decides what guild we belong in. The magiq we learn from that guild are just titles and formulas given to our own innate magicks, ones that have been harnessed and mastered by the guilds of old.

Sorry, this is a bit rambly.

• cjheighton1998

April 30, 2019 at 3:29 am

mh. I can understand that, though. The wild has always called to me, and ive always been drawn to the depths of forests, the deepest caves, the sea, Always. I have a touch of gold, it seems with plants, and i find myself getting lost in my own thoughts more often than not, letting time pass sitting under the stars or sleeping in a wool tunic, sword at my side. It makes sense, in that way, that i would be a balimora.

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 3:33 am

I Love where you are at with that Nymid. I feel that at the core we have the powers of all the schools within us. We are more inclined to certain affinities and makes it easier to focus…because let’s be honest…the mind is unfortunately not so easy to direct attention.

Also, bringing this back to The Guide…my understanding is that it is largely reproduced with information missing. I’m hoping that this can begin to branch out into the other realms of Magimystics that we have yet to uncover and/or discover.

Qualities and affinities that perhaps do not belong to any one school, but to them all. Or to none of them.

Systemizing Magiq is a tool that helps the mind make sense of a new reality. I feel at its core though, there is no limitation at all.

• chasedavis

April 30, 2019 at 3:44 am

I like your line of thinking. I think we are all so hungry for somewhere to “belong” that the idea of magic that is “off limits” to other guilds is a common and enjoyable thought. I think ultimately the guilds existence is to serve a purpose and you’re choosing a guild that suits you because it aligns well with your affinities. The act of preforming magic is what binds us and we are more alike than we are different.

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 3:50 am

Ain’t that the Truth! :heart_eyes:

Edit: it’s interesting you mention how hungry we all are to belong. When I really sit with this I can feel that strong desire that has echoed all my life. Something wasn’t right, I don’t fit in, I can certainly try but I always have to hide part of me away.

Finally finding a place to openly discuss and explore these innate potentials, finding a word alone is enough to have a hayday. Much less an entire growing lexicon and philosophy around something that has been here all along…and something I feel we have all individually been aware of most our lives.

Totally amazing. #awestruck

• oraclesage

April 30, 2019 at 3:37 am

Well, so far what we know of magiq we know that there is certainly magiq beyond the guilds. I would say spells and affinities are different, as we have been casting spells across guilds for years now. However, we have also seen affinities as fluid things, like in the case of Colby casting Tome Kindling as well as Communion Arts.

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 3:41 am

Hehe, I get so excited and ahead of myself without being fully caught up :sweat_smile:

Starting Volume 2 of the Monarchs tomorrow and going from there.

I’m just so excited! :heart_eyes::grimacing::sparkles:

• cjheighton1998

April 30, 2019 at 3:42 am

wait until you get into learning about the adepts. Idk if you’ve read about that yet but the kemetic arc was insanity. I jumped into the game at the end of it and i was BEWILDERED. i thought id joined into a freedom fighting organization or something xD

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 3:49 am

My only knowing of the adepts right now is of Lauren Ellsworth.

• cjheighton1998

April 30, 2019 at 3:50 am

ah, well. Shes rather fun, but she isnt the most interesting one you’ll read about.

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 3:51 am

Well I am even more now excited to learn more then :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

• Danterius

April 30, 2019 at 3:44 am

Second Mind within Thornmouth is something I feel a bit of an affinity for. Growing up I’ve always found it relatively easy to put myself onto the opposite sides of arguments and devils advocate, and I studied mediation in college. One thing I found is that if I go so far as to section off part of my thought processes into a fictional personality and character of sorts I start to get instincts about what they would or wouldn’t like, even without the cognitive understanding of why. And then I can reverse that to at least come up with a reason if not several. It’s definitely trippy and taxing though.

Something about Philosomancy seems…comfortable for lack of a better word. I haven’t really sat down to figure out what I think it means to me but it feels natural to me.

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 3:57 am

@Danterius Second mind makes me think of a Wizard quality from a book series I used to read. They called it ‘Partitioning the Mind’ – essentially it was protective mechanism to save the protagonists sanity from a mistress that tortured her prisoners into servitude using a form of magic and anti-magic.

Anyways, I’ve thought about Mind Partitioning whenever I’ve had a painful experience…specifically regarding the body. Like when getting tattooed for several hours :sweat_smile:

• Danterius

April 30, 2019 at 4:19 am

I’ve had extensive dental work and totally get that. What I’m failing to describe is sort of like creating a false personality to use as a lens to view the world? I guess? Certainly similar and both of our definitions can be individually correct.

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 4:25 am

I feel what you’re saying. I haven’t done too much writing or character design, but I’ve played dnd and have felt that particular sensation, like, my character wasn’t separate, but as soon as I sat down at the table to play I could feel him come over me.

Really an unusual experience, definitely a rush though :heart_eyes:

• cjheighton1998

April 30, 2019 at 4:28 am

OH NO. ideas. I need to start a dnd thread now.

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 4:29 am

Oh yes. YES! Ideas. Magiq. dnd. It’s happening :heart:

• Nimueh

April 30, 2019 at 12:01 pm

I think the most prominent way Balimora has manifest with me is my love of animals. I’ve always been more fond of them than people, always found myself drawn to them. You know when you’re a kid and you have an imaginary friend? Well, mine was a black horse that I’d watch run around the playground and would stand and confront me while I watched everyone else play. Animals seem to always understand me, and most of the time I understand them; how to calm them, the best way to make them trust you, what they like and don’t. I wanted to be a vet when I was younger. I think the only reason I didn’t was the thought of having to put an animal down. I just knew it was something I wouldn’t be able to do. I’m also a bit of a twitcher thanks to my dad and grandmother (weirdly, my mother’s mother, not my dad’s).

To give you a brief idea of what I’m like with animals, there’s a huge park nea me, and it’s a haven for wildlife. Squirels, birds, local stray cats… There’s this one spot I like to sit, and this one time I stopped there to eat lunch before catching a bus back home, and I brought some brazil nuts with me to snack on as I’d be travelling over lunch. Turns out there’s this one really friendly squirel that if you’re patient and quiet enough will come and take food from your hand. Similar thing happened when I went to Stonehenge. I sat with my friend to eat lunch by the stones, and there were ravens everywhere. They’d come quite close, so I thought I’d share my food with them. They must have liked me, cause in the end they came right up and would take food from my hand.

I’m so a moon guild too, it’s like… I’m not one for hot weather, or sun bathing. Only reason I like summer is that it used to mean going on holdiay, which meant swimming. I legit die when the weather starts going into the 20’s (celcius). I’m a night owl. I wake up late, and don’t really get most of my energy until the evening. And I love stars and the moon. Hate living in the city cause I can never see them clearly.

As for plants; well, I used to be really good at growing fruit and veg. We’d always have runner beans growing in a tub just outside the back door, and a few years I grew strawberries. More recently I can’t keep anything alive though. It seems ever plant I touch just dies. I never know if I’m giving them too much attention or too little. And now our backgarden is basically a jungle. It’s really annoying cause I’d like to have a herb garden one day to use for cooking as well as my more recent want to study hebal healing.

Like Nymid, I’m also drawn to druidry and strangely enough for a reason that he mentioned in relation (I think) to something else. My pull comes from my love of history, and more recently geneology. I am born and bred Welsh, a Celt, and I often find myself thinking (hoping) that my family has deep roots here, maybe even deep enough that the draw I feel comes from a past filled with fellowers of old ways and keepers of anicent secrets. Or maybe it just comes from a craving to belong somewhere, to be where you’re supposed to be.

On side notes, I saw some talk about having affinities outside of your guild. Now, I’ve been on the fence about being polyguild for some time now, and I’m still not sure. The idea that you can have aspects of other guilds, and yet still definately belong to another has been something I’ve comtemplated. I know I’m a Bali through anf through, but a love for history, for languages, for knowing where a word comes from and therefore feelgin like you understand it better, would suggest some kind of Thornmouth connection. Time shifting too seems to touch me; I normally have a very good sense of time, hate being late to a point where I’m always early, and would be able to guess the time of day accurate to within about 5 mins.

I’m also close to Ebenguard. Combat magic is the easiest to see a link to. I’ve been drawn to archery for years, but I’ve only been shooting properly for nearly 2 years now and having a bow in my hands feels… right. Proud owner of 2 bows (recurve and a long bow). Also have an urge to learn to fight with blades, particularly daggers though I certainly don’t have the physique for that to be effective anymore. My best divination results also come from my runes, so stone scrying? Both sets I’ve made myself have been from stone (one from pebbles I got from a beach, though i gave that set to a friend, and my set from clear quartz), though my first set was ceramic. Runes were also my first attempt to divination. They were the only thing I could slip passed my skeptical mother as she thought they were a game.

(Damn, I did not intend on writing this much! I have the sneaky feeling this is more writing than I’ll get done for the essay I should have been writing, lol)

• WizardAstraz

April 30, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Love it! I’m curious about you not being able to keep plants alive right now. I’ve personally never had a green thumb though I have dabbled in the herbal arts quite a bit.

I can feel plants saying something but I feel I never slow down enough to listen. I’ve been working on it over the years though…one day.

Divination with a plain rock can be interesting if you’ve never tried it. Look for a rock that calls your attention to you…something fist sized and preferably on the rougher side. Sit down with it and enter a meditative state, open your eyes and softly gaze at the stone with a question in mind. (It can help to have another person so they can write down what you see…kind of like cloud gazing) then see if you can piece together a story from what you’ve seen.

Love hearing about your experiences. Thanks for sharing! :heart_eyes:

• metatomato

May 1, 2019 at 5:30 am

Out of all magimystic affinities for Ebenguard, Truth and Calling rings true to me recently. I spent a lot of time trying to find a career for myself over my last years of college, a calling that’s recently manifested with a position as lead graphic designer at a sign firm. I landed the position close to home almost on a whim, applying in person for the first time in months, right as the previous employee left the company for other things. Originally, I had assumed this to be sheer luck/coincidence, but maybe it was more than that.

• WizardAstraz

May 1, 2019 at 5:48 am

Truth and Calling…

I just got a feeling of that Magiq in your circumstance. It felt almost like echo location. I just got an idea.

Thanks! :relaxed: Also, congratulations on finding the job! :sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:

• WizardAstraz

May 1, 2019 at 4:11 pm

@Augustus_Octavian & @OracleSage Haven’t quite caught up to Neithernor yet. After TMP what’s the next portion of the recap?

Also, @Augustus_Octavian, so eloquent. Your use of language is like pouring mirror glaze on a cake. :heart_eyes:

• Augustus_Octavian

May 1, 2019 at 5:06 pm

You’re too kind! Thank you for the compliment.

• Darkus

May 2, 2019 at 6:24 am

Well as a thornmouth manipulating time is something I have began to do more often. I would sit down to work or study and the time would seem to never move forward but just slow to a crawl. I would find that it works best when it’s something I actually care about like reading a really good book rather than thinks I don’t care for much like writing essays.

• Sellalellen

May 2, 2019 at 4:57 pm

That could be a manifestation of either Time Shifting or Night of Endless Learning.

• flybat3

May 12, 2019 at 4:25 am

I feel like since my husband and I took the test I’ve been more aware of the time shift. We are both thornmouth, but he hasn’t read the any of the books and isnt really into it. So basically whenever I’m with him and we talk, it feels like only a maybe thirty minutes, but I look at the clock and its been hours. Either our abilities are like amplifying each other, or I’m just really bad at keeping track of time.

I haven’t really noticed any other ability’s, but I am kinda getting interested in astral travel again. I was successful once when I was a teen, and it felt like I was being spun around by my ankles and pulled out of my body at the same time. Not really sure, but I think the experience scared me and I haven’t been able to since.

• WizardAstraz

May 12, 2019 at 6:05 am

Haha this:

Is a beautiful description to me of how magiq feels :sparkles:

• KingDAP

May 15, 2019 at 12:43 pm

Practice centering, grounding, and “feeling” your surroundings. When you are able to do those at will, instantly, and all at once, you will be able to “travel” easier.

That’s the technique I would use in my ‘dreaming’ days. At the verge of sleep I would create a spinning or rocking feeling to “lossen my mind”. Then I would visualize a place and “feel” myself there. I would feel the ground under my feet and feel my surroundings and center myself just like in the waking world and I would be ‘there’. Wherever ‘there’ was. Some call it lucid dreaming but back then I called it conscious dreaming.

• flybat3

May 12, 2019 at 8:05 pm

It was kinda scared at the time. Next time I’m actually going to use some protective sigils or something. It felt…evil.

• WizardAstraz

May 12, 2019 at 9:23 pm

There’s a dream spell some of the long time Mounties have used that seems like it describes something similar. Before they do it I they put a nail through something meaningful that anchors them to the body so that whatever nasties can’t pull the dream self away from?

• Augustus_Octavian

May 12, 2019 at 11:30 pm

That spell, I believe, is “wrought magiq” – it takes some of the (little remaining) magiq in the world, destroys it, and re-purposes it. I wouldn’t cast that one lightly, or again at all really after what I saw floating out there.

• Sellalellen

May 13, 2019 at 3:59 am

I took part in that spell. Do not recommend. It was actually really scary. Those shadow figures kept me awake for a week.

• BrokenVoid

May 12, 2019 at 11:48 pm

Yeah we really don’t want to be messing with wrought magiq until we know how to bring it back

• WizardAstraz

May 13, 2019 at 4:11 am

@Sellalellen, @BrokenVoid, @Augustus_Octavian what @flybat3 mentioned about an experience they had reminded me of what I read from your posts about that dream spell. Definitely not recommending it but offering some connection to what they experienced?

• KingDAP

May 15, 2019 at 12:15 pm

When I first took the assessment, some kind of anomaly I guess put me in Flinterforge, which makes sense because for months now I’ve been obsessed with my new hobby of blacksmithing/bladesmithing and I’m pretty good at figuring out why something is not working and doing an improvised fix.

But, out of curiosity, I took the assessment again, and again, and again… Evertime now, I am Ebenguard. I just can’t answer the questions any other way, which is why I say an anomaly must’ve destined me to Flinterforge first. But I am at heart (or always have been) Ebenguard.

On that note, Combat Magic. I’ve had an understanding of energy all my life and have been studying it or meditating on it most of my life. But alot of what I’ve learned has been though dreaming. Usually in the dream a teacher of some form would come and show me how to manipulate energy a certain way. I even learned the word “ascetic” in a dream, describing a power that I can infuse into objects to make them stronger. In one dream I learned how to counter someone squeezing a pressure point by fortifying the point with an energy “counter pressure”, which I also used in the waking world while training martial arts when I would get hit or thrown.

Anyway, sorry for the super long post. And I have to get my butt to work!

• KingDAP

May 15, 2019 at 12:32 pm

To add to my previous post, I had another dream in which I was fighting these “spirit creatues”. I kept trying to physically hit them but with no affect. So of course the teacher was there and he showed me that in order to damage or defeat the creatures, I had to hit them with my spirit! I had to infuse my strikes with my spirit. This technique I haven’t yet used in the waking world.

• KingDAP

May 15, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Ok, one more that I remembered! And this one I believe is very important. I once dreamt or had a vision. I can’t remember how it came to me but its in my notes. In the vision I saw a bunch of devils or demons. The I saw a person radiate Love in a sort of energy explosion, and the devils disintegrated! And the phrase “be a love bomb” came to mind. In my notes I have a sketch of that scene I saw in my mind. Demons disintegrating in a “love explosion”:innocent:

• Calm

June 7, 2019 at 2:20 am

I will admit a strong curiosity about Combat Magiq.

Blockquote On that note, Combat Magic . I’ve had an understanding of energy all my life and have been studying it or meditating on it most of my life. But alot of what I’ve learned has been though dreaming. Usually in the dream a teacher of some form would come and show me how to manipulate energy a certain way. > Blockquote

I spend a lot of my personal time and energy as part of movement culture. To be more specific jiu jitsu, boxing, cage fights and yoga. It’s a far cry from my academic youth.

It has also been the closest place I have found to a spiritual home and house of learning. Each drop of blood, each broken bone or dislocation a test and lesson. I often spar with opponents 10kg or more beaver and against more skilled opponents. I do this for the struggle and the ego death. It forges your being.

I’m fascinated reading people’s experiences of magiq flowing into life’s facets

• KingDAP

June 7, 2019 at 2:54 am

I do miss the martial arts. Magiq aside, sparring with a more skilled opponent, with real danger in the mix, is one of the best ways to learn, although in my case I dreaded it every time because we were always exhausted first doing drills and other training for hours. But that paid off one Saturday when we decided to start fresh and go right into it. Everything was so effortless on my part.

• Calm

June 7, 2019 at 3:15 am

@KingDAP it definitely is an addictive environment. I think people still struggle to reconcile my mannerisms and nature out of sparring and in. As I devote more of my life to walking this path the more innate it feels to move and fight. I an acolyte to the belief that it is better to be a warrior in a garden then a gardener in a war. My state of calm is deep and resounding because I know it is a choice I make. Every day I have the capacity to choose a different nature but not the need.

At some point I should maybe write a little entry in perhaps in the area “Finding the Way” but I always prefer the passive role as support and a passive expression of magiq or martial intent. I find an affinity with characters like Uta from Tokyo Ghoul or Iroh from Avatars, always ready for a conversational tea or game.

I’ll leave writing anything too serious or personal until @Saberlane @Viviane @Tinker @Sellalellen @SabineBean @Revenir or @Rimor feel it appropriate or appealing. Until then I’m more than content reading :blush::pray:

• KingDAP

June 7, 2019 at 4:09 am

And, also until then, I will eagerly await as I find myself enjoying your writing so far.:ok_hand:

I feel I may learn something from you.

• Calm

June 7, 2019 at 4:11 am

@KingDAP I’m honoured :pray:t2:

I have sprinkled a few pieces here and there regarding my beliefs and values. I appreciate the craft of others here and sit student. If I can offer anything then I humbly accept.

• Calm

June 8, 2019 at 9:11 am

For you @KingDAP @Saberlane @Sellalellen and @Rimor I have shared the aspect I mentioned.

• Rimor

June 7, 2019 at 9:47 am

@Calm that sounds like a good topic idea to me!

• Calm

June 7, 2019 at 12:26 pm

I have written a small piece that I think ties things together but I am not use to giving so much of myself.

• Calm

June 7, 2019 at 12:35 am

I got a little laugh reading this as I have found that getting tattooed is calming and rejuvenating for myself. I totally agree with how the affinities manifest differently based on the individual and life experiences. For me designing and getting my tattoos has always been a manifestation of Assembling Runes as a Flinterforge.

As a kid I always was always drawn to reading and drawing. I would endlessly draw Runes and patterns summoning them fro some deeper unknown source. I think much of my youth was shaped by my more Thornmouth traits with affinities like Tome Kindling, Time Shift and the Peering Arts allowing me to be absorbed in books and to be able to sense the unseen presences.

The something changed; my father died when I was 11 and I was told I was responsible for my little brother. If I made a mistake I’d break him. With that much of me changed. I think as I took on my new sense of responsibility my affinity to being a Thornmouth faded and my bonds to being Flinterforge solidified. I always knew I would be tattooed but I didn’t understand until I designed and committed the first the magiq I was binding to myself, the wards I was marking. There is a degree of Artificer’s Whim in each tattoo too as the ink is always the right colour and even after injury or fire has restored to exact form. Since being a child I have often fixed things be it small things like toys as a child to car engines and equipment the roastery at work. I can always find or make a part, always find a tool and can solve the issue. All through high school I was guided as if by some unseen had to take more practical classes; cooking, sowing, metal and wood work, auto and electronics. Skills I have found satisfaction in later in life.

I have been a school teacher, a coffee maker and a cocktail bartender and I can tell you that Artificer’s Whim, Alchemical Transfigurations and Many Hands are guiding affinities as you craft and transform drinks and ideas into new wonders. Anyone that has drunk a good filter or a well made Old Fashion knows that more then a pinch of magiq is needed in the binding

• Tungstenedge

June 7, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Anyone who has seen a barista make a siphon will be quick to agree that brewing coffee is a form of alchemy.

:coffee:

• Calm

June 7, 2019 at 10:02 pm

Still a much loved form of alchemy and among my favourite crafts. Making a siphon, pour over or delter bring me a lot of joy as does the power of a well blended old fashioned or negroni. :pray:

• Pocket

June 7, 2019 at 1:18 pm

Ooo I love this question, being a Thornmouth I also fall into that category in other kinds of tests: Ravenclaw, Myers-Briggs, etc. There’s a new one I really liked called the Sparketype test which distinguished me as a Maven (learner/studier) rather than a Teacher — which I thought was really interesting because I’d never made that distinction before so that was some food for thought.

I have a friend who explained magic as anything that she personally couldn’t explain, so it included technology of all kinds (i.e. cell phones) because to her understanding turning the torch on your phone on is no different from Harry Potter uttering lumos. I see the flaws in that approach (“cell phones can be explained while wands can’t”) but I also like it because it gives the people around you the power to “do magic”.

So in that sense (and apologies if this is abstract) the Thornmouth Magic that I like to wield is in storytelling — weaving together different pieces of knowledge and information to that place where the unknown meets understanding and the “magic” that occurs in figuring something out. I think I wrote somewhere else on here that I’m playing with tarot cards at the moment, not for divination, but to tell stories with the Archetypes of the cards and the magic of that story (related to you) guiding you to think about something in a new or more measured way. Or if I’m teaching a yoga class and I guide someone to engage a muscle they don’t usually engage and see the magic of them moving in these to-them impossible ways.

Maybe its magic, maybe its celebrating nerdery. Whatever it is I feel my affinity for my guild. :slight_smile:

• cjheighton1998

June 7, 2019 at 10:11 pm

i went to a coffee bar in orlando, and i can confirm that coffee brewing is alchemy.

• Ignatius

June 8, 2019 at 4:58 am

I actually saw the Gossmere affinities: Therapeutics and Trusted Confidant play an active role earlier in my day.

I was talking to my best friend, the kind that would help you feel better in anyway he could even if it meant taking the pain himself to help ease your burden. Earlier something was off and at first I brushed it off as nothing because it started the way we normally joke around but I couldn’t have been more wrong.

He told me he was contemplating suicide. He told me he thought he was a burden. He told me he didn’t think he belonged here anymore. He exhibited almost every sign of depression I know about.

I panicked long-story written in short. Suddenly I felt a calm wash over me and proceeded to help show him that this simply wasn’t the case. I fought tooth and nail for him to realize this. I almost asked some of you for help. Finally I said something that got through to him. At the end he thanked me and we fell back into a rather normal conversation.

I won’t go into detail about what was said as that’s not fair to him but it really threw everything into perspective for me. It showed me just how quickly important things can happen. I also now realize just how crucial it was to be at my desk at that particular time. It also showed me just how much respect I have for those of you who work in mental help and psychology.

P.s. I realize now I wrote this in a story like format but sadly this happen, but thankfully it seemed to turn out well and he seems to be doing much better.

• Miliham

June 8, 2019 at 7:41 pm

Short answer here now:

I think I inadvertantly cast the Night of Endless Learning, as i appear to have passed through the last two (ish) years of magiq in the course of yesterday. Or i just Time Shifted…

• Mellie

June 23, 2019 at 2:10 am

The assessment put me into Flinterforge and Thornmouth the two times I tried it and I think I see magiq from both guilds working at once. I was recently editing a video (though this same thing actually happened a lot of other cases in retrospect) and was working through it really efficiently. By the time I was done, hours had passed but it felt like much less. Sounds like Many Hands and Time Shifting at work to me.

• Hekate

August 27, 2019 at 8:21 am

Okay, which of you time-shifter weather witches caused all the flight delays and storms between Colorado and Oklahoma, cause we need to have some words! I have been stuck in airports on delays and cancellations for the past 17 hours and this is not okay!

• Connielass

August 27, 2019 at 11:12 am

I dunno but I live in PA and the weather has gone from hot and humid to perfect!

• Hopeful

December 7, 2019 at 4:44 pm

I adore this topic and have been thinking about it for a while trying to find the best way to identify my experiences and put them into words. Reading the description of Ebenguard made me feel…understood, finally, on a deep level I didn’t know I was missing. Since then I’ve been seeing bits of magiq pop up everywhere in my life and recognizing not only where it’s popping up now, but where it’s always been is really comforting. Okay so the affinities for me:

• Grim’s convergence – I am still not 100% on what this actually means, but I saw a story on another related thread by a fellow Ebbie talking about his interpretation that it means something along the lines of knowing destiny in some way. That part resonates with me, I can always tell (whether I ignore the feeling or embrace it) when something is truly right for me or wrong for me, what guides me towards my life’s purpose or takes me away from it.
    • Makepeace – I think I’ve always wanted harmony and balance, but I struggle with it a lot particularly regarding myself, so this is one that’s constantly being worked on for me
    • Truth and Calling – This one definitely resonates, I have always hated lying. I could do it if i really needed to, but in general it makes me feel so uncomfortable and just not right. I’ve gotten into a few rough situations with people because I have this compulsion to share my truth and push others to realize their truths, which doesn’t really work out well if people aren’t ready to confront that.
    • Combat Magiq – On the topic of confrontation, I’ve never been one to shy away from it. I always have had very strong guiding values and morals and will fight very fiercely for them no matter what. On a physical level, when I was a kid I wore the princess gown and held the sword. I always tried to replicate the action movie sequences and now that I’m older have gotten very into self-defense and kickboxing.
    • Sand and Stone Scrying – I’m really really drawn to crystals and rocks, I used to come home and hang up my coat and my parents would find the pockets just stuffed with stones and pebbles I found on the ground. I’ve always felt a connection and my current passion is collecting and applying the properties of crystals.
    • Evolutionary Magimystics – this one is fascinating to me, I’ve always been pretty intellectual and love science, i just unfortunately don’t think i have the ability to pursue it. Evolutionary magimystics though gives me that opportunity, and the past couple of years I’ve had huge amounts of self-growth, so i think that coupled by my lifelong urge to keep pushing myself to be the best version i can be (regardless how successful or not i was) speaks deeply to that

I know that was a lot, thank you for coming to my TED talk

• AugustAbel

February 25, 2020 at 3:25 am

I find myself being drawn and acknowledging my affinity of the Thornmouth’s Night of Endless Learning as I start to read something at an normal nightly hour and look at the clock and find myself to be at an odd nightly hour, of an example, starting my book at 7pm and finishing it at 4am, 360 pages went by in a snap. Of course that could also be the affinity of time shifting. Good book overall, and amazingly didn’t feel the effects of not having enough sleep under my belt the next day or that day, technically.